Rice does not like me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rice

GotGarlic said:
I got a tip years ago about making rice in the microwave and I've made it that way ever since. It comes out perfect every time and I don't have to watch it or remember to turn it off, which was my problem before. For a cup of rice, I put in 1-1/2 cups of organic Swanson's chicken broth in the box and other seasonings depending on what I'm serving it with. Then 7 minutes on high, stir, 8 minutes, done. I even made sushi rice in the mike last month - perfection!

I too use the microwave for rice. My micro wave has a rice setting.
This work fine at sea level. Nice fluffy rice every time.
HOWEVER!! In the summer I'm at my place in Nevada, Elev 6,500 Ft. above sea level.
Nothing but trouble! First, I think my bowl is too small. The standard two parts water to one part rice boils over and most of the water ends up in the cbottom of the micro wave. Reduce the water the rice would make good "buck shot"; cover the bowl with plastic wrap still boils over; increase or decrease the cooking time, not much difference in results.
Water boils here at 192 degrees.
The 20 minutes at a simmer may be the answer. How do you know it is simmering without taking the lid off? Maybe my pot withthe glass lid??

I also have a B&D Vegie steamer I use at sea level but it takes 50 minutes.
I don't remember how it acts here. I doubt it the results were satisfactory or I wouldn't be writing this.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Charlie

If I wanted Home cooking, I would have stayed at home!

Back
Top Bottom