Polenta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Could someone tell me how to make Polenta? All recipes call for adding polenta. Called the name brand company and they are sending brochure but in meantime would like to know how do you fix polenta? Appreciat e your time.

Polenta is very easy to make. I like to bring 4 cups of liquid to a boil. You can use water, but I prefer to use stock as it will add much more flavor. Once it is at a boil you want to slowly drizzle in the cornmeal while whisking so that no lumps form. Pour the cornmeal in as slow as you can and don't stop whisking.

Once it is all in turn the heat down to low or med low otherwise it will spatter all over the place. At this point I switch from a whisk to a spoon and continue stirring non-stop. A pinch of salt right now is a good thing to add. As the cornmeal soaks up the liquid it will become thicker and thicker.

You can add anything else you like at this point. A favorite of mine is some shredded cheese. I usually go with a good sharp cheddar, but you can use just about anything. Once it gets to the desired consistency then you are done.

Polenta is fine ground cornmeal that you stir into rapidly boiling liquid. You can pay more for a product called "Polenta," or you can also make it from good quality cornmeal. I love it! I like to stir it into stock of some kind, depending upon what it's being served with, or my mood, and it goes with all the same things that pasta or risotto does.

Polenta = cornmeal and liquid.

Like CJ says, you can buy dry cornmeal labeled as "polenta" and you can find cornmeal and water already cooked into polenta rolled up in a sausage-like plastic roll that you cut and fry.

You can vary the amount of water to make polenta of different consistencies, from loose, soupy polenta, to very firm for grilling.

...and a little wine as the liquid hurts nothing at all either...:rolleyes:

I love to make a gratin out of polenta and some roasted butternut squash and lots of Parmesan...

I don't stir contantly. I use a heavy pan on the lowest heat possible, cover it and stir every few minutes. It takes about half an hour. I also stir in parmesan cheese near the end.

When it's done, scoop it into a bowl and eat right away or pour into some kind of a mold for later. You can pan fry polenta in butter once it's hardened. Oh, and don't forget the sauces.

vyapti said:
I don't stir contantly. I use a heavy pan on the lowest heat possible, cover it and stir every few minutes. It takes about half an hour.
Mine comes together in about 5 minutes (if that).

Thanks

Polenta is something I have heard of but haven't fixed myself. Sounds so good w/cheese. Just like oatmeal, I truly think the health aspect of it is of great importance. cjs, what is the recipe for butternut squash and polenta? Sure looked good the way the cook made it for his show. I thank you all for your ideas and hints about adding stock and wine. Makes a difference on the flavor when that 'extra' is put in.

How quickly you all responded. So wonderful that someone pays attention to my question.

My recipe for this dish is for 150 - I used to make it at a hotel I worked - but it's real easy.

Cut you butternut in half so you have the bulbous end and the neck end separate. Cut each in half, rub with olive oil and roast till just fork tender. Scrape the 'meat' out of the bulbous halves and mash. Peel the neck halves and cut into thin half circles. Set all this aside or make you polenta while the squash is cooking.

Cook your polenta (12 oz.) and whisk in the mashed squash, 4-6 T. butter and 1 cup parmesan cheese, s&p.

Spread the polenta in the prepared baking dish and arrange the baked squash slices on top in an overlapping pattern.

Scatter small pieces of butter over the gratin and sprinkle with ~1/3 cup more of the parmesan.
Bake in the upper third of the oven for 1 hour, or until bubbling and golden. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

You can also play with this and use individual serving casseroles - makes a nice presentation.

This is NOT a real healthy dish, just darn good!!:angel:

My mother was born in Italy in 1898. There was no such thing as store bought polenta. Polenta is what you make with cornmeal, it isn't a product of it's own. I don't know when cornmeal became known as polenta but some enterprising person decided they could get more money for it if it was called "polenta" instead of just plain cornmeal. Don't be misled by what it is called, it's the finished product that is Polenta. You can use coarse or fine ground and add some wonderful things to it. Go online and google "Polenta Recipes" and you'll get great ideas from hundreds of recipes.

True Polenta

I did try google and they always stated to add polenta never said how to fix polenta. Sometimes probably assume should know that. It just sounded so wonderful when the cook baked it after he had made the polenta. But he added parmasean cheese to give it crunch.

This is NOT a real healthy dish, just darn good!!

cjs thanks for sharing your recipe w/me. Really does sound delicious. I bet it makes you hungry when you look at the ingredients. I just don't know why people in my neighborhood don't like to fix their own meals. Want to go out.
Never know what they do w/food that you can't see when they prepare it. Especially if they don't like you as customer.

For goodness sake - don't for one minute think you have to buy "special" cornmeal to make terrific tasty polenta. Ain't so. And don't bother with the premade "tubes" of polenta (I believe the brand is "Frieda") - they're awful.
Just go out & buy whatever cornmeal your supermarket carries & go to it!!

I, quite frankly, just use good old Quaker Oats brand & cook it up - either with water, milk, or stock, depending on what I plan to do with it. I then let it cool, & cut it & heat it according to how I plan to use it.

My favorite personal indulgence? Cut into squares & sauteed with a LOT of butter & served with eggs for breakfast. Another favorite? Again, cut into squares, sauteed in 1/2 & 1/2 butter & extra virgin olive oil & served with a rich winey mixed mushroom sauce on top. I've never been fond of polenta with tomato sauces, but do know that a lot of folks do enjoy it this way as well.

Hey In the Kitchen, ask CJS pretty please and maybe she'll give you her recipe for Polenta with Shrimp and Green Onions.. it's really good :)

This is currently my favorite polenta recipe...

Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo and Black Beans

1 tbsp evoo
1 lb Chorizo, casings removed, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed + drained
2 pimento or roasted peppers, chopped
3 cups chix stock
2 tbsp butter
1 14oz can pumpkin puree
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 tsp dried thyme

Heat med non stick skillet to med-high. Add evoo and chorizo. Cook for a minuter or 2. Add onions and cook another 3 or 4 minutes. Add black beans and pimentos and cook another 1 or 2 minutes. Set aside.

Bring stock, butter, and thyme to boil in a large saucepan. Lower the heat and whisk in the pumpkin. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal and stir until it comes together. Remove from heat and season with salt and add cheese.

Serve sausage mix over top of polenta.

I suppose I'm just going to have to try polenta. How much different can it be from grits????????????

Grits are made from ground corn. We've had this go around before! All grits are NOT hominy grits.

Back
Top Bottom