Rice disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robo410

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I have never had a problem cooking rice. Uncle Ben's, Carolina, Goya, sticky or parboiled, short grain medium grain long grain, just never had a problem. There is a ratio of water to grain, simmer time, lid on etc.

I have never had a probelm cooking rice until ... last night. Was making a paella, and used a good quality organic rice, long grain, (20 min) but...even an hour later the rice was part mush part crunch...what a disappointment.
This was a major organic food producer, sealed bag, no damage visible, not a bulk item. And I have used this brand before with good results making regular boiled rice.

The recipe I use is TNT and have been making it for years. I was not suddenly at high altitude, although my blood presure may have spiked. THe only difference was I had this rice which was good to use once before adn I grabbed it and ... not good. Next time...Uncle Ben's. There is a reason for certain processes...regularity, uniformity, guaranteed results.

If you want a long grain rice, Riceland Rice is a good one. That's what I use for my Jambalaya, simply because that's what my Cajun cooking mentor used.

Julia Child's recipe for paella is the BEST and she recommends Uncle Ben's. Arborio would also be the other choice--and thinking about your post, you may have had arborio and didn't fix it with the correct technique.

Robo, can you share the recipe, and perhaps we can figure out what went a muck.

it was not arborio
and the reipe is fine
it was fluke of this organic item that "got stale" and cooked unevenly

I have had this happened to me too. It is most disgusting taste, some of the rice is way overcooked and some is simply raw, yuk.

I have been using Rice Land long grain parboiled rice for years now and absolutely love it.

I didn't say it was the recipe
Glad you know what caused it since you seem to have posted asking for help
Glad it wasn't arborio but thought it worth a mention.
Won't bother you again.

Gretchen, not a bother at all, sorry I was rushed. (did you see my spelling!! eegad!) I was posting mainly to say..."hey it happens, even when I think I got it all under control." And also to make a point that sometimes the "processing" of foods is for a reason.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom