"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Master Chef

Rice Pudding - Baked or boiled?

Do you cook rice pudding in the oven or in a saucepan on the hob?

You don't seem to see baked rice pudding on cooking programmes these days. Even Ina Garten was demo'ing a rice pudding made in a saucepan the other day - sacrilege! You don't get the lovely sweet brown skin on the top that you get when the rice pudding is cooked in the oven all morning with no lid on it. When I was little my Dad and I used to fight over whose turn it was to get the skin.

Incidentally, full cream milk please - or even better, if you can get it, make your rice pudding with Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey) cows milk. Luxurious just doesn't begin to describe it especially when it's been in the oven for a long time and has acquired a faintly caramel-ish flavour.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

My mom used to make it on the stovetop and so do I on there rare occasion when I make it.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Baked. At our house. With some eggs and milk/cream stirred in so it forms a custardy top as it bakes. Sprinkle of cinnamon.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Baked. For quite long time. Full cream, fresh as you can get it. And when it went to the table to serve, raspberry jam. That's my memory of rice pudding in Cheshire, England, where I grew up in a small village called Frodsham - mentioned in the Domesday Book -and there were dairy farms everywhere.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Head Chef

British rice pudding baked otherwise it becomes Swedish rice porridge and we all love the crust and the boiled one has no crust.

Sometimes I go nuts and do seven skin porridge, which is a boiled rice porridge, baked in thin layers with sugar on top, so in the end you have seven layers of crust hard sugary goodness. Yum.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never liked the mouth feel of rice pudding but I love tapioca pudding. Go figure.
I'm going to try this recipe..https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...n-sugar-brulee

Please excuse the derailment, and carry on.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Baked. For quite long time. Full cream, fresh as you can get it. And when it went to the table to serve, raspberry jam. That's my memory of rice pudding in Cheshire, England, where I grew up in a small village called Frodsham - mentioned in the Domesday Book -and there were dairy farms everywhere.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Hi, Di. I'm a Cheshire girl too but up at the top of the county close to both the Lancashire and Derbyshire borders - what one of my primary school teachers called "the Cheshire pan handle" (I think he'd been watching to many Westerns!).

Oh, and I'm a "Di" too in "real" life.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

We grew up with rice puddings and also macaroni puddings all baked in an enamel dish. I still make these. Bit of sugar 2 eggs stirred with milk and then rice in with a knob of butter, pinch nutmeg on top and into,the oven. I'm still using my late mothers enamel dishes. Great memories from my childhood.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My gramma and my mom both made good baked rice pudding. The few times I've made it, I baked it as well. Need to make it again, it's been a long time.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
Master Chef

Rice pudding was one of those things that we always baked when we had the oven on for some other purpose. It was always hit or miss as far as the texture, if it turned out dry we would pour a little milk over each serving.

My sister used to make Gloried Rice for potlucks, kids seem to like it better than the old-fashioned baked rice pudding.

This is one of many similar recipes.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22627/glorified-rice/

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, other, pudding, rice