Polenta vs Grits, is it the same thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure someone will be able to tell you soon... but I am having polenta tomorrow with my osso bucco. So I can tell you if it is the same or not. I like GRITS!

Virtually identical except for the grind. One of them (I believe it's the polenta) is usually a finer grind of cornmeal. Also, I've always considered "grits" to be served creamy, while "polenta" I allow to set & then slice & serve firm.

As they say,the difference between polenta nad grits is how much a restaurant can charge for it. Polenta can be made frim and sliced (and grilled or fried) or it can be a looser cionsistency similar to grits.

I also think there's definitely regional semantics involved.

For instance, you don't hear about "grits" in Italy - over there cooked cornmeal is decidedly known as "polenta".

Here in the U.S., before regional Italian cuisine became better known & more popular - cooked cornmeal was either "grits", or when cooled til firm & then fried up - "fried cornmeal mush".

Either/or - to me they're virtually all the same thing.

Polenta = Yankee culture

Grits = Confederate culture

Yes, some are still fighting that war, but I know in my heart that grits will never rise to the cultural level of polenta, not as long as there's a Mason/Dixon line. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Joseph the Yankee Agitator

IMHO, the Wikipedia has it right:

"Polenta is very similar to corn grits, a common dish in the cuisine of the Southern United States, with the difference that grits are usually made from coarsely ground kernels. When properly cooked, grits and polenta have similarly smooth textures, "grit" referring to the texture of the dried corn before cooking. Another variation uses ground hominy, lye-treated corn kernels.
Polenta is similar to boiled maize dishes of Mexico, where both maize and hominy originate."

Polenta = Yankee culture
Grits = Confederate culture

I'll just assume you're joking, because that's ridiculous. Polenta has absolutely nothing to do with "Yankee" culture - it's strictly of Italian origin.

And really, at this point in time, there are no longer any lines drawn for either. Some of the finest restaurants in the New York serve grits in upscale style, while at the same time I've enjoyed polenta in restaurants here in Virginia. In fact, this past winter I enjoyed a fabulous appetizer of escargot in wine sauce served over slices of "polenta". Not a "grit" in sight - lol!!

That's interesting, & supports my "it's really just semantics". Is it just plain cooked cornmeal, Miniman, or do you add something to it, like seasonings, before it's known as "sudza"?

Cornmeal, (finely ground corn) cooked/boiled in liquid, --- water, milk, stocks, etc to some consistency, eaten hot or cold is/has been part of the food ways of just about every culture in the world. The “dish” goes by dozens of names…In Italy --- Polenta -- Where it was once considered a peasant food. It is now, in some circles considered Hoity Toity fare and served in the finest restaurants. --- Here I’ve heard it referred to as cornmeal mush (I’ve never eaten it) or Coush-Coush – The Cajun Breakfast of Champions. (I have eaten this) Today, in my area some of its popular uses are: to make cornbread, cornbread dressing, and as a breading for fried foods – Fish and okra come to mind. Cornmeal is NOT grits!

Stone Ground Grits…Are produced when whole kernel corn is ground in a Grist mill. When a grits separator is in place the grits are separated from the meal that falls through to the bottom due to its fineness. These Stone Ground grits are full of corn flavor. If you don’t have a minimum of 30 minutes…45 is better…an hour won’t hurt – then don’t even attempt to cook them. They are delicious – Just don’t try to make cornbread out of them. Stone Ground Grits are NOT cornmeal --- Stone Ground Grits are not cornmeal mush!

Hominy Grits….Are produced from dried Hominy that is ground into tiny particles.
You can read about hominy here --- They are advertised to cook in 5 minutes --- 15-20 minutes is much, much better. . They are NOT cornmeal ---They are NOT Stone Ground grits…They are NOT cornmeal mush….You can't make cornbread out of them!!! HTH !!

Back in the '70's - long before I'd even heard of "polenta", one of my favorite weekend breakfasts included "fried cornmeal mush". I'd usually make it the night before & just stick the pot in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning I'd slice it up & fry it - along with eggs & ham - in enough butter to make my arteries congeal just thinking about it - lol!! Ahh - my misspent youth!

As they say,the difference between polenta nad grits is how much a restaurant can charge for it. Polenta can be made frim and sliced (and grilled or fried) or it can be a looser cionsistency similar to grits.

Not exactly. Grits are short for "hominy grits," and hominy grits have been treated with lye.

Polenta is not treated that way. They are very similar, however, and in many places are used interchangeably.

Grits are white....polenta is yeller....otherwise the same thing...

Hominy grits are a whole differn't thang....;)

Not exactly. Grits are short for "hominy grits," and hominy grits have been treated with lye.

Polenta is not treated that way. They are very similar, however, and in many places are used interchangeably.

Not exactly. There are grits and hominy grits. Two different things. Grits and polenta differ little.

Wow, I guess Uncle Bob wasn't too convincing with his explanation, as the debate rages on.

BTW, I WAS joking about the Mason-Dixon Line. Just trying to put a little levity into the conversation. I'm going back to the bread page before things get really heated up here and I get deep fried or boiled.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom