"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
When you make risotto you need lots of liquid, generally a combination of wine and stock. Anything else you add is up to you. Your ingredient list will also dictate when those ingredients are added.

The risotto you mentioned would most likely be prepared by sauteeing the risotto with shallots and onions in butter. Do the shallots and onions first, but don't brown. The risotto would then be added to the butter and tossed about for a minute. More than likely, the walnuts would either be added with the shallots (to release their oils, giving more of their flavour to the end product) or with the risotto, for the same reason as adding it earlier.
Wine would be added after the risotto was sauteed for a moment, till it was all absorbed. Then, half the stock would be added, and the temperature would be set to a simmer. After a short time, the liquid will be absorbed, and you add 1/3 of what you have left. Cook, simmer, stir again till it's absorbed. Then add the second third of stock. Cook, simmer, stir again, adding the final third when all the previous liquid is absorbed. You'll get a feel for how long it takes for the liquid to absorb. 3 minutes before the final stock is completely absorbed, add your cheese and cracked black pepper. Taste for any necessary salt. (I'd hold off adding salt till this time because the cheese and the stock could be saltier than you'd guess).

Plate as soon as all is absorbed. For service, I'd plate and garnish with additional pieces of toasted walnuts and crumbled bleu, sprinkling freshly ground black pepper as well.
I was going to post my recipe, but Vera beat me to it. This is spot on. If you follow it, you should have success. But remember, like anything else, sometimes you have to have an "almost" before you get it right.

Be sure to use Arborio Rice (other names for it that you might see are Carnaroli and Vialone Nano). The type of rice is very important to achieving the toothsome/creamy counterplay that makes risotto so appealing.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Strangely, I missed the part about the mushrooms. Vera really should go to bed at a reasonable hour. I'd sauté the mushrooms with the onions and shallots in the beginning.
Vera, do you ever add some pulverized dried mushrooms to your stock for risotto? I do that sometimes to help emphasize the mushroom-yness.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Vera, do you ever add some pulverized dried mushrooms to your stock for risotto? I do that sometimes to help emphasize the mushroom-yness.
There is an asian market that has all manner of dried mushrooms. For risotto, I agree, reconstitute them in the stock after grinding them.

I have to admit, butternut squash is my absolute favourite risotto. I cannot get enough of that..I'll even eat it cold, standing in front of the fridge.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I'd be interested in some of you risotto lovers to read that link I put. Curious what your take on it is. I found it to be so complicated, so many ingredients and he was strict on how you made his risotto or just don't do it at all.

With the dried mushrooms, I have Surfas and have bought a large bag of dried shihtake [sp?] and it's all used now.
I'll go and check out their stuff [if time] on Sunday. when steeping, you have to drain on fine mesh correct otherwise the grittiness of whatever can ruin your stock?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
I'd be interested in some of you risotto lovers to read that link I put. Curious what your take on it is. I found it to be so complicated, so many ingredients and he was strict on how you made his risotto or just don't do it at all.
LL, I read it over on chowhound, and just followed your link and laughed again.

I'm sure that is a great risotto, but I personally would have a hard time following his instructions because it is not written as a recipe and because it seems unnecessarily wordy. If you follow Vera's instructions, I think you will come out with a great dish. You can add as many bells and whistles to a risotto as you like, but sometimes less is better.....

as for the reconstituting the dried mushrooms, I just strain the liquid after cooking them. but for risotto I would grind them up and put them into the stock that way. you will have amazing flavor.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I'm curious as to WHICH Beringer Chardonnay he uses. Their basic chardonnay runs you about $13-15 retail which is not an expensive wine. His post leads you to believe that he's using Jordan or something like that. Besides, if he really knew his stuff he wouldn't be using or recommending a Napa Chard for this risotto. Sounds like someone just talking out of his *** to me. He is sooooo not soigne!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
I'm curious as to WHICH Beringer Chardonnay he uses. Their basic chardonnay runs you about $13-15 retail which is not an expensive wine. His post leads you to believe that he's using Jordan or something like that. Besides, if he really knew his stuff he wouldn't be using or recommending a Napa Chard for this risotto. Sounds like someone just talking out of his *** to me. He is sooooo not soigne!
IC, that was to wordy I read right over that! I wouldn't be using any Cali chardonnay for cooking anything for fear of too much oak or too pricy. In fact, the ubiquitous Pinot Grigio makes a great wine to cook with.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't know if this will help after all the great advice you've gotten already, but I just love this risotto recipe: Cooks.com - Recipe - Dan's Ultimate Shrimp Risotto

Tastes great every time. I follow the basic ingredients and method and sub ingredients to make it different. I have also drawn lines on my recipe printout to indicate which items should be added together, and then written in the margin what to do with them, to keep me straight, since I'm usually sampling the wine while I'm cooking the risotto As UB would say, Have fun and enjoy!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Well GG, I must say Dans looks wonderful. I mean really wonderful. So wonderful in fact that it's bookmarked.
IC, you're right. About that link and his recipe, I personally found it to be a bit haughty. I can't remember the white wine I did end up using but remember that it was about $15 and I thought that had to be okay.
I will take to heart all the great advice I've gotten in here and thank you all. When I do make it, it'll be great, I just know it, and will let you know how it turned out.
Again, thank you all.............
Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Don't know if this will help after all the great advice you've gotten already, but I just love this risotto recipe: Cooks.com - Recipe - Dan's Ultimate Shrimp Risotto

Tastes great every time. I follow the basic ingredients and method and sub ingredients to make it different. I have also drawn lines on my recipe printout to indicate which items should be added together, and then written in the margin what to do with them, to keep me straight, since I'm usually sampling the wine while I'm cooking the risotto As UB would say, Have fun and enjoy!
I wonder what Makes 3 Dan-sized servings means? Do you think this would be a good side dish for Roast Pork? Also, can you make this ahead of time, reheat and still be good? Thanks for the help. thinking about making this.

Tags
None