"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty
I cook brown rice in veggie stock for more flavor. I don't eat white rice anymore, I prefer the flavor of brown rice. I also love to toast it in a big frying pan prior to adding it to boiling stock. Really tasty!
I do the same. Really yummy. Brown rice takes longer (45min) but is so good. I like the Basmati Brown Rice. Wonderful with pine nuts, feta cheese, herbs, very versatile.

(I have cooked some rice that just wouldn't soften...but it was not a major brand...grains and beans can get quite old and then they absorb water evenly.)

Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
Master Chef

I like to add cream cheese, butter and a package of Ranch dressing mix (powdered stuff) to my rice. My guys love it! I've also been known to add parmesan cheese and chopped broccoli with a little sour cream.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
Here's my Pilaf recipe.
Hello. I picked this recipe to try for Rice Pilaf. Minus the mushrooms. Sorry, didn't have any in the house and couldn't make it to the store. : (

I'm serving it with creamy dill boneless pork chops and roasted carrots.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #14
Head Chef

I made rice pilaf and it came out yummy. I did not put in mushrooms and I know it would of been even better. I wonder what kind of mushrooms? Any kind I'm guessing. I'm big on portabella's. Haven't experienced with a lot of mushrooms in dishes. I used to dislike them actually. I've used crimini in some of the cooking I have done.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I got a tip years ago about making rice in the microwave and I've made it that way ever since. It comes out perfect every time and I don't have to watch it or remember to turn it off, which was my problem before. For a cup of rice, I put in 1-1/2 cups of organic Swanson's chicken broth in the box and other seasonings depending on what I'm serving it with. Then 7 minutes on high, stir, 8 minutes, done. I even made sushi rice in the mike last month - perfection!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #16
Head Chef

rice is starting to like me now

I've had better success at making rice lately. I'm so happy!!!
I could never make rice before. My brother was right, the most important thing is to keep the cover on the entire time when simmering.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
Here's my Pilaf recipe.
I'm getting the hang of this. Today I used mushrooms and beef broth. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I love risotto. I have two recipes for risotto on my blog - you can jump over there and check them out if you like... the first is a saffron risotto and the second is a dessert risotto with cranberries and apple. If you aren't sure about trying a traditional risotto, than I would highly recommend this recipe for Oven-Baked Lemon Risotto, I've made it several times and it is foolproof. Good Luck with your rice!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Rice pudding anyone?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Rice is one of my favorite foods because of it's versatility. You can have it 7 nights a week with different things and still enjoy it.

Some of my favorites:

- 1 cup chicken stock, 1 cup cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup rice, 2 seared chicken breast and a 400 degree oven.

- Pilaf: (carrots, onions, chicken/beef stock, salt/pepper, rice), bbq chicken sliced longwise on top :)

Tags
None