"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Doesn’t it have to be even vaguely Mexican to be considered a burrito? I’d have to call Thai curried chicken with lemon grass and basil wrapped in a tortilla a “wrap,” even though that’s a fairly new term.

Well, yes....traditionally they were beans and meat, maybe some rice - whatever local fare and seasonings they had. I should have rephrased that. I would call what you described a 'wrap', too.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Texas for three years, I just couldn't cotton up to Mexican food. I don't know if it was the seasoning, or the texture of some of the foods I tasted. I would make a pot of Pinto beans. And when they were done, my husband would take what he wanted for his meal, season it, and fry it up to go with whatever I was making for supper. So his had many "New England meets Tex Mex" food. He would get about three meals out of one pot of Pinto beans. I would make those beans about two or three times a month. The kids liked them sometimes. But they were never a really big favorite food for them or myself, like they were for my husband.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #13
Master Chef

If we are having Mexican the same week I make my go to black bean recipe, (sofrito, canned black beans, chix stock, freshly toasted and ground cumin seeds and bay leaf) I'll make extra. Then with the magic of manteca (lard not butter) and Mexican melting cheese we'll have re-fried beans. Schmear some on the bread as a base for a torta or as a base on a burrito or along with some Mexican red rice on a plate.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I don't really care for refritos. I'm more likely to go with a can of black beans , mash them just a little, but with a lot of whole beans, then add some crushed garlic or cumin, or whatever. I only use them mostly when I'm making smothered burritos or tostadas.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Charro Beans
1 lb bag of uncooked pinto beans
½ lb of bacon, cut into small pieces
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
1 jalapeño, diced if desired
1 or more chipotle peppers in adobo depending on how spicy you want it
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 tsp each pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin
and salt to taste.
Instructions
To Cook the Pinto Beans - Stove top
Add the rinsed beans to a large pot with plenty of water, salt, and a small piece of onion.
Let boil for about 1.5 hours, checking often to make sure that there is still enough water.
To Cook the Pinto Beans - Slow Cooker
Add the rinsed beans to a slow cooker with plenty of water, salt, and a small piece of onion.
Turn the slow cooker on to high and heat for 3 hours.
To Make The Charro Beans
Add the bacon to a large pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
After about 5 minutes, add the seasonings (including the garlic).
Next, add the tomatoes, the cilantro, the onion, the jalapeno, and the chipotle pepper and cook for 5 additional minutes.
Finally, add the cooked pinto beans and the water that they were cooked in and let boil for about 15 minutes so that all of the flavors can combine.
At this point, remove 2 cups of beans with liquid to a frying pan with ¼ cup melted lard, smash the beans, leaving some whole. Cook over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated. Ta Da! Refries!
The rest is eaten as a soup/stew with fresh cilantro and Cotija cheese crumbled on top. Or top with fresh pico de gallo.
Feel free to add cooked chorizo, diced ham, etc. to the pan after the bacon has cooked.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I copied this to my “Notes,” so I can add it to my recipe database later (it’s a process). THIS looks like the real thing. I may have to leave out the chili peppers in adobo sauce, though. Those things are spicy! Thanks for sharing (and typing!).
Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I copied this to my “Notes,” so I can add it to my recipe database later (it’s a process). THIS looks like the real thing. I may have to leave out the chili peppers in adobo sauce, though. Those things are spicy! Thanks for sharing (and typing!).

You bet! I like my beans.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I usually prefer charro beans to refried beans. I generally eat both with some seasoned rice, making sure to get both rice and beans in each bite. I also like cheddar cheese on my refried beans.

For some reason, I am thinking that Burritos were invented in California, not Mexico. Hmmmm.

CD
Old 07-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I usually prefer charro beans to refried beans. I generally eat both with some seasoned rice, making sure to get both rice and beans in each bite. I also like cheddar cheese on my refried beans.

For some reason, I am thinking that Burritos were invented in California, not Mexico. Hmmmm.

CD
Usually attributed to Mexico:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito

The History of Burritos
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #20
Master Chef

Joel, if you're still interested, here's a few more ways to incorporate refried beans into a tasty dish. Maybe there are some ideas here that you and Mark may like.

It's so easy to change up the bean texture, seasonings and ingredients to your liking.

Smothered burrito
Click image for larger version

Name:	smothered burrito.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	30600

Huevos Rancheros
Click image for larger version

Name:	huevos rancheros.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	30598