Ragu alla bolognese, original Italian receipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all my friends,

5th receipe is dedicated to one of the most famous Italian dishes: "Ragu alla bolognese".

There are 1000 different receipes to cook it, but I honestly think that this one is the better one.

Ingredients:

350gr of chopped pork leg
100gr of pancetta (it's similar to bacon)
250gr of chopped beef meat
30gr of concentrated tomato sauce
250gr of meat broth
1 glass of milk
1 glass of red wine
50gr butter
3 spoons of oil
pepper
salt
1 onion
1 carrot
1 celery
parmigiano reggiano

Now, let's go step by step...

1 finely chop onion, carrot and celery
2 in a large pot, put butter and oil and let them cook at medium heat, until butter will be dissolved
3 put chopped ingredients into the pot: cook them at medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until onion becomes caramelized
4 put all the finely chopped meat (pancetta, pork and beef) into the pot, at medium/high heat, and let cook it until you'll see that all the ingredients become cooked (they will change color). Stir occasionally to be sure that meal does not stick on the bottom of the pot.
5 add red wine, medium/high heat, and wait until it will be totally dissolved
6 in a little pot, add concentrated tomato sauce to the broth, medium heat, and stir until you will obtain a red hot broth
7 put an half of the broth into the large pot, and cook it at low heat for 90 minutes, sometimes adding the remained broth. You have to use all the broth.
8 When all the broth will be dissolved, add the milk and continue cooking for 10 minutes
9 Add salt and pepper and continue cooking for 5 minutes
10 Cook your favorite pasta format (but let me say that the perfect one is homemade "fettuccine") and season it with your "ragu alla bolognese"
11 Scatter pasta with abundant parmigiano
12 Enjoy...

The principal differences between this recipe and the other ones are:

a - we use concentrated tomato sauce and broth instead of normal tomato sauce: in this way, ragu will be creamier
b - we use milk: also in this case, ragu will be creamier and more delicate
c - we cook ragu for about 2 hours
d - we use salt and pepper only at the end of the receipe: ragu flavor will be less "aggressive"

I swear on my name: a perfect result is guaranteed!

Enjoy.....

Sounds fantastico!!

Does is matter what type of milk you use? Could you use reduced fat milk?

Sounds fantastico!!

Does is matter what type of milk you use? Could you use reduced fat milk?

A good milk is essential for this recipe, as the meat is.

I always use "latte intero": that is, milk with no fat reduction.

TY for the question!

PS: "A good milk is essential for this recipe, as the meat is.". Is this phrase correct?

A good milk is essential for this recipe, as the meat is.

I always use "latte intero": that is, milk with no fat reduction.

TY for the question!

PS: "A good milk is essential for this recipe, as the meat is.". Is this phrase correct?

You could say, "The milk used is just as important (essential) as the meat in this recipe." Your doing good with english. My Italian is nonexistant, my Spanish is very lacking and my German is quite rusty.:(

What is concentrated tomato sauce?
I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer.

And the only real thing I would change in your english is #5 saying the wine dissolves. Dissolves moslty refers to solids, evaporates or "reduced completely" refers to liquids... probablly reduced is used more than anything. Such as "reduced by half". Then we will know what to look for. Or at least I will, lol.

TY so much!

images

That's it!

I think you say tomato paste...

Last edited:
Tomato paste. Thanks.
So the main ingredients do the seasoning? There isn't any basil, oregano or similar herbs in it?
And BTW, don't pay attention to my spelling above, lol.

Ragu does not want any herbs inside!

Naturally, the meats are the most important part of it. But also pay attention to use a good parmigiano.

I think a Pecorino will work, too ;-)

ragno,
sounds really good, almost the way I do it :yum:
but I would never ever use concentrato di pomodoro in a Ragu... don't like the taste of it..
the whole ragu definitely needs its time so I use the canned tomatoes and cooking time is at least 3 hours, but mostly longer, so believe me, it's creamy, too ;o)

bucky,
I've been here quite a few times, but believe it or not, there was nothing to add my two cents ;o)

Thanks for the re-welcome ;o))

bitte.

how's your horse headed boss, and the biological weapins development going? ...

just kidding. :mrgreen:

we are still looking for the ONE weapon, but it seems we are close to it... changed our profession at work a bit into ornithology as we are feeding all the birds in town it seems ;o)
strong and long winter here.. *sigh*

we are highjacking this thread ;o)

how's Joisey doing this winter?

Ps: ha.. I forgot... I'm learning english at work now :cool:

lol, we're having an average winter here.

but back to ragu alla bolognese.

no herbs?

va fa napoli!

herbs are not absolutely necessary, they can be added, but I've done a ragu without before..
If you have a good meat basis it should work without

omg, you've awakened the cracken!

bolognesse is not just meat and sauce. as much as it ends up served that way...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom