"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 95
>>tired of el_dente rice

have you seen / tried the Alton Brown oven method?

in an ovenproof pot, with lid,
bring water & rice ( + salt & butter, as desired)
to a simmer.

remove from stovetop, cover, put in preheated 350'F oven for 15 minutes.

remove from oven, leave covered, no peeking! let stand 10 minutes.

I use a kitchen scale - 235 grams rice, 470-500 grams of water (for drier / wetter rice) - for a side dish I make it wetter, if for a sauced dish, I make it drier. weighing makes for more reliable results than "by cups"

that's for Carolina brand white rice, you may need to 'adjust' for other brands / types.
__________________

__________________
Dillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,300
if you don't want it al dente, cook it longer.
Risotto is a method of cooking rice, so you probably won't find it labeled as such on the shelf at the grocery store. If you make risotto with white rice, it will be white. Unless one puts other stuff in it that changes the color.
__________________

__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
if you don't want it al dente, cook it longer.
Well the other thing is that he might not be using enough water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Risotto is a method of cooking rice, so you probably won't find it labeled as such on the shelf at the grocery store.
I don't agree with this. Yes it is a cooking method, not a type of rice, but marketers have started labeling their product as Risotto rice instead of Arborio or other short grain names. Not every rice maker does this, but enough do so that if you go into most super markets you will find something labeled risotto rice on the shelves.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,300
just trying to clarify...
it's still a method that works with short grain rice.
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
TheMetalChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Babetoo, I'am interested. Everytime I try to make rice from scratch it turns out el_dente. And I am getting tired of el_dente rice.
A risotto is supposed to be al dente. Cook it past this point and it turns to gummy gluey mess.

If you're just making regular rice and it's coming out al dente, I suggest you make sure that you are:

1) Using a pot with a tight lid.

2) Adding sufficient water at the outset.

3) Not cooking it at too high a temperature.

4) Not popping the top to stir it every 5 minutes.
__________________
We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
TheMetalChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillbert View Post
>>tired of el_dente rice

have you seen / tried the Alton Brown oven method?

in an ovenproof pot, with lid,
bring water & rice ( + salt & butter, as desired)
to a simmer.

remove from stovetop, cover, put in preheated 350'F oven for 15 minutes.

remove from oven, leave covered, no peeking! let stand 10 minutes.

I use a kitchen scale - 235 grams rice, 470-500 grams of water (for drier / wetter rice) - for a side dish I make it wetter, if for a sauced dish, I make it drier. weighing makes for more reliable results than "by cups"

that's for Carolina brand white rice, you may need to 'adjust' for other brands / types.
His method doesn't work particularly well for long grain Jasmin or Basmati type rices. Temperature is too high for those dense grains to really absorb enough liquid.
__________________
We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Hm, funny, I also was in restaurant and the rice was simple, almost on a dry side, not reach and not creamy. Each little rice grain was kind of separate, not sure what to call this kind of consistency. It was not aldente it was cooked completely thru, it was very soft, and it was very flavorful. I normally do not like any kind of rice, except fried rice in Chinese restaurant, but this was very yummy. It was long grain rice and it was served with chicken schnitzel.

Since it is rice cooking thread I hope nobody minds that I am asking my question here too. Would you have any idea how to make rice like that? The flavor was of aah, maybe chicken soup, and if it helps any, it was an Israeli restaurant, and hey it was also in Florida.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Chile Chef: Knowing what kind of restaurant you had this in might help narrow down the most likely rice candidate ... but it definitely sounds like coconut rice (rice cooked in coconut milk and water). There are several recipes: Google - Coconut Rice Recipe

CharlieD: When you make your rice replace the water with chicken stock - and cook it the same way.
__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 395
maybe both milk and butter made it creamy
__________________
Jessica
jessicacarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #20
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Chile Chef: Knowing what kind of restaurant you had this in might help narrow down the most likely rice candidate ... but it definitely sounds like coconut rice (rice cooked in coconut milk and water). There are several recipes: Google - Coconut Rice Recipe

CharlieD: When you make your rice replace the water with chicken stock - and cook it the same way.
It's kind of like Traders joes crab shack, It was a seafood place that has Jamaica type food in it.
__________________

__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.