"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyopl View Post
I love fried rice and I recently got a Wok that is nicely seasoned now and thought I would try making fried rice.
However I never had success making rice, always too mushy.
I use Tilda basmati rice but I could get other if it's better for fried rice.
Could you suggest some recipe on how to prepare rice ?
Do not use basmati or jasmine rice.

I use short grain rice because that is what we normally have. (Long grain works just fine.) After we eat I put the leftovers into a plastic zip lock bag and put it into the fridge until the next day. This helps the outside dry out and prevents the rice from becoming mushy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Don't be afraid to separate the kernels by rubbing clumps of rice between your palms before adding it to the wok.
Since I normaly cook with short grain rice this is what I have to do.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have never had a problem with the grains not separating. Maybe it's because I only use brown rice. Sure, it clumps when it gets cold, but a light push with a spatula and the clump falls apart.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have never had a problem with the grains not separating. Maybe it's because I only use brown rice. Sure, it clumps when it gets cold, but a light push with a spatula and the clump falls apart.
We cook our rice to be sticky, how else could we eat it with chop stix?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
One at a time...
Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle View Post

i've just never understood the need for a rice cooker and yet another costly electrical appliance to take up counter or cabinet space. Maybe if i made rice every single day, but my rice turns out perfect every time in my multi purpose pot on top of the stove. Jes saying.
+1

And this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3203519468.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	17712
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I don't have a problem eating my rice with chop sticks. I've been known to eat curries with basmati rice with chop sticks.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+1

And this:

Attachment 17712
That's hilarious.

It just takes practice. I'm eating leftover Lebanese food with chop sticks right now, even the tabouli.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I grew up using chopsticks, Dad brought them home from Korea. As for the rice cooker...I did trade that in on a slow cooker/electric pressure cooker/rice cooker/steamer combo. Love it. Freed up a bunch of space. I do make lots of rice and oatmeal on the weekends for the week. Rice and Oatmeal for two for a week, one cook...saves me lots of time.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've just never understood the need for a rice cooker and yet another costly electrical appliance to take up counter or cabinet space. Maybe if I made rice every single day, but my rice turns out perfect every time in my multi purpose pot on top of the stove. Jes saying.
When you want to make waffles, do you pour batter on the floor and stomp on it with hot sneakers?

A rice cooker is an appliance for making perfect rice every time, just like a waffle iron is an appliance for making perfect waffles every time and a deep fryer is an appliance for making perfect french fries every time. You will find that most households that eat rice with a majority of their meals own a rice cooker. So do restaurants that serve rice with their cuisine.

Oh, and rice cookers are only as expensive as you want them to be. You can buy a rice cooker at your local drug store for less than $15.00 American. Mine is a Krups and cost significantly more, but it also steams vegetables, slow cooks, and cooks steel cut oatmeal.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
When you want to make waffles, do you pour batter on the floor and stomp on it with hot sneakers?

A rice cooker is an appliance for making perfect rice every time, just like a waffle iron is an appliance for making perfect waffles every time and a deep fryer is an appliance for making perfect french fries every time. You will find that most households that eat rice with a majority of their meals own a rice cooker. So do restaurants that serve rice with their cuisine.

Oh, and rice cookers are only as expensive as you want them to be. You can buy a rice cooker at your local drug store for less than $15.00 American. Mine is a Krups and cost significantly more, but it also steams vegetables, slow cooks, and cooks steel cut oatmeal.
Wow, you seem to be taking this personally.

I objected to your comment, "Go out and buy yourself a rice cooker." It's not the only way to cook rice. Rice cookers may not be expensive in terms of money, but they are in terms of taking space.

A rice cooker isn't the same as a waffle iron. It's perfectly easy to make rice in a heavy pot. You need some sort of waffle iron, be it electric or the old fashioned kind that you heat on the stove, to make waffles.

I've been cooking rice for over forty years without a rice cooker. In that time I can count the times I have had less than perfect rice on one hand. For many years I served rice with almost every supper. I still serve rice frequently.

Tags
rice