"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Rice Melt

RICE MELT

4 - 6 cups Cooked Steamed Rice
2 Tblsp. Oil (vege or olive)
2 Tblsp. Butter
1 Lg. Onion, halved & sliced thin
1/2 Red or Green Bell Pepper, large diced (optional)
6-8 sm. whole Chili Peppers, puncture w/fork
6 cloves Garlic, cut in slices
1 cup Jack Cheese, shredded (swiss, cheddar, your taste)
1/2 tsp. dried Dill Weed or Parsley

Saute the Onion, Pepper, Chili's & Garlic in the Butter & Oil until very well
browned.

Place Steamed Rice in a buttered or oiled baking dish.
Spread Saute evenly over the top.
Sprinkle w/shredded Cheese & Dill.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes until nicely browned on top.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds lovely, thanks Chef

Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

hmmm, like a loaded cheesy pilaf
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
hmmm, like a loaded cheesy pilaf
Uhmmm Hhmmmmm. You Got It.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Anything with cheese is good in my books
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Anything with cheese is good in my books
Now ain't that the truth y'all?
(oh geeze, I'm turning into Paula Deane hehe)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
A little tidbit about PD.

I was very good friends with her Aunti Trina. We often talked on the phone. Growing up together, her accent was never like it was on TV. And Aunt Trina's certainly isn't either. I have several friends that live in Georgia. And not one of them have the accent that PD has. It is all put on.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
Chef, who is Paula Deane?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Chef, who is Paula Deane?
Paula Deene is a TV cook. She comes from Georgia and is famous for her most unhealthy recipes. Loaded with tons of butter, sugar and everything else done in excess. Almost all her foods are fried. She was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and hid it for a couple of years. Then she became a spokesperson for a pharmaceutical company that makes medicine for diabetes. She caught a LOT of flak for hiding her own diagnosis while pushing the most unhealthy recipes on her show. She no longer is making new shows. Her own shows are all in reruns.

Today her two sons have their own cooking shows and are more conscience of healthy eating.

Aside from all of that, her personal story is very interesting. She owns a restaurant called "the Lady and Sons" restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. The first restaurant was on the watgerefron and a rather unsavory part of town. But it was the only place where she could afford to start out. It gained a lot of fame due to her TV show. She then could afford to move to a more acceptable part of town and did.

The following site shows how unhealthy her recipes are. Note the half pound of butter,, cream cheese, a full box of sugar, etc.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Paula Deene is a TV cook. She comes from Georgia and is famous for her most unhealthy recipes. Loaded with tons of butter, sugar and everything else done in excess. Almost all her foods are fried. She was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and hid it for a couple of years. Then she became a spokesperson for a pharmaceutical company that makes medicine for diabetes. She caught a LOT of flak for hiding her own diagnosis while pushing the most unhealthy recipes on her show. She no longer is making new shows. Her own shows are all in reruns.

Today her two sons have their own cooking shows and are more conscience of healthy eating.

Aside from all of that, her personal story is very interesting. She owns a restaurant called "the Lady and Sons" restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. The first restaurant was on the watgerefron and a rather unsavory part of town. But it was the only place where she could afford to start out. It gained a lot of fame due to her TV show. She then could afford to move to a more acceptable part of town and did.

The following site shows how unhealthy her recipes are. Note the half pound of butter,, cream cheese, a full box of sugar, etc.

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network
oh wow! Addie, I didn't know a thing about her. Her accent on her show does sound fake. She looks like she could cuss up a storm, in fact she nearly did hehe. I've only seen a couple of shows, but my niece bought me a pie plate with her name on it so I figured out who she was when I 'tripped' over one of her re-runs. You're right about the unhealthy cooking. She gobbled up 1/4 Lb. of chocolate just while making some fried donuts dunked in chocolate, dunking, eating, donuts, dunking, eating, donuts.................

Tags
recipe, rice

Rice Melt [SIZE="4"][/SIZE][SIZE="4"]RICE MELT [/SIZE] 4 - 6 cups Cooked Steamed Rice 2 Tblsp. Oil (vege or olive) 2 Tblsp. Butter 1 Lg. Onion, halved & sliced thin 1/2 Red or Green Bell Pepper, large diced (optional) 6-8 sm. whole Chili Peppers, puncture w/fork 6 cloves Garlic, cut in slices 1 cup Jack Cheese, shredded (swiss, cheddar, your taste) 1/2 tsp. dried Dill Weed or Parsley Saute the Onion, Pepper, Chili's & Garlic in the Butter & Oil until very well browned. Place Steamed Rice in a buttered or oiled baking dish. Spread Saute evenly over the top. Sprinkle w/shredded Cheese & Dill. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes until nicely browned on top. :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews