"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-19-2006, 01:27 AM   #11
Head Chef

Fryboy, thanks for the recipe. I bought a set of WMF pressure cookers two weeks ago and have used them many times already. I've fallen in love with it!

Risotto for me is almost frustrating to cook. Labor-intensive and the rice takes forever to get to the desired doneness. That's why I've never served it to guests. It's too time-critical and has to be served immediately.

I'm going to try your recipe!

Old 08-19-2006, 01:28 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
According to some on another board, it is VERY good. And while the process may be the delight, sometimes it is nice just to get it done. At a culinary arts demo last year the chef from Julia's Kitchen also described how to "hold" risotto for service which is also helpful.
Gretchen, would you mind sharing what you learned on how to 'hold' risotto for service? Thanks!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

He said to bring the risotto to the last addition of liquid where you would be adding your "extras" (he was making lobster risotto). Spread in a baking sheet and cool. Then for service put your plated amount in the pot, add the hot liquid and the additions and finish. Pretty easy--apparently the way restaurants prepare it for service.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #14
Head Chef

Dave Lieberman's wild mushroom risotto is great and does not require constant stirring. I've made it for guests and they couldn't get enough of it.

Try it, if you can find it. I don't know how to give you a link on here. Barely know how to turn this contraption on.

Lyndalou
Old 08-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
A pressure-cooker risotto...
Why?
What is the problem with cooking some rice for 15-20 minutes ( which is the time it takes to cook anyway) and stirring, tasting, adding, etc.
I thought that was what cooking was all about!
No, with all due respect, Fryboy - it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Part of the delight of risotto is the process, ĦEl Amor!

It's like barbecuing meat on an open wood fire!!
There is no problem with devoting your attention to risotto -- when it's your main dish or when it's just family. But if you're entertaining guests for dinner and are making several other dishes and the risotto is not the star of the meal, why dismiss an easy method if it produces good results?

I've had regular risotto, and I've had pressure cooker risotto. They are equal in taste and texture...in fact, I might even rate the pressure cooker risotto a tad higher.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Risotto is a food of love (or at least requires some time and a little concious effort - the stirring and slow incremental addition of stock has a purpose to develop it's creamy texture) - not some glop you scrape out of a pressure cooker pot!

Of course we have a few members here who live in Italy ... would love to see what they have to say on the matter ...
I'm a bit surpised at seeing a member dismiss another's recipe as "glop." Isn't there a more civilized way to express disagreement regarding a cooking method or recipe? I thought this site prided itself on its politeness. Personally, I detest recipes that feature canned cream soup, so I just say nothing in reply to those recipes here or, at most, suggest an alternative.

As for pressure cooker risotto, I agree that it's not traditional. But that doesn't mean it should be automatically dismissed without a trial. I have made it, and it's excellent. When you're busy with other dishes and/or kids or guests, it's a simple alternative -- and simple is something I would think a fan of Occam's razor might appreciate.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Gretchen, would you mind sharing what you learned on how to 'hold' risotto for service? Thanks!
As an alternative to holding the risotto for service, the pressure cooker method allows you to prepare everything in advance, saute the onions, and set it aside. When you're ready to return to the kitchen to get everything on the table, reheat the onions and oil for a few seconds and then follow the remaining instructions. Your risotto will be ready in another 7 minutes, just as you're about ready to sit down with your guests.

I prefer to do it this way because I've found that risotto doesn't hold all that well once it's done -- although it is pretty good reheated the next day in (dare I say it without fear of ridicule from the great masters?) the microwave. It may be glop, but it's delicious glop!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:38 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Absolutely--another great reason for the PC. But he was giving the restaurant method for their ability to have risotto ready at any point in a diner's order.
It ain't glop, by any means. No apology needed!!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Thanks. I appreciate your comments.

To tell you the truth, I've rarely had risotto in a restaurant that's as good as what I make at home -- by either the traditional methods or in the PC. It's so time-consuming and last-minute that I don't think most restaurant kitchens can do it justice.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Te each their own, but I make a lot of risotto by the old fashioned method. I love watching the rice turn creamy with each addition of liquid and the finished product is a work of art. I can't even imagine cooking risotto in a pressure cooker. This is indeed a labor of love and I'm never in so much of a hurry that I have to use the "instant" method. But hey, if it works for you then have at it. As for me, I want to watch my risotto go through each stage. It only takes about 20 minutes to make perfect risotto, so what's the hurry??

Tags
None