"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
The MAIN process to making flavorful rice is to fry it in oil, and you have to fry it alone until it swells and turns dark brown. You can cook it with onions, if you want to also carmelize them. But you can never cook or fry fresh garlic that long. It gets really bitter. Always add garlic at the very end of the cooking cycle. (My dos centavos.) Fully fried rice will really plump up once 'homemade" stock is added. The other ingredients in this rice dish look fine. Rice is like bread starter: it has its own personality.
I don't have any problem with the garlic getting bitter. But I might not cook my rice/onion/garlic mixture long enough for that to happen. I would say I let the rice get a light tan and the onion gets soft. But as always advice is appreciated and thanks for the input.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook View Post
I don't have any problem with the garlic getting bitter. But I might not cook my rice/onion/garlic mixture long enough for that to happen. I would say I let the rice get a light tan and the onion gets soft. But as always advice is appreciated and thanks for the input.
I was just trying to emphasize that IMHO to make really flavorful rice you need to fry it much longer than most people do. I watched Mama Ruiz cook her rice for years. Dark brown. Her's was the best rice ever!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

Looks wonderful, & I completely agree with & will use your subs.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sierra - I too would go with your suggestions. My mother made a very similar recipe, which I still make. The only difference is she would brown ground beef (and I now brown ground chicken or turkey) to make it more of a "meal in a bowl". I'm going to have to make this this week - I've definitely got a craving for it now!.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Sierra - I too would go with your suggestions. My mother made a very similar recipe, which I still make. The only difference is she would brown ground beef (and I now brown ground chicken or turkey) to make it more of a "meal in a bowl". I'm going to have to make this this week - I've definitely got a craving for it now!.
My wife loves "one pot" meals. And since I aim to please, I make lots of them. One is very similar to your mom's. It is a winner. You can also add any leftovers you have in the fridge and invite the neighbors.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
Master Chef

Oh goodness - basic Spanish Rice makes a terrific base for all sorts of one-pot meals. I frequently add some frozen peas, cooked sliced sausages, cooked shrimp, sliced boneless skinless chicken, ground turkey, etc., etc. The list is virtually endless.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Oh goodness - basic Spanish Rice makes a terrific base for all sorts of one-pot meals. I frequently add some frozen peas, cooked sliced sausages, cooked shrimp, sliced boneless skinless chicken, ground turkey, etc., etc. The list is virtually endless.
You are exactly right. And since we also love legumes, the varieties are endless. Oh, did I mention, I love spices?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #18
Master Chef

Of course!! Beans nearly always work their way into the equation here as well!!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I cannot wrap my head around beans in Spanish rice

I make other rice dishes where I do add black beans or black-eyed peas, and virtually, have the same ingredients - it's just not called Spanish Rice. I have to call it something else

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

Another nice addition I like to Spanish Rice? Artichoke hearts - either the marinated or drained canned. Delicious!

Tags
None