"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #21
Master Chef

Bucky, there are so many different ways for a Bolognese, there is no "one recipe" for that.
I prefer it with my erbe rusticana, but it does work without, althought it's better with.
If you have very good starting ingredients, it will taste good without further spicing..

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, i was only joking around. myself and others have been chastised for mistakenly referring to ragu alla bolognese as "meat sauce" before.

just back away slowly...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #23
Master Chef

well... to be honest... in most cases I do it with ground meat.. it's just much easier
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

heathen!!!

GET THE PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #25
Master Chef

yes... I feel very very bad.........
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

lol.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #27
Cook

@Lindazoe
Which is the best to buy? Do you like the Parmigiano Reggiano to cook with or is there a better one you recommend?

The original recipe uses only Parmigiano Reggiano, but I often use Pecorino to ensure that the flavor of my dish will be stronger.

@cara
but I would never ever use concentrato di pomodoro in a Ragu... don't like the taste of it..

I often prepared this dish with tomato sauce, boiling sauce for 3 hours. But from the first time I tried the concentrato, I've never used another way to prepare the ragu.

The world is wonderful because we are different!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
Master Chef

hell... there is another way than simmering it for hours and hours?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #29
Cook

IMHO, the ragu sauce has to be cooked for at least 90 mins.

In this way, tomato sauce (or broth and concentrate mixture) will be reduced (the wather contained will evaporate), and the meat will "share" its flavor to the sauce itself.

If you want, you can use only tomato sauce (not concentrated), reducing the original quantity, and let the sauce simmer for 30 mins: after that, you can add milk and let it cook for 5 mins.

But believe in me, my friend: if you have the time, try to cook it in the aforementioned way...

You'll taste the difference...

TY for the question, I hope my answer has solved your problem.

PS: was my English correct??? :D:D:D
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragno nero cuocet View Post
TY so much!

That's it!

I think you say tomato paste...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Tomato paste in a tube? Who knew? I've only seen it in cans.

I love your recipes and your English. You are doing great.
chopper, I find the paste-in-tube on the top shelf in the same row as the canned stuff. Very concentrated, like double strength. It's pricey, like $3 for a toothpaste-size, but nice if all you need is a little, like a Tbsp full. Otherwise if I need at least half a can I just open that, then freeze the rest for when I need paste again.

Tags
italian, recipe

Ragu alla bolognese, original Italian receipe Hi all my friends, 5th receipe is dedicated to one of the most famous Italian dishes: "Ragu alla bolognese". There are 1000 different receipes to cook it, but I honestly think that this one is the better one. Ingredients: 350gr of chopped pork leg 100gr of pancetta (it's similar to bacon) 250gr of chopped beef meat 30gr of concentrated tomato sauce 250gr of meat broth 1 glass of milk 1 glass of red wine 50gr butter 3 spoons of oil pepper salt 1 onion 1 carrot 1 celery parmigiano reggiano Now, let's go step by step... 1 finely chop onion, carrot and celery 2 in a large pot, put butter and oil and let them cook at medium heat, until butter will be dissolved 3 put chopped ingredients into the pot: cook them at medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until onion becomes caramelized 4 put all the finely chopped meat (pancetta, pork and beef) into the pot, at medium/high heat, and let cook it until you'll see that all the ingredients become cooked (they will change color). Stir occasionally to be sure that meal does not stick on the bottom of the pot. 5 add red wine, medium/high heat, and wait until it will be totally dissolved 6 in a little pot, add concentrated tomato sauce to the broth, medium heat, and stir until you will obtain a red hot broth 7 put an half of the broth into the large pot, and cook it at low heat for 90 minutes, sometimes adding the remained broth. You have to use all the broth. 8 When all the broth will be dissolved, add the milk and continue cooking for 10 minutes 9 Add salt and pepper and continue cooking for 5 minutes 10 Cook your favorite pasta format (but let me say that the perfect one is homemade "fettuccine") and season it with your "ragu alla bolognese" 11 Scatter pasta with abundant parmigiano 12 Enjoy... The principal differences between this recipe and the other ones are: a - we use concentrated tomato sauce and broth instead of normal tomato sauce: in this way, ragu will be creamier b - we use milk: also in this case, ragu will be creamier and more delicate c - we cook ragu for about 2 hours d - we use salt and pepper only at the end of the receipe: ragu flavor will be less "aggressive" I swear on my name: a perfect result is guaranteed! Enjoy..... 3 stars 1 reviews