"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
Head Chef

Rice does not like me

I gave up making rice a long time ago. I usually just do the uncle bens rice. I even asked for a rice cooker for xmas and even that didn't come out that great. My brother gave me some pointers awhile ago of which I had forgotten about. Recently, I was talking to him and he said the most important thing is to remember to put the cover on and do not take that cover off until the rice is done. Recently, I bought some long grain white rice. The package says after the water is boiling, pour rice in and simmer for 20 minutes. I put the lid on and didn't even look until the end. Guess what? It came out good!!!! yeahhhhh. I have to use our simmer burner though because the other burners would of ate up all the water in no time and the rice would probably burn before the 20 minutes. I'm just starting to feel a little more confident. I really don't know much about rice though. Yesterday I put a few chix boulon cubes in the water to make chix flavored rice. My DH doesn't like just plain rice, so I have to think of ways to dress it up.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Congrats on your success! That is how I cook my rice, 20 minutes with lid on. Then I let cool with the lid on for about 10 more minutes.

One thing you can do for a change is to make rice pilaf. Saute some onions (can add garlic, peppers, etc) until beginning to soften, add rice and saute just until the rice begins to pick up some color, add the water with salt, or broth and simmer for 20 minutes as above.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Adding dried cranberries and/or toasted pine nuts is a nice change from plain rice - and sauteing (sp?) a little onion and toasting the rice a little before adding the hot liquid is how I normally make my rice.

Good for you - another milestone, eh???? :)
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I used to use the same method, "cover and simmer". However I changed my method in the last few years which is pretty much foolproof. I boil the rice in plenty of rolling water until done (cooking time differ depending on the type of rice), and when it is done drain.
Comes out perfectly and the good thing is you can pick the morsel out with a slotted spoon and check the doneness, like you do with pasta, so it is much easier to determine when it is done.
You can use the rice cooking ball when you become confident about the cooking time of each type of rice for easy handling.

Then, you may want to venture into the risotto technique, that is a whole new treat for enjoying your rice. There are lots of info for making risotto, just take a look at some of the threads here...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace
One thing you can do for a change is to make rice pilaf. Saute some onions (can add garlic, peppers, etc) until beginning to soften, add rice and saute just until the rice begins to pick up some color, add the water with salt, or broth and simmer for 20 minutes as above.
thanks!, But when you add the water in, it won't be at a boiling level ? That's ok?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Sous Chef

You can heat your liquid in another container (on the stove, in the microwave, etc.) then add to the rice mixture. The short time it takes to come back up to a boil will make no difference.

Here's a few more addition ideas for you and your rice to keep your "DH" happy -

chop some cilantro
pimiento
peas
spinach
mushrooms
kalamata olives
leftover ham, sausage, or bacon
water chestnuts

add to the hot cooked rice:
Parmesan cheese
llittle butter, lemon juice and lemon zest
crushed pineapple and bell pepper slices
dried apricots and toasted almond slices
marinated artichoke hearts and parmesan

I could go on and on - we love rice and can't stand to do the same thing over and over!! Have fun.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Here's my Pilaf recipe.

Basic Rice Pilaf
Yields: 3 – 4 servings

½ c rice
1 T orzo pasta
1 T butter
2 T diced onions
2 mushrooms, diced
½ t garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
one sprig of thyme
1 c stock
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a saucepan. Melt the butter. Add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sweat them until the onions are transparent. Add the rice and orzo pasta. Increase heat to medium. Sauté until the orzo browns slightly and the rice begins to pop and “frizzle”. Deglaze the pan with the stock. Check the seasoning, and add some more salt and pepper as needed. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 18 minutes.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I cook brown rice in veggie stock for more flavor. I don't eat white rice anymore, I prefer the flavor of brown rice. I also love to toast it in a big frying pan prior to adding it to boiling stock. Really tasty!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
Here's my Pilaf recipe.
Thanks and thanks everyone for giving me some ideas on dressing up rice. I will give this a try soon.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I don't boil my water b4 when making pilaf. It works out fine.

Tags
None