"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I had beef stock already made, so used that to make the rice. Smells wonderful. There is more than I need just cooking for myself, so I'll make 2 batches of soup.

I'm simmering a chicken thigh in salted water with a chopped onion and about the same amount of chopped celery for the soup stock.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

BTW, wild rice is gluten free so a good choice if you have friends who are gluten-intolerant.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for that. Several people here have mentioned needing to be gluten free. If you see anything like that, Pop up and say so.

Not having to deal with whether something had gluten, I wouldn't catch that.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #94
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I had beef stock already made, so used that to make the rice. Smells wonderful. There is more than I need just cooking for myself, so I'll make 2 batches of soup.

I'm simmering a chicken thigh in salted water with a chopped onion and about the same amount of chopped celery for the soup stock.
BTW Z I cook the raw rice in the chicken stock for the soup than add the rest of the ingredients.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
BTW Z I cook the raw rice in the chicken stock for the soup than add the rest of the ingredients.
I had gathered that, but was thinking of regular rice swelling up. It worked out well, though, because I had enough to keep half of the rice mixture for another. It's awesome by itself.

I've got to go fill up my taster cup again. I think I'll just try the little bit of teriyaki in the cup. I'm glad I decided to try the sherry braised pork. I knew that meat would be special. This baggie was the pork from the bottom that had soaked and braised in the sherry.

I have yet to thicken it up. I'm kind of afraid of ruining it, so I'll eat some more and put the rest away for tomorrow. Can you imagine how it will taste then?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #96
Master Chef

Quote:
I had gathered that, but was thinking of regular rice swelling up. It worked out well, though, because I had enough to keep half of the rice mixture for another. It's awesome by itself.

I've got to go fill up my taster cup again. I think I'll just try the little bit of teriyaki in the cup. I'm glad I decided to try the sherry braised pork. I knew that meat would be special. This baggie was the pork from the bottom that had soaked and braised in the sherry.

I have yet to thicken it up. I'm kind of afraid of ruining it, so I'll eat some more and put the rest away for tomorrow. Can you imagine how it will taste then?
My soup doesn't usually last long! LOL
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
My soup doesn't usually last long! LOL
This one may not make the freezer. It's really good. It's funny, but I started this thread after locating the rice blend, only I thought it was a full bag of just wild rice. Since I got two batches of rice for 1 cup of mix, I'll get a total of 8 dinners I can get out of this package. I thought it was expensive at $3.47, but I'd already decided to buy the same thing online at twice the price.

It was your recipe that started this whole thing. I loved the way the recipe just took of in a whole 'nother direction. I'm beginning to think that I'll never be able to make it the way you did it.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #98
Master Chef

Quote:
This one may not make the freezer. It's really good. It's funny, but I started this thread after locating the rice blend, only I thought it was a full bag of just wild rice. Since I got two batches of rice for 1 cup of mix, I'll get a total of 8 dinners I can get out of this package. I thought it was expensive at $3.47, but I'd already decided to buy the same thing online at twice the price.

It was your recipe that started this whole thing. I loved the way the recipe just took of in a whole 'nother direction. I'm beginning to think that I'll never be able to make it the way you did it.
Oh well!! Just enjoy what you make!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Oh well!! Just enjoy what you make!
I'll keep trying until I get it right.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #100
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I'll keep trying until I get it right.
That's the rice I was telling you about...the Lundberg...so good!

Tags
rice, wild rice