Rice strictly for Fried Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love fried rice and I recently got a Wok that is nicely seasoned now and thought I would try making fried rice.
However I never had success making rice, always too mushy.
I use Tilda basmati rice but I could get other if it's better for fried rice.
Could you suggest some recipe on how to prepare rice ?

Do not use basmati or jasmine rice.

I use short grain rice because that is what we normally have. (Long grain works just fine.) After we eat I put the leftovers into a plastic zip lock bag and put it into the fridge until the next day. This helps the outside dry out and prevents the rice from becoming mushy.

Don't be afraid to separate the kernels by rubbing clumps of rice between your palms before adding it to the wok.

Since I normaly cook with short grain rice this is what I have to do.

I have never had a problem with the grains not separating. Maybe it's because I only use brown rice. Sure, it clumps when it gets cold, but a light push with a spatula and the clump falls apart.

I have never had a problem with the grains not separating. Maybe it's because I only use brown rice. Sure, it clumps when it gets cold, but a light push with a spatula and the clump falls apart.

We cook our rice to be sticky, how else could we eat it with chop stix? :LOL:

i've just never understood the need for a rice cooker and yet another costly electrical appliance to take up counter or cabinet space. Maybe if i made rice every single day, but my rice turns out perfect every time in my multi purpose pot on top of the stove. Jes saying. :rolleyes:

+1

And this:

image-3203519468.jpg

Last edited:
I grew up using chopsticks, Dad brought them home from Korea. As for the rice cooker...I did trade that in on a slow cooker/electric pressure cooker/rice cooker/steamer combo. Love it. Freed up a bunch of space. I do make lots of rice and oatmeal on the weekends for the week. Rice and Oatmeal for two for a week, one cook...saves me lots of time.

I've just never understood the need for a rice cooker and yet another costly electrical appliance to take up counter or cabinet space. Maybe if I made rice every single day, but my rice turns out perfect every time in my multi purpose pot on top of the stove. Jes saying. :rolleyes:

When you want to make waffles, do you pour batter on the floor and stomp on it with hot sneakers?

A rice cooker is an appliance for making perfect rice every time, just like a waffle iron is an appliance for making perfect waffles every time and a deep fryer is an appliance for making perfect french fries every time. You will find that most households that eat rice with a majority of their meals own a rice cooker. So do restaurants that serve rice with their cuisine.

Oh, and rice cookers are only as expensive as you want them to be. You can buy a rice cooker at your local drug store for less than $15.00 American. Mine is a Krups and cost significantly more, but it also steams vegetables, slow cooks, and cooks steel cut oatmeal.

Last edited:
When you want to make waffles, do you pour batter on the floor and stomp on it with hot sneakers?

A rice cooker is an appliance for making perfect rice every time, just like a waffle iron is an appliance for making perfect waffles every time and a deep fryer is an appliance for making perfect french fries every time. You will find that most households that eat rice with a majority of their meals own a rice cooker. So do restaurants that serve rice with their cuisine.

Oh, and rice cookers are only as expensive as you want them to be. You can buy a rice cooker at your local drug store for less than $15.00 American. Mine is a Krups and cost significantly more, but it also steams vegetables, slow cooks, and cooks steel cut oatmeal.
Wow, you seem to be taking this personally.

I objected to your comment, "Go out and buy yourself a rice cooker." It's not the only way to cook rice. Rice cookers may not be expensive in terms of money, but they are in terms of taking space.

A rice cooker isn't the same as a waffle iron. It's perfectly easy to make rice in a heavy pot. You need some sort of waffle iron, be it electric or the old fashioned kind that you heat on the stove, to make waffles.

I've been cooking rice for over forty years without a rice cooker. In that time I can count the times I have had less than perfect rice on one hand. For many years I served rice with almost every supper. I still serve rice frequently.

Great idea for a nutritious breakfast on the run!

I don't have a rice machine either.

I don't use many appliances in my kitchen due to a lack of space.

I assume that people were turning out great food before all of these things were invented and I enjoy trying those low tech methods.

I also find that using and cleaning many of these appliances is more trouble than it is worth for the small amount of food I prepare.

"Chacun à son goût!", said the old lady as she kissed the cow! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I have to agree. While a rice cooker is an excellent tool for making rice, it's not the only way. I'd bet the Chinese, and all other Asians who lived on rice, made rice without rice cookers for hundreds or thousands of years.

On the side of the Atlantic where my ancestors made their way, rice was a staple. No rice cookers.

And...it's okay if you have or want a rice cooker...you can go as high tech as you want with your cooking.

I love my rice cooker because I am 100% sure that my rice is going to consistently turn out while on the stove-top it was always iffy for me. There's no need to limit yourself to making rice only in it as it is also super handy to cook tons of other things as well. Steel cut oats, bulgar & quinoa are the things I use mine for almost as much as rice.

Once I found the microwave method for making rice, I never looked back. 7 minutes on high, stir, 8 minutes on high, done. Then it sits there nice and hot till it's time to eat. I don't have space for another appliance.

I love fried rice and I recently got a Wok that is nicely seasoned now and thought I would try making fried rice.
However I never had success making rice, always too mushy.
I use Tilda basmati rice but I could get other if it's better for fried rice.
Could you suggest some recipe on how to prepare rice ?

Congrats on your new wok. :chef:

Here's a basic simple recipe for fried rice using a wok or skillet (with 86 reviews).

Fried Rice - a Basic Recipe for Fried Rice

And, a step by step:

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/ricefried/ss/fried_rice.htm

Last edited:
It makes a tic toc noise??

You betcha, but yo have to listen very careful. ;)

As far as rice cooker, I would love to have one, but am afraid DW will kick me and the rice cooker out of the house. I have way too many toys as it is. Though I saw one in COSTCO the other day for 20 bucks only, but was afraid to get a cheap garbage.

Last edited:
GotGarlic said:
Once I found the microwave method for making rice, I never looked back. 7 minutes on high, stir, 8 minutes on high, done. Then it sits there nice and hot till it's time to eat. I don't have space for another appliance.

Thank you! I'll try that :)

Back
Top Bottom