"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
Thanks. I appreciate your comments.

To tell you the truth, I've rarely had risotto in a restaurant that's as good as what I make at home -- by either the traditional methods or in the PC. It's so time-consuming and last-minute that I don't think most restaurant kitchens can do it justice.
That may be partially true, but not if they know how to run a high end kitchen, which risotto would be an offering from.
We had an Italian resto that opened and may have been the first time I had risotto. It was sublime. And the kitchen was open and you could see the cook standing at the stove. THEN, success struck--too many orders--no knowledge of how to manage it (see my preivious note about what the chef at Julia's Kitchen does). and they were passing off long grain rice as "risotto". I sent it back.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #22
Sous Chef

[quote=Drama Queen]Te each their own, but I make a lot of risotto by the old fashioned method. I love watching the rice turn creamy with each addition of liquid and the finished product is a work of art. I can't even imagine cooking risotto in a pressure cooker. This is indeed a labor of love and I'm never in so much of a hurry that I have to use the "instant" method. But hey, if it works for you then have at it. As for me, I want to watch my risotto go through each stage. It only takes about 20 minutes to make perfect risotto, so what's the hurry??[/quote

I didn't get the impression that anyone was suggesting the pressure cooker for merely saving time, so I don't think it's a matter of being in a hurry. The posters were suggesting that if risotto is merely a side dish and you're busy with other recipes and with socializing or, as one poster mentioned, if you just can't seem to master the technique, the pressure cooker is a fine alternative.

As you so astutely point out, each to his own. But I have to wonder whether we sometimes tend to become overly enamored with the process as opposed to the end result. I can almost hear my ancestors waxing on about the delights of lovingly washing their clothes by hand at the river's edge and looking askance at any newfangled method.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
Te each their own, but I make a lot of risotto by the old fashioned method. I love watching the rice turn creamy with each addition of liquid and the finished product is a work of art. I can't even imagine cooking risotto in a pressure cooker. This is indeed a labor of love and I'm never in so much of a hurry that I have to use the "instant" method. But hey, if it works for you then have at it. As for me, I want to watch my risotto go through each stage. It only takes about 20 minutes to make perfect risotto, so what's the hurry??
I enjoy cooking, but I like eating a whole lot more.

When I have time, I do cook risotto the traditional way -- it can be quite relaxing and, of course, rewarding. But like most people, I often have other things to do and can't spend time standing over a bubbling pot of rice for 20 minutes or more, as much fun as that can be. That time is often better devoted to other last-minute dishes, or to my guests, and thus the choice is between having risotto as a side dish or not.

And BTW, when I have opted for the pressure cooker to prepare risotto, my guests have been blown away by both the results and the seeming magic of the device.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

The final test, IMO, is how it tastes. Side by side, if you can't tell the difference, use the PC if you prefer. I have no problem with using modern conveniences as long as the finished product doesn't suffer.

If there IS a difference in taste, then you have to decide if you want to compromise.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:12 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
He said to bring the risotto to the last addition of liquid where you would be adding your "extras" (he was making lobster risotto). Spread in a baking sheet and cool. Then for service put your plated amount in the pot, add the hot liquid and the additions and finish. Pretty easy--apparently the way restaurants prepare it for service.
Thanks Gretchen!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
He said to bring the risotto to the last addition of liquid where you would be adding your "extras" (he was making lobster risotto). Spread in a baking sheet and cool. Then for service put your plated amount in the pot, add the hot liquid and the additions and finish. Pretty easy--apparently the way restaurants prepare it for service.
Thanks for the info, Gretchen!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:12 AM   #27
Senior Cook

[quote=suzyQ3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
Te each their own, but I make a lot of risotto by the old fashioned method. I love watching the rice turn creamy with each addition of liquid and the finished product is a work of art. I can't even imagine cooking risotto in a pressure cooker. This is indeed a labor of love and I'm never in so much of a hurry that I have to use the "instant" method. But hey, if it works for you then have at it. As for me, I want to watch my risotto go through each stage. It only takes about 20 minutes to make perfect risotto, so what's the hurry??[/quote

I didn't get the impression that anyone was suggesting the pressure cooker for merely saving time, so I don't think it's a matter of being in a hurry. The posters were suggesting that if risotto is merely a side dish and you're busy with other recipes and with socializing or, as one poster mentioned, if you just can't seem to master the technique, the pressure cooker is a fine alternative.

As you so astutely point out, each to his own. But I have to wonder whether we sometimes tend to become overly enamored with the process as opposed to the end result. I can almost hear my ancestors waxing on about the delights of lovingly washing their clothes by hand at the river's edge and looking askance at any newfangled method.
Touche! Point well taken.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #28
Head Chef

Fryboy, tried your recipe today. I made only 1/4 of the recipe as I was eating alone. Was a bit worried about the liquid drying up inside the pressure cooker. But no. It turned out perfect! SO EASY! First time I didn't feel impatient while having a facial over the cooking risotto. I'm not going back to the traditional way of cooking it anymore! Thank you!!! I'm going to try this method on other risotto recipes...
Old 09-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Yes to the defence of Fryboy, cooking risotto in a pressure cooker does the job, to a certain degree, and if you just don't have the time to give your risotto all the attention that requires because you ABSOLUTELY need to do something else at the same time, it can be a solution.

Having said that though, we have experimented this as we also heard a lot about cooking them in a pressure cooker, nothing can beat the wonderful texture and flavour of a risotto cooked in a traditional way. It is just something else. Pressure cooker method should be considered as the last resort when you are in a pinch.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #30
Executive Chef

I love making risotto. I even make brown rice risotto, which takes quite awhile, up to 1hr 15 min. (the flavor is so good tho) A chef I was studying with recommended a presure cooker for brown rice risotto. THe results can be fantastic. However, I like the slow process...just me.

Tags
None