"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-13-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Ravioli/Pasta/Wonton Fillings

Any good recipes for filling(s)? I'm also thinking about a lemony sauce, if anyone has a good recipe to share. TIA.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
mmmmmmmmm homemade ravioli I would say the possibilities are endless! My favorite is seafood ravioli with a light white wine sauce. My mother makes fabulous pasta and I loot her freezer every time I go home! I could not begin to remember all the variations she had made! She has also began adding chopped herbs and spices to the dough.. I'm getting hungry!

Old 11-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon in KS
mmmmmmmmm homemade ravioli I would say the possibilities are endless! My favorite is seafood ravioli with a light white wine sauce. My mother makes fabulous pasta and I loot her freezer every time I go home! I could not begin to remember all the variations she had made! She has also began adding chopped herbs and spices to the dough.. I'm getting hungry!
Got a recipe TIA
Old 11-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Everymom

Mish, you can really wing it with fillings. As long as you get the consistency right, (sort of like a good stuffing in your turkey) then it will be good. Try as a combo spinach, ricotta, parmesan and diced water chestnuts. Spinach and feta is good too. For a seafood filling I would do crab, and maybe some shrimp meat and an egg to glue it together toss in a few herbs and you are good to go.

Do you make your own pasta mish?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Mish, you can really wing it with fillings. As long as you get the consistency right, (sort of like a good stuffing in your turkey) then it will be good. Try as a combo spinach, ricotta, parmesan and diced water chestnuts. Spinach and feta is good too. For a seafood filling I would do crab, and maybe some shrimp meat and an egg to glue it together toss in a few herbs and you are good to go.

Do you make your own pasta mish?
Yes, I've made my own pasta. In the new year I'd like to dust off my machine and make everything from scratch. Back to the fillings, I have many I've made and liked. Mostly I make won tons and use the won ton skins from the market - pork/beef/rangoon/seafood/cheese fillings etc. I've steamed em, boiled em, fried em and baked em. I'd like to try using egg roll skins and I may cheat and buy lasagna dough...but that's another story.

My question is - I would like some tried and true actual filling recipes and to get the ratio/servings size, as I might want to make 25-100 and freeze them for a party or to grab out of the freezer.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Alix, when you mentioned the dough, wanted to share an idea, if you make your own for ravioli, I've been wanting to try.

Striped ravioli dough... i.e. make up a batch of tomato (or beet), spinach and lemon-pepper dough. Place them side by side when you run it thru the machine to achieve the striped effect.

Another I'd like to try - place Italian flat leaf parsley (one sprig) intermittently on the dough - cover with another sheet of dough in the final flat pressing, so the imprint of the parsley shows through on the top. Makes a unique presentation.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
Everymom

Oh, mish, THAT is a cool idea. I will try that the next time I break out the pasta maker. I have to admit to being too busy lately to make any pasta. I have visions of myself doing a great big batch and freezing it all so I have it ready when I need it. Sigh...never happens though.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Since it's around that time, why don't you fill it with a mixture of pumpkin and coconut milk? If you make a lemon cream or butter sauce, that will give it a kind of Thai flavor. Lemongrass would be even better.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Ironchef, that sounds like a winner! I'm a fan of coconut milk.

Alix, let's see if I schlep a chair to stand on to take down my pasta machine.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
Master Chef

You mentioned Won Tons. This filling works very well with both fried and boiled won tons.

Ingrediants:
Meat - 1 lb. Chicken, Pork, or Shrimp (cleaned and tailess)
1/4 cup water chestnuts
1/4 cup bamboo shoots
1/2 onion
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 stalk bok choy
1/8 tsp. ginger
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. Kikoman Light Soy Sauce
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 stick butter (1/4 pound)

Dice the chicken, pork, or shrimp into small pieces, but not minced. Set aside. Dice the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, peeled carrot, celery, onion, and bok choy, placing each into a comon bowl. mince the garlic and stir into the veggie bowl.

Melt 2 tbs. butter in a hot wok or heavy frying pan. Cook the meat first, just until done. Don't overcook. add move butter as necessary and cooke the veggies. Add the salt, soy sauce, cayenne pepper, and ginger. Cook until lighlty soffened. Teh veggies should have a soft crispiness to them.

Combine the meat and veggies into a bowl and set aside. Place a finger bowl of water on the table and lay out a wonton skin. Place a tsp. of the filling onto the center. Dip fingers into the water and wet all edges of the wonton skin. Fold one corner to the center, followed by the remaining corners to form a pillow. As you form the wontons, have a partner place them into 360' oil, or boiling water. Remove the cooked wontons with a spider or slotted spoon to a paper towel covered bowl if they were fried, or to a serving platter or bowl if they were boiled.

You can also boil the wontons in a mild chicken broth with chives to make wonton soup.

Toppings for the friend wontons include pineapple sweet & sour sauce, lemon sweet & sour sauce, kethcup blended with powdered mustard or wasabi, or plumb sauce.

Another great way to make fried wontons is to mix together minced crab meat with cream cheese and a bit of sugar. Place a dab of this onto the center of the raw moistened wonton skin, and pinch the sking around the filling, leaving the corners pointing upward. Deep fry and use as an hors deuvre.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None