"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-01-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
Master Chef

Rewarming Rice

I have some leftover Minute Rice (white) ..... is there a secret to rewarming it? I've noticed that whenever I tried in the past it had a different texture so I gave up and started throwing it out. This time I saved it in case you all adviced me how to rewarm it.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Master Chef

I always just reheat it in the microwave. As long as I keep a lid on the container (vented of course) it seems to reheat OK with out drying out.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I nuke leftover rice, too - doesn't matter what kind. I put it on a plate, sprinkle a tiny bit of water over, and cover with a damp paper towel. Works like a charm!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
Master Chef

Hmmmmm maybe I'm heating it to long or something because the texture isn't the same for me as when its freshly made. I do add a little water for steam and cover the dish with plastic wrap for a steamlike effect. Maybe I'll cut back on the reheating time and see if that works. If nothing else I'll just fix another batch I think I can handle 5 minutes of cooking
Old 12-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i do the same thing as marmalady with adding a little moisture, and nuking with a wet paper towel...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I put it in a strainer and pour boiling water over it. You could also set the strainer in a bowl of boiled water for awhile, then run a little over it.

:) Barbara
Old 12-01-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Place in microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle generously with water. Cover tightly with cling wrap. Nuke for, dpending on amount of rice, approx. 2 minutes. Keep adding 1 minute at a time until the plastic wrap billows from the steam. Toss hot rice, cover again, and let rest for two or three minutes before serving.

Otherwise, make fried rice.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #8
Master Chef

Psig.........how do you make fried rice with the leftover white rice?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:25 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Psig.........how do you make fried rice with the leftover white rice?
I refrigerate the rice overnight. I add some soy sauce and oyster sauce to the cold rice and mix it up. The sauces coat each grain of rice. Don't add too much. You can always add more. What you're doing now is just making sure each grain has a coating of the yummie stuff.

Get a non-stick pan and fry some cut up beans, peas, carrots, chopped up bits of leftover meat, Spam, cut up hot dogs, vienna sausage, etc. Toss in the rice and fry up the mess. I sprinkle generously with dried garlic on the cooking rice, adjust the seasoning by adding more soy sauce or oyster sauce. Make a well in the center, and depending on how much rice I started with, crack one or two eggs in the center and scramble it. Mix it into the rice while the eggs are still a bit liquidy.

Keep cooking until egg dries up a bit, serve, and enjoy the fried rice.

One thing to keep in mind. Fried rice is a way to use up leftovers. There's hardly anything you can't put in it.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks..............I'll have to give that one a try! :)

Tags
None