Rich tasting rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
At a Restaurant yesterday, I had a dish with mako shark & rice. The rice was rich and creamy but it was the basic white rice. I've noticed that they used coconut in the rice for texture and a touch of sweetness, however I'm still trying to figure out how they made the rice rich & creamy. I like to make it here at the apartment for when I can eat about a 1/4th cup of rice with my fish.

I'm thinking they used milk to make it creamy & rich?

sounds like risotto to me, hmmmm. it's very creamy, it's slowly cooked with plenty of stirring. the starch makes it creamy & thick.

sounds like risotto to me, hmmmm. it's very creamy, it's slowly cooked with plenty of stirring. the starch makes it creamy & thick.
Thanks Luv, I may have to buy some next weekend at the store.

I really loved the taste and I never thought about putting coconut in the rice.

>>tired of el_dente rice

have you seen / tried the Alton Brown oven method?

in an ovenproof pot, with lid,
bring water & rice ( + salt & butter, as desired)
to a simmer.

remove from stovetop, cover, put in preheated 350'F oven for 15 minutes.

remove from oven, leave covered, no peeking! let stand 10 minutes.

I use a kitchen scale - 235 grams rice, 470-500 grams of water (for drier / wetter rice) - for a side dish I make it wetter, if for a sauced dish, I make it drier. weighing makes for more reliable results than "by cups"

that's for Carolina brand white rice, you may need to 'adjust' for other brands / types.

if you don't want it al dente, cook it longer.
Risotto is a method of cooking rice, so you probably won't find it labeled as such on the shelf at the grocery store. If you make risotto with white rice, it will be white. Unless one puts other stuff in it that changes the color.

if you don't want it al dente, cook it longer.
Well the other thing is that he might not be using enough water.
Risotto is a method of cooking rice, so you probably won't find it labeled as such on the shelf at the grocery store.
I don't agree with this. Yes it is a cooking method, not a type of rice, but marketers have started labeling their product as Risotto rice instead of Arborio or other short grain names. Not every rice maker does this, but enough do so that if you go into most super markets you will find something labeled risotto rice on the shelves.

just trying to clarify...
it's still a method that works with short grain rice.

Babetoo, I'am interested. Everytime I try to make rice from scratch it turns out el_dente. And I am getting tired of el_dente rice.

A risotto is supposed to be al dente. Cook it past this point and it turns to gummy gluey mess.

If you're just making regular rice and it's coming out al dente, I suggest you make sure that you are:

1) Using a pot with a tight lid.

2) Adding sufficient water at the outset.

3) Not cooking it at too high a temperature.

4) Not popping the top to stir it every 5 minutes.

>>tired of el_dente rice

have you seen / tried the Alton Brown oven method?

in an ovenproof pot, with lid,
bring water & rice ( + salt & butter, as desired)
to a simmer.

remove from stovetop, cover, put in preheated 350'F oven for 15 minutes.

remove from oven, leave covered, no peeking! let stand 10 minutes.

I use a kitchen scale - 235 grams rice, 470-500 grams of water (for drier / wetter rice) - for a side dish I make it wetter, if for a sauced dish, I make it drier. weighing makes for more reliable results than "by cups"

that's for Carolina brand white rice, you may need to 'adjust' for other brands / types.

His method doesn't work particularly well for long grain Jasmin or Basmati type rices. Temperature is too high for those dense grains to really absorb enough liquid.

Hm, funny, I also was in restaurant and the rice was simple, almost on a dry side, not reach and not creamy. Each little rice grain was kind of separate, not sure what to call this kind of consistency. It was not aldente it was cooked completely thru, it was very soft, and it was very flavorful. I normally do not like any kind of rice, except fried rice in Chinese restaurant, but this was very yummy. It was long grain rice and it was served with chicken schnitzel.

Since it is rice cooking thread I hope nobody minds that I am asking my question here too. Would you have any idea how to make rice like that? The flavor was of aah, maybe chicken soup, and if it helps any, it was an Israeli restaurant, and hey it was also in Florida.

Chile Chef: Knowing what kind of restaurant you had this in might help narrow down the most likely rice candidate ... but it definitely sounds like coconut rice (rice cooked in coconut milk and water). There are several recipes: Google - Coconut Rice Recipe

CharlieD: When you make your rice replace the water with chicken stock - and cook it the same way.

Chile Chef: Knowing what kind of restaurant you had this in might help narrow down the most likely rice candidate ... but it definitely sounds like coconut rice (rice cooked in coconut milk and water). There are several recipes: Google - Coconut Rice Recipe

CharlieD: When you make your rice replace the water with chicken stock - and cook it the same way.
It's kind of like Traders joes crab shack, It was a seafood place that has Jamaica type food in it.

Back
Top Bottom