"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Ads

Unhealthy or what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Paula Deene is a TV cook. She comes from Georgia and is famous for her most unhealthy recipes. Loaded with tons of butter, sugar and everything else done in excess. Almost all her foods are fried. She was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and hid it for a couple of years. Then she became a spokesperson for a pharmaceutical company that makes medicine for diabetes. She caught a LOT of flak for hiding her own diagnosis while pushing the most unhealthy recipes on her show. She no longer is making new shows. Her own shows are all in reruns.

Today her two sons have their own cooking shows and are more conscience of healthy eating.

Aside from all of that, her personal story is very interesting. She owns a restaurant called "the Lady and Sons" restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. The first restaurant was on the watgerefron and a rather unsavory part of town. But it was the only place where she could afford to start out. It gained a lot of fame due to her TV show. She then could afford to move to a more acceptable part of town and did.

The following site shows how unhealthy her recipes are. Note the half pound of butter,, cream cheese, a full box of sugar, etc.

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

She was a bank teller in Albany, GA. there was a holdup and she was the targeted tell. It shook her up really bad. Then there was a second one. Again she was the targeted teller. This really did her in and she developed a serious case of agoraphobia. Fear of leaving her home and going outside. She needed an income and started to make brown lunch bag lunches for her boys to sell for her. From there the rest is history. With professional help, she was able to overcome her agoraphobia and started up her restaurant.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, that is a lot to overcome, well done to her

That would be one of the scariest things, being held up like that
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have several friends that live in Georgia. And not one of them have the accent that PD has. It is all put on.
LOL I totally disagree with it being a "put on". That's like saying the unique way things are pronounced in Boston is all fake as well.

I lived there (in Alabama) and every single person who heard me speak made a comment about me being a Yankee. I had to listen closely to everything said because even though everyone was speaking English, they sounded nothing at all like me. People most definitely sound and speak like that down there. And if someone doesn't, they're not locals or they've worked hard to remove the accent.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
LOL I totally disagree with it being a "put on". That's like saying the unique way things are pronounced in Boston is all fake as well.

I lived there (in Alabama) and every single person who heard me speak made a comment about me being a Yankee. I had to listen closely to everything said because even though everyone was speaking English, they sounded nothing at all like me. People most definitely sound and speak like that down there. And if someone doesn't, they're not locals or they've worked hard to remove the accent.
She was raised by her grandmother Paul along with her aunt Trina. They spent their total childhood together. Her mother died when she was very young. If you listen to her brother talk and her aunt, they don't sound like her at all. Even her husband who also grew up in the same area doesn't sound like her.

My youngest daughter Maureen married a feller from Albany. He certainly didn't sound like her. And when you listen to her two boys, they don't sound like her. Even her brother Bubba who grew up in the same household that she and Trina did, doesn't sound like her. They all have southern accents, but none like hers. I lived in Texas for a number of years. Now the Texas accent is rather strong, but they don't have a drawl. And I could understand them. They just couldn't understand my Boston accent. If you listen to any of her guests that are from that part of Georgia, you will not hear that heavy drawn-out accent that she is putting on. Trina told me that she used to get really mad when she heard any criticism about her accent. So she adopted the attitude of "if they want to hear a southern accent, I will give them one." Now she does. Each area of the south has their own accent. My second husband and his family came from Kentucky and Virginia. My husband grew up in West Virginia. He didn't sound like any member of his family. He was the baby of the family and developed the accent of his peers. My sister married a person from West Virginia and he sounded just like my husband. All their H's had a HA in front of it and yet his family members didn't. The word 'it' became 'hit'.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Sous Chef

ya Addie. Each person has a different 'ear' for hearing. Some people just don't 'listen'. It's pretty obvious to me that PD is faking her accent. She tries too hard. Anyway, it comes across pretty lame in my opinion. I didn't really care for the re-run I saw and I don't watch her. "OK, now Ya'ALL, just fill that there deep fryer with salted butter Ya'ALL............"
Her pie plate is pretty though
Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
ya Addie. Each person has a different 'ear' for hearing. Some people just don't 'listen'. It's pretty obvious to me that PD is faking her accent. She tries too hard. Anyway, it comes across pretty lame in my opinion. I didn't really care for the re-run I saw and I don't watch her. "OK, now Ya'ALL, just fill that there deep fryer with salted butter Ya'ALL............"
Her pie plate is pretty though
I call it "jumping the shark," from that episode of "Happy Days" where Fonzie ski-jumped over a shark in his leather jacket. It's when a TV show becomes a caricature of itself, often by exaggerating the most popular elements. Paula definitely exaggerates her accent, but it's not all fake. For the record, I can't stand her voice and don't care for her food, but she comes on after "Barefoot Contessa," so sometimes I hear it by accident
Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I call it "jumping the shark," from that episode of "Happy Days" where Fonzie ski-jumped over a shark in his leather jacket. It's when a TV show becomes a caricature of itself, often by exaggerating the most popular elements. Paula definitely exaggerates her accent, but it's not all fake. For the record, I can't stand her voice and don't care for her food, but she comes on after "Barefoot Contessa," so sometimes I hear it by accident

"Jumping the Whale"
Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

OKAY, get out the big sticks. I like PD and both of her boys. I don't often cook as she does but my son-in-law loves her cakes and pies. Even her roasts and biscuits. Since he comes here for dinner each Sunday we cook PD. It is tasty just keep your amounts down.
kades
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Ohhhh.... are those HER boys? Big boys for 13

Tags
recipe, rice

Rice Melt [SIZE="4"][/SIZE][SIZE="4"]RICE MELT [/SIZE] 4 - 6 cups Cooked Steamed Rice 2 Tblsp. Oil (vege or olive) 2 Tblsp. Butter 1 Lg. Onion, halved & sliced thin 1/2 Red or Green Bell Pepper, large diced (optional) 6-8 sm. whole Chili Peppers, puncture w/fork 6 cloves Garlic, cut in slices 1 cup Jack Cheese, shredded (swiss, cheddar, your taste) 1/2 tsp. dried Dill Weed or Parsley Saute the Onion, Pepper, Chili's & Garlic in the Butter & Oil until very well browned. Place Steamed Rice in a buttered or oiled baking dish. Spread Saute evenly over the top. Sprinkle w/shredded Cheese & Dill. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes until nicely browned on top. :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews