"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
It's all semantics - kichri or pulao/pilaf (as it's called by the West).

To me kichri is also rice and lentils it's just the way it's prepared is different.

Normally a kichri is cooked by mixing two parts of rice to one part of lentils (normally tur, moong or red lentils), combining them, soaking them, rinsing them and then just cooking it together like you would rice. You can add aromatics to them if you like. In order to do aromatics, you can throw in anything you like in some oil (veggies mostly and spices) and cook them and then add the rice and dal mixture (that's not cooked) and some water and off it goes.

Pulao to me is prepared differently. You cook the rice and lentils or veggies or whatever you are going to put in a pulao including meat seperately. You then combine the two at a later stage by layering or mixing or whatever method you choose.

Also kichri to me is more homy and comfy and more like the italian risotto in texture (it's softer and creamier), pulao to me is more fluffy with every rice grain seperated. Again how I see it.
In most part of India khichri considered as a simple and homy food but we Bengalis make khichuri as a especial dish with lots of spices, cashew nuts, raisins, we mix equal parts of rice and lentil.

It is not at all simple in taste, it is very rich and we take it with fish or meat.

From Wikipedia
While khichuri is cooked as a rather rich gourmet delicacy in Bengal, it is cooked very differently in northern and western India, where it is considered a very plain bland dish usually served to people who are ill.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote