"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Thumbs down

five pounds flour for 1.99 , house brand at market on line where i shop

don't know if that is up or down. i don't buy as much flour now that carbs are not for me.

babe
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #22
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
You might also want to check out the thread that seans_potato_business started about this which goes way beyond just the cost of flour: food inflation.

I'm afraid it's going to be a bumpy ride for a while ....

But - I think people will rediscover a lot of things they did during WWII - baking their own bread, growing their own gardens, canning ... the ones who will be hurt the most are those who live in apartments.
__________________

__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 AM   #23
Senior Cook
 
CanadianMeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sask, CANADA
Posts: 153
Here's another good article about this issue.

CBC News In Depth: Food
__________________
CanadianMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 AM   #24
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
It is the same thing they did with oil, it is no longer directly based on supply and demand but speculation. Somethings should be off limits to those vultures, and necessities like food and oil at the top of the list.
Those 'vultures' feed our retirement funds. It's our investment dollars at work.

Many wouldn't be able to afford extravagances without it.
__________________
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,768
the price of food, aka commodities, has been a speculatin' for a long time now. it's just getting ugly.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Those 'vultures' feed our retirement funds. It's our investment dollars at work.

Many wouldn't be able to afford extravagances without it.
Not mine they don't, and I don't know of anyone that makes as much off this as they do... so just because they are 'generous' enough to give us 10% of what they make as a 'thank you' for us letting them use our retirement funds to make and keep the other '90%' doesn't get them out of the 'vulture' status.

Checking thru DW's 401k I don't see anywhere where it mentions the option of investing in speculation markets. That and I fail to see how any meager gains they may let you keep can somehow offset these huge increases in the cost of living.
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Not mine they don't, and I don't know of anyone that makes as much off this as they do... so just because they are 'generous' enough to give us 10% of what they make as a 'thank you' for us letting them use our retirement funds to make and keep the other '90%' doesn't get them out of the 'vulture' status.

Your making 10% off of this?


Quote:
Checking thru DW's 401k I don't see anywhere where it mentions the option of investing in speculation markets.

All investment is speculation. 401s are invested funds, thus ....


Quote:
That and I fail to see how any meager gains they may let you keep can somehow offset these huge increases in the cost of living.
I can clearly see where us feeding ourselves or being able to afford getting to work is not 'their' problem.
__________________
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
I can clearly see us feeding ourselves or being able to afford getting to work is not 'their' problem.
That attitude is what led to the French revolution. Honestly, I'm not a socialist or even close, but when the workers (as opposed to those living off of investments, or owning the large businesses, or sitting on the boards of other companies where the CEOs all set each other's salaries sky-high) can't afford the necessities of life, they revolt. There's no other choice. Look back to the robber baron era of the late 1800s - we're there again, only it's worldwide.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #29
Sous Chef
 
B'sgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That attitude is what led to the French revolution. Honestly, I'm not a socialist or even close, but when the workers (as opposed to those living off of investments, or owning the large businesses, or sitting on the boards of other companies where the CEOs all set each other's salaries sky-high) can't afford the necessities of life, they revolt. There's no other choice. Look back to the robber baron era of the late 1800s - we're there again, only it's worldwide.
You are right about that. I have just been reading a few tidbits by Frederic Bastiat, who was an economist during the French Revolution era. He has quite a bit to say on the politics of government controls, food, social classes. It's very enlightening.
__________________
Michelle
http://foodmakeshimsick.blogspot.com/

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #30
Head Chef
 
Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CHINATOWN
Posts: 2,314
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I'm still trying to figure out the correlation between gasoline and milk. It seems every time the price of gasoline goes up, the cost of milk drops. When gas was $2.59, milk was $6.20 for two gallon jugs. When the price of gas went to $3.39, the price of milk went to $5.60 for two gallons. Then the price of gasonline dropped to about $3.11 a gallon and the price of milk went to $6.00 for two gallons. Now, gasoline is $3.59 a gallon, milk is selling for $5.40 for two gallons.

And the beat goes on.
__________________

__________________
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.