Rice strictly for Fried Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toyopl

Assistant Cook
I love fried rice and I recently got a Wok that is nicely seasoned now and thought I would try making fried rice.
However I never had success making rice, always too mushy.
I use Tilda basmati rice but I could get other if it's better for fried rice.
Could you suggest some recipe on how to prepare rice ?

I use the least expensive long grain rice that I can find, nothing special!

I bring two cups of water and a teaspoon of salt to a boil. Stir in one cup rice. I cover the pan and when it returns to a boil I reduce the heat and let it cook for 13 to 15 minutes. I let it sit until it is cool then I refrigerate it for 24 hours prior to making fried rice.

IMO refrigerating the rice for 24 hours is the most important step.

I am curious to see how others do this.

Last edited:
I use Tilda basmati rice ...

That is your problem right there. Get Long Grain rice. I like Riceland rice, Sam’s club sells a big box. Very inexpensive and perfect for fried rice. When making rice for the purpose of making fried rice, make sure you slightly undercook it. For example the rice I use says to cook it for 20 minutes. I cook it for 15 minutes. Then refrigerate overnight. Very important step in home fried rice making. Next day you are ready to fry. My fried rice is on the par with the best restaurant fried rice I ever had. And I am very critical of my own cooking.

I also use cheap long grain rice. I do the cup to a cup method unless I want it to be a bit sticky .. then it's +1/4 cup water.

I also refrigerate for best results.

I've never had it get mushy.

Love fried rice ... so yummy with most any dish.

In my opinion, fried rice should have grains of rice that are separate with no stickiness. To accomplish this I use regular long grain white rice (I use Carolina). I rinse the rice thoroughly and cook it according to package directions. When done, I spread it out on a half sheet pan to cool then refrigerate it overnight. The rice has to go through a cycle from hot to cold and back again to work in this dish. You can accomplish the same result for same day cooking by putting that half sheet pan in the freezer for a half hour or so then allowing it to warm to room temp while you are prepping the other ingredients.

My son used to cook at a Japanese restaurant. He made some awesome fried rice. The 2 most important steps he told me are to 1. rinse the rice well. Cold water to cover the rice, swish it around, drain, repeat until water remains clear. 2. after cooking, put rice in refrigerator and stir it every now and then. You are trying to break it up while it cools. DO NOT COVER the rice in the fridge. Let it sit at least overnight. Second day after cooking is even better.

In my opinion, fried rice should have grains of rice that are separate with no stickiness. To accomplish this I use regular long grain white rice (I use Carolina). I rinse the rice thoroughly and cook it according to package directions. When done, I spread it out on a half sheet pan to cool then refrigerate it overnight. The rice has to go through a cycle from hot to cold and back again to work in this dish. You can accomplish the same result for same day cooking by putting that half sheet pan in the freezer for a half hour or so then allowing it to warm to room temp while you are prepping the other ingredients.

I do the same as Andy when I don't plan ahead. It works.

I always have the Chinese restaurant box up our leftover rice, and we take it home. Makes great fried rice the next day or so.

Don't be afraid to separate the kernels by rubbing clumps of rice between your palms before adding it to the wok.

I rinse the rice after it's cooked in the cold water to stop the cooking. And then put in the fridge. Works like a Swiss clock.

We use long grain rice and cook it using the absorption method, tastes fabulous with no gluggy bits, just perfect!

So I bought long grain rice yesterday, made a batch, cooked a bit less than the directions say, spread it nicely on cookie sheet and put it in my refrigerator downstairs in basement.
I check rice today and it's frozen solid :) The fridge was set on coldest setting :(
Wonder if I defrost it, if it'll be any good.

So I bought long grain rice yesterday, made a batch, cooked a bit less than the directions say, spread it nicely on cookie sheet and put it in my refrigerator downstairs in basement.
I check rice today and it's frozen solid :) The fridge was set on coldest setting :(
Wonder if I defrost it, if it'll be any good.
Rice freezes well, so it should be fine.

Go out and buy yourself a rice cooker. One part rice, two parts water for white rice, one part rice, three parts water for brown rice. Perfect rice every time. Take the bucket out of the rice cooker and stick it in the refrigerator overnight and the rice is ready for frying the next day!

Go out and buy yourself a rice cooker. One part rice, two parts water for white rice, one part rice, three parts water for brown rice. Perfect rice every time. Take the bucket out of the rice cooker and stick it in the refrigerator overnight and the rice is ready for frying the next day!

I've just never understood the need for a rice cooker and yet another costly electrical appliance to take up counter or cabinet space. Maybe if I made rice every single day, but my rice turns out perfect every time in my multi purpose pot on top of the stove. Jes saying. :rolleyes:

I've just never understood the need for a rice cooker and yet another costly electrical appliance to take up counter or cabinet space. Maybe if I made rice every single day, but my rice turns out perfect every time in my multi purpose pot on top of the stove. Jes saying. :rolleyes:
I was thinking the same thing.

With a rice cooker we can make a batch for breakfast, come back at lunch its still hot and fresh, come back again that night and its still hot and fresh. I bet your pot on the stove does not do that. Jes saying.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom