"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #11
Head Chef
Once a month I go to the senior citizen bld. next door and bake 5 doz cinnamon rolls for the old folks and the lady that runs it said her flour bill went up 20 dollars a 50# bag from$ 10.00, some body is getting it in the shorts and it us....... and the rich get richer

Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Does anybody else find this worrisome? I mean seriously ... in another (quite disadvantaged) life, I literally lived on macaroni, thrift store bread, pancake mix, etc.
I think it's scary to think what the truly needy people in society are going to do when these last affordable items are out of reach. What does it mean for the 10 cent Ramen noodle packs? I know people who LIVE on those.

I don't know about some of you, but I know what it's like not to have anything to eat, and I enjoy donating as a means of giving back. I guess I'll go from donating protein items like tuna, peanut butter and beef to donating staples like flour and pasta!

Scary times!

AMSeccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
It seems that Australia has had a crop failure.

Withered crops down under and a weak American dollar have prompted a run on U.S. wheat the last two years, making flour an ever more precious commodity. Only now the staple is getting so expensive, it's threatening to derail entire businesses.

I had read that wheat production os off, which makes prices go up. Maybe we have US version of OPEC going on. Funny thing though, if OPEC were a US interest it would be deamed an illegal monopoly.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Master Chef
Scary indeed.ur bills are mostly food and gas. I just told my wife we should start choose what we can and cannot buy, I mean food. With 5 kids it is really hard.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Charli, not to go way off topic, but I feel for ya ... have you checked out livingonadime.com? Great resource for living within a budget. We are only a family of four, but try to help provide for my aging parents and grandmother in Upper Michigan, and I find lots of good tips there.

Okay, so to bring this back on topic ... I have never cooked with alternate flours. I would enjoy any pointers from those who do.

AMSeccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Senior Cook
It's already had a big price hike here - gone from $4 (NZD) to $7 for a 5kg bag. As has been mentioned, the increase is attributed to the poor crops in Aussie and the increase in the use of wheat for biofuels.
stassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
Weird, I just posted that I paid $13 for a 20lb bag of flour that I would normally pay $5 for. Yikes.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #18
Executive Chef
Yep, crops gone off is the the source, and speculators just add fuel to the fire. I think we ought to declare open season on speculators.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef
I suppose now is the time to try Atkins diet.
I saw an article in our local newpaper about this too. They are worried that many bakeries will shut down because of it. Who will pay over $5 for a loaf of bread?!
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
If you get Time magazine, there is an article in this months issue entitled "The Clean Energy Myth".
They state on the cover "Politicians and Big Business are pushing biofuels like corn-based ethanol as alternatives to oil. All they're really doing is driving up food prices and making global warming worse - and you're paying for it."
Interesting article, worth reading if you can get a hold of it.
It's available online: The Clean Energy Scam - TIME

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote