Rice in all its glory!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It certainly lives up to the reputation it's been getting.

Hi Princess! How do you like working days?

It certainly lives up to the reputation it's been getting.

Hi Princess! How do you like working days?

Hi Z!
How are you? Over that nasty cold, yet?

Not too bad, I get to see more people, on the other hand...there's more people.:LOL: Kinda tough when you are used to having the place to yourself. I think I'm a hermit!

One of my old fellas came looking for me today, because he hadn't gotten his hug for the day. I went and found him later:)

Did some good counseling today with family member's whose Mother is dying. Next week, I'm teaching 7 classes...2 on Medicare Charting and 5 on the Dying Process. I know, not a fun subject, but it's a need that is important to address. All the sudden, I'm a teacher!:)

Hi everyone,
I remember when I used to fail in cooking rice and it ends up sticky, and there is only one place for sticky rice which is trash. My problem was always how much water or chicken stock should I pour onto the rice until I now I am a rice expert and I couldn't fail. I will tell you all how to do white rice.
I usually go with basmati rice. I t never fails. I start by rinsing 2 cups of rice. Then in a large non-stick pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add in the rice immediately after rinsing. Add salt as desired and stir continously for 1 min.
Then pour in 3 1/2 cups of hot water or hot chicken stock. Stir and wait until boiling. Then cover the pot and cook on very low heat for 45 min.
For better results stir the rice from down to up after the first 30 min.
I hope my recipe could be helpful for everyone

Hi Z!
How are you? Over that nasty cold, yet?

Not too bad, I get to see more people, on the other hand...there's more people.:LOL: Kinda tough when you are used to having the place to yourself. I think I'm a hermit!

One of my old fellas came looking for me today, because he hadn't gotten his hug for the day. I went and found him later:)

Did some good counseling today with family member's whose Mother is dying. Next week, I'm teaching 7 classes...2 on Medicare Charting and 5 on the Dying Process. I know, not a fun subject, but it's a need that is important to address. All the sudden, I'm a teacher!:)

PM reply:LOL:

Inspired by this thread, I picked up sweet rice and black glutenous rice today. A quick search of the web re: black rice, some of the recipes call for mirin? What is that? Also, anyone have recipes for either they'd like to share? How would you describe the taste of these two types of rice? I have no idea what I bought, figured I like most food, so I'd probably like these two....

Inspired by this thread, I picked up sweet rice and black glutenous rice today. A quick search of the web re: black rice, some of the recipes call for mirin? What is that? Also, anyone have recipes for either they'd like to share? How would you describe the taste of these two types of rice? I have no idea what I bought, figured I like most food, so I'd probably like these two....

Please let us know. There should be a recipe on the bag.:chef:

I suggest cooking up a little of each according to the directions on the bag and doing your own taste test. From there you can decide better how you would like to use them. Use water only, no salt or anything else to cook it, that way you get the true taste of the rice.

Hi, Maybe I can help you with some practical suggestions about rice. On my blog I've a small section about ice This section is going to increase because I've several questions about rice!
Grretings from Italy! Simona

Last edited by a moderator:
This came from Wikipedia hope it helps........Mirin ( or みりん?) is an essential condiment used in Japanese cuisine, consisting of 40%–50% sugar.[1] It is a kind of rice wine similar to sake, but with a lower alcohol content—14%[2] instead of 20%. There are three general types. The first is hon mirin (lit. true mirin),[3] which contains alcohol. The second is shio mirin, which contains alcohol as well as 1.5% salt[1] to avoid alcohol tax. The third is shin mirin (lit. new mirin),[4] or mirin-fu chomiryo (lit. mirin-like seasoning),[5] which contains less than 1% alcohol yet retains the same flavour.

Okay--I cooked up a batch of the black glutenous rice yesterday (I soaked it for about 4 hours--it took about the same amount of time to cook as brown or cargo rice). Yes, it does have a purplish-color to it <g>. I cooked some just to taste it...hmmm...sticky. I would say it has a sweet, somewhat nutty flavor. Now to figure out what to do with the rest of it. My DH didn't particularly care for it. Too sticky. Maybe if I make a coconut juice rice pudding he'll like it...

cws, how about warming a serving of the sticky rice, then top it with sliced mango and reduced sweetened coconut milk?

one of my favourite thai desserts.

I found a nice article on a magazine speaking about rice and wine. Do u know which is the better wine to combine with risotto? Well, that chef suggested the white wines, expecially those with a light perlage.
I thought it'd be interesting for u to know! :huh:
do u agree with him?
he told that into risotto, u have to add a table spoon of cream at the end of cooking, so that it gives a smoothy delight to the dish...
Simona

I was always told that you do not add cream to risotto but I can see where just a small amount would add a lovely smooth and rich mouth feel to the dish. Can't comment on the wine.

Thank you Princess...speaking of rice, does anyone have a recipe for brown/wild rice and a mixture of lentils?? I'm adding whole grains and legumes to my diet.
thanks!

Thank you Princess...speaking of rice, does anyone have a recipe for brown/wild rice and a mixture of lentils?? I'm adding whole grains and legumes to my diet.
thanks!
I added brown & wild rice medley and lentils to my veggie beef soup.

The pilaf recipe I posted has lentils and wild rice. I add lentils/barley to my wild rice all the time. I just make sure that I have enough water for the grains.

Hi Lou10,

I like to combine brown rice & barley as a base & then add various mixtures of sauteed onion, mushrooms, garlic, vegetables & seasonings to that.

Tim Abbott

Back
Top Bottom