"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #41
Head Chef

Now my 2 cents, for what it is worth--this is how I have been served both dishes:
When I have had grits in the South, they were breakfast food usually eaten like cream of wheat or cream of rice or oatmeal. I do know, it can be eaten firm and fried but is served sweet with maple syrup.

When I have had polenta it has been eaten at lunch or dinner as a side dish. It has been served much thicker or firm and/or grilled. Sometimes cheese has been added.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #42
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Jim, I'm sure you didn't mean to infer that grits are only white, but for clarification Grits (Stone Ground) can be yellow or white also -- depending on the corn that's used.

Have Fun & Enjoy!
LOL - Nope! No inferences about grits at all! I'm Italian and I'm a polenta kind of guy. I know nothing about grits other than than that one of the colors that they come in is white. I'm open to learning more about them though.

If you like kale, try the recipe I posted. It's delicious!

Cheers!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
If you like kale, try the recipe I posted. It's delicious!
The recipe does look tempting!! Do ya think I could substitute Turnip or Mustard greens for the Kale??

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #44
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Now my 2 cents, for what it is worth--this is how I have been served both dishes:

When I have had grits in the South, they were breakfast food usually eaten like cream of wheat or cream of rice or oatmeal. I do know, it can be eaten firm and fried but is served sweet with maple syrup.

When I have had polenta it has been eaten at lunch or dinner as a side dish. It has been served much thicker or firm and/or grilled. Sometimes cheese has been added.
Well - your opinion is really worth more than just 2 cents! I always enjoy hearing what others have to say!

On the few occasions that I've had grits they were generally served with breakfast. My partner makes cheese grits that are really good. It's just a matter of adding some grated cheddar cheese to the grits while cooking. A neighbor of mine recently shared that she made a green chile and cheese grits casserole. I'd love to try it.

I did have Shrimp and Grits once. That's more of a dinner entree that's found throughout the south (but mostly around Charleston SC). It was quite good.

Polenta goes way beyond just fried. If you're at all interested in finding out more about it the web is loaded with polenta information and sources.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The recipe does look tempting!! Do ya think I could substitute Turnip or Mustard greens for the Kale??

Have Fun!
Absolutely! It might also be really good with spinach too.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #46
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
... When I have had grits in the South, they were breakfast food usually eaten like cream of wheat or cream of rice or oatmeal. I do know, it can be eaten firm and fried but is served sweet with maple syrup.
That's very interesting. In the parts of the South I am familiar with, you would be laughed out of town if you asked for your grits with milk and sugar! They are served on the plate with your eggs and bacon (breakfast meat).

I still remember the first time they were ever served to me -- the grits were white, and I thought they were mashed potatoes! (I was 8.) I couldn't imagine why I was being served mashed potatoes with my breakfast.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
That's very interesting. In the parts of the South I am familiar with, you would be laughted out of town if you asked for your grits with milk and sugar! They are served on the plate with your eggs and bacon (breakfast meat).
Same here, June. The folks in this area serve them as a matter of course with breakfast, sometimes whether you order them or not. I love grits with my fried eggs.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #48
Head Chef

I have never added sugar to my bowl of grits, although I have added butter. I dhon't recall whether or not I added milk. It has been such a long time since I have eaten them. They were also white.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #49
Executive Chef

They are both corn, but hominy is a dried corn kernel that's been treated with alkali, or soaked in a type of lye water bath.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #50
Senior Cook

For those of you here that are predisposed to think of Grits as a strictly breakfast porridge served with sausage and eggs at breakfast, I urge you to take a chance and venture out and explore some Low Country cuisine... Shrimp & Grits is a classic!!

Tags
None