"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Unhappy Quinoa - WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED

Just had my first exsperience with Quinoa (pronounced, I'm told, keen-wah) I prepared it according to the directions I received - one part grain, 2 parts water. Rinse the grain first (some of it fell through my strainer). Bring it to a boil, then simmer covered 10 - 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED. DW took one look and said it was mine to eat. Did I do something wrong? I used it in place of rice for a stir fry.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Master Chef

Don't worry, I was not excited about it the first time I tried it. I think the texture is a bit different than what you would expect of rice or couscous. It has a grain like flavor to me that is hard to cover up. I have only tried it a couple of times, I'm like you, either I am doing it wrong, or it is simply not for me!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Its going to be fluffier than rice, but should be fine in fried rice. Make sure you always have enough seasoning. Salt and pepper is enough, something else is fine. Also, if it tastes bitter, you didn't rinse it enough. I didn't like it the first time I made it because it was bitter.

Here's a way that I like quite alot: Quinoa Pilaf with Roasted Poblano Peppers.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I buy a grain mixture at trader joes (Harvest grains I believe its called) that has quinoa in it...if I'm not mistaken two different kinds, a small red one and a larger white one....I cook it in chicken broth and at the same time I bake a lemon chicken, I add about half of the chicken drippings and more lemon juice to the cooked quinoa with salt and pepper to taste and mixed veggies....very tasty. Even my 1 yr old was asking for more!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
I buy a grain mixture at trader joes (Harvest grains I believe its called) that has quinoa in it...if I'm not mistaken two different kinds, a small red one and a larger white one....I cook it in chicken broth and at the same time I bake a lemon chicken, I add about half of the chicken drippings and more lemon juice to the cooked quinoa with salt and pepper to taste and mixed veggies....very tasty. Even my 1 yr old was asking for more!
You got me wanting to try it again!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Good! LOL and for some reason is tastes even better the next day reheated!! Maybe because all the flavours have had a chance to soak in??

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
Master Chef

I would imagine so. I have found many things taste better the next day. There are things I purposly make a day ahead just because of that reason! I'm definately going to try and find bulk quinoa.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Okay, I'll give it another try. I didn't use any salt cuz I'm trying to avoid sodium (BP ya know). The chicken stock idea sounds good so that might be the answer. Also. using it like fried rice sounds tasty. Now I have to figure out how to do it without upping the sodium level. I like stir frys because of the veggies and I'm trying to keep them low fat and sodium. Found a recipe for faux soy sauce and made it yesterday. Sorry to say there's no joy there. Flat. No taste I could discern, but then I've been a salt freak all my life; now I'm paying for it. Sattie, your idea sounds really good, too. Maybe I'll bop over to TJ's tomorrow. My thanks to all....Dave

"The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog" - Ambrose Bierce
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Haven't tried quinoa yet (I have some in the cupboard I've been meaning to try out someday), but I know that with rice you don't usually want to try to make fried rice with it the day you cooked the rice. It comes out much better after a day in the fridge. I believe it's because it loses some moisture in storage. Maybe it's the same with quinoa - or maybe that's just not a good application for quinoa.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
...using it like fried rice sounds tasty. Now I have to figure out how to do it without upping the sodium level.
Not sure how strict you need to be about sodium but there's a reduced salt tamari made by San-J (I think - don't have the bottle in front of me) that tastes excellent. I actually prefer it to their standard Tamari, and I'm not on a reduced salt diet. It does still contain salt/sodium, but less than the normal amount.

Tags
None