"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
i thought it was only me and mine that likes gravy over rice (I get strange looks from my friends when I tell them).
Just tell them you're exotic -- a favored breakfast of the locals in Hawaii is a bowl of rice covered with brown gravy, which they serve with a sauteed slice of Spam (that pink stuff in a can, not unwanted e-mail).

Old 08-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
Just tell them you're exotic -- a favored breakfast of the locals in Hawaii is a bowl of rice covered with brown gravy, which they serve with a sauteed slice of Spam (that pink stuff in a can, not unwanted e-mail).
sounds like a good answer to me !!!! Thanks

Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Gravy and sauces are great over rice.

I love beef stroganoff over rice instead of noodles.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #14
Master Chef

I love rice & gravy with any braised meat.

But when it comes to Chicken Fried Steak, I want my mashed potatoes and cream (white) gravy. I also like some peas or green beans on the side to sorta mix in with the taters.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 AM   #15
Master Chef

Chicken Fried Steak, Fried Chicken, Fried Pork Chops .... makes no difference ....

Pour off most of the grease (how much you leave depends on how much gravy you want to make), add some flour (about equal to the amount of grease you left in the pan, but a little more), make a white (very low heat) or light brown (medium low - medium heat) roux ... (you want to cook the roux for about 3 minutes - how dark it gets depends on how high you crank up the heat) add lots of cold milk slowly while stirring constantly (be careful - it can thicken up on you real quick if the heat is too high - add milk until it is how thick you want it - let it cook a bit and add more milk to thin it out) season with salt and pepper. Those are basically the instructions I got from my grandmother.

Gravy on rice is a "Southern" staple. A meal without rice and gravy would be like breakfast without grits!

Hey - ask Paula Deen if you don't believe me!!! Although she has gotten into "coastal" cooking since she moved to Savannah ... her roots are in Albany, GA.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:10 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Michael, did you see her making "grits pie"? Some things she takes a bit too far, even for a Southern girl.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:51 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Michael, did you see her making "grits pie"? Some things she takes a bit too far, even for a Southern girl.
NO! Thank goodness!!!

While I might agree with ... "If you didn't want grits - why did you order breakfast?" ... Paula has moved away from the food she was brought up on ... the cooking style in SW (Albany - circa 1950's) GA (where she grew up) is a bit different from the Savannah style she now cooks.

I love Paula - but sometimes ... I just have to wonder what the girl was thinking when she comes up with some of her crazy recipes!

Tags
None