Rice + Water + Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rice + Water + Time= rice cooker. Use mine everyday. Perfect rice, everytime.

Alix said:
amber, how long do you cook it? And do you leave the lid on for a bit after you turn off the heat?

I cook it for twenty minutes, according to the package directions. I let it come to a boil, stir and put the lid on, and open the lid once for another stir, then leave the lid on until done. I dont leave the lid on after I turn the heat off. I've heard your not suppose to take the lid off while it's cooking, but what about that fact that it sticks together?

mudbug said:
amber, that's about the same as what I do, but I may try puteri's oven method (see above) the next time just for grins.

It's worth trying! Is le crueset french oven the same as a cast iron pan? :LOL:

Well, Le Creuset is cast iron covered with enamel, so you may have the sticking problem again with the cast iron unless it's well seasoned. You also still need a lid.

amber said:
Alix said:
amber, how long do you cook it? And do you leave the lid on for a bit after you turn off the heat?

I cook it for twenty minutes, according to the package directions. I let it come to a boil, stir and put the lid on, and open the lid once for another stir, then leave the lid on until done. I dont leave the lid on after I turn the heat off. I've heard your not suppose to take the lid off while it's cooking, but what about that fact that it sticks together?

OK, I have perfect rice nearly everytime. I use 1 1/2 cups rice to 2 cups water. Boil, pour in the rice, turn down the heat to low/med low, and leave it for 15 minutes. No lid lifting. Turn it off after 15 minutes, take it off the heat and leave it for another 5. Fluff and serve. Give that a shot and see how it works.

mudbug said:
Well, Le Creuset is cast iron covered with enamel, so you may have the sticking problem again with the cast iron unless it's well seasoned. You also still need a lid.

Enameled covered iron is NEVER seasoned.

sorry for the misunderstanding, scott. I was referring to the cast iron, NOT the Le Creuset, that had to be well seasoned. Poor sentence structure. I give myself a D.

Mudbug, sorry, my bad. I overlooked the previous question regarding le crueset VS. cast iron. Within that context, it makes perfect sense.

Hey, puteri, I tried your method for cooking rice in the oven last night and it turned out perfectly! Thanks for the new idea. This technique will come in handy when I've got a lot of other stuff going on the range.

I use a technique that involved placing rice and water in a bowl, then placing the bowl inside of a large pot with the bowl raised off the bottom of the pot with a small amount of water in the pot to provide steam.

The water soaks into the rice while the steam provides an indirect heat to cook the rice. You cant really overcook the rice and will stay relative fluffy as long as you don't add too much water in with the rice.

You don't need to time the rice since you can just leave it in the bowl inside the hot and the steam keeps it hot.

Man, I must be in the minority for using a rice cooker and my hand to measure the water!

I've made rice since I was a kid, but never taught to measure the water with a cup or any sort of container (long grain rice from Asian store, stuff from American grocery store tastes different...don't know why). Two ways to measure: 1. with the palm of your hand, lay it on the rice, gently, and the water should come up somewhere betwee your knuckle and the middle joint on the finger. option 2 is to stick the middle finger in the water, touching the rice and it should hit in the middle of the two lines in your finger.

Brown rice is different, I usually put more water than I do for white rice.

Probably bad news for me if I ever want to teach someone how to cook rice. :?

Yeah I use the knuckle method as well. However after I switched to that method I mentioned above, considering its boiling water that you put in with the rice to begin with I have...shied away from that method somewhat.

I find it very interesting all the different ways of cooking rice, and all this time I figured it was just 2 parts water/1 part rice. Even though I do the same method each time, it seems hit and miss if my rice comes out right. From reading these posts, I think one of the things I will change is boiling the water before I put the rice in. I've been adding it all together and cooking from there. I think I will make some tonight and see how it turns out. Thanks everyone! :D

Back
Top Bottom