Rice Made With Tea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I decided to experiment last night. I love rice, but am always looking to inject more flavor into it. After dinner i was playing around and made a batch of rice, but instead of water I used Lapsang Souchong tea.

For those that are not familiar with that tea, it is a smoked tea that smells exactly like a campfire.

The rice came out great. i used white basmati and after cooking it was the color of brown rice. It had a wonderful smoky smell, but the taste was very subtle. i think it would go great with chicken or fish dishes. the flavor would not overpower even the most delicate of flavors, but the aroma would add a lot to many foods.

After this successful trial I will be trying other liquids instead of water. orange juice is on my list as well as other teas and maybe some sort of lemon juice/water mix.

Hmmm, great idea!
Maybe I'll try it with my lemon zinger....

:) Wow, that sounds fantastic is this tea hard to find? Have you heard of pasta cooked with red wine? I read about it some where but have not tried it. I have added white wine to mushroom risotto on my on accord and it was great.

The tea is easy to find in specialty tea shops and online, but I have never seen it in a supermarket.

I have heard of pasta cooked in red wine, but have never tried it because it just seems so wasteful to me. Most of the wine ends up down the drain. At least with the rice, all the liquid is absorbed. I would love to taste pasta cooked in wine though. I bet it is delicious!

Yum GB, what a great idea!
Suziquzie, I was thinking the same thing but with Red Zinger ... I think the color would be fun for a cold rice salad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom