Risotto in the Pressure Cooker!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FryBoy said:
Thanks. I appreciate your comments.

To tell you the truth, I've rarely had risotto in a restaurant that's as good as what I make at home -- by either the traditional methods or in the PC. It's so time-consuming and last-minute that I don't think most restaurant kitchens can do it justice.

That may be partially true, but not if they know how to run a high end kitchen, which risotto would be an offering from.
We had an Italian resto that opened and may have been the first time I had risotto. It was sublime. And the kitchen was open and you could see the cook standing at the stove. THEN, success struck--too many orders--no knowledge of how to manage it (see my preivious note about what the chef at Julia's Kitchen does). and they were passing off long grain rice as "risotto". I sent it back.

Drama Queen said:
Te each their own, but I make a lot of risotto by the old fashioned method. I love watching the rice turn creamy with each addition of liquid and the finished product is a work of art. I can't even imagine cooking risotto in a pressure cooker. This is indeed a labor of love and I'm never in so much of a hurry that I have to use the "instant" method. But hey, if it works for you then have at it. As for me, I want to watch my risotto go through each stage. It only takes about 20 minutes to make perfect risotto, so what's the hurry??[/quote

I didn't get the impression that anyone was suggesting the pressure cooker for merely saving time, so I don't think it's a matter of being in a hurry. The posters were suggesting that if risotto is merely a side dish and you're busy with other recipes and with socializing or, as one poster mentioned, if you just can't seem to master the technique, the pressure cooker is a fine alternative.

As you so astutely point out, each to his own. But I have to wonder whether we sometimes tend to become overly enamored with the process as opposed to the end result. I can almost hear my ancestors waxing on about the delights of lovingly washing their clothes by hand at the river's edge and looking askance at any newfangled method.

Drama Queen said:
Te each their own, but I make a lot of risotto by the old fashioned method. I love watching the rice turn creamy with each addition of liquid and the finished product is a work of art. I can't even imagine cooking risotto in a pressure cooker. This is indeed a labor of love and I'm never in so much of a hurry that I have to use the "instant" method. But hey, if it works for you then have at it. As for me, I want to watch my risotto go through each stage. It only takes about 20 minutes to make perfect risotto, so what's the hurry??

I enjoy cooking, but I like eating a whole lot more. :pig:

When I have time, I do cook risotto the traditional way -- it can be quite relaxing and, of course, rewarding. But like most people, I often have other things to do and can't spend time standing over a bubbling pot of rice for 20 minutes or more, as much fun as that can be. That time is often better devoted to other last-minute dishes, or to my guests, and thus the choice is between having risotto as a side dish or not.

And BTW, when I have opted for the pressure cooker to prepare risotto, my guests have been blown away by both the results and the seeming magic of the device.

The final test, IMO, is how it tastes. Side by side, if you can't tell the difference, use the PC if you prefer. I have no problem with using modern conveniences as long as the finished product doesn't suffer.

If there IS a difference in taste, then you have to decide if you want to compromise.

Gretchen said:
He said to bring the risotto to the last addition of liquid where you would be adding your "extras" (he was making lobster risotto). Spread in a baking sheet and cool. Then for service put your plated amount in the pot, add the hot liquid and the additions and finish. Pretty easy--apparently the way restaurants prepare it for service.

Thanks Gretchen!

Gretchen said:
He said to bring the risotto to the last addition of liquid where you would be adding your "extras" (he was making lobster risotto). Spread in a baking sheet and cool. Then for service put your plated amount in the pot, add the hot liquid and the additions and finish. Pretty easy--apparently the way restaurants prepare it for service.

Thanks for the info, Gretchen!

suzyQ3 said:
Drama Queen said:
Te each their own, but I make a lot of risotto by the old fashioned method. I love watching the rice turn creamy with each addition of liquid and the finished product is a work of art. I can't even imagine cooking risotto in a pressure cooker. This is indeed a labor of love and I'm never in so much of a hurry that I have to use the "instant" method. But hey, if it works for you then have at it. As for me, I want to watch my risotto go through each stage. It only takes about 20 minutes to make perfect risotto, so what's the hurry??[/quote

I didn't get the impression that anyone was suggesting the pressure cooker for merely saving time, so I don't think it's a matter of being in a hurry. The posters were suggesting that if risotto is merely a side dish and you're busy with other recipes and with socializing or, as one poster mentioned, if you just can't seem to master the technique, the pressure cooker is a fine alternative.

As you so astutely point out, each to his own. But I have to wonder whether we sometimes tend to become overly enamored with the process as opposed to the end result. I can almost hear my ancestors waxing on about the delights of lovingly washing their clothes by hand at the river's edge and looking askance at any newfangled method.

Touche! Point well taken. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Fryboy, tried your recipe today. I made only 1/4 of the recipe as I was eating alone. Was a bit worried about the liquid drying up inside the pressure cooker. But no. It turned out perfect! SO EASY! First time I didn't feel impatient while having a facial over the cooking risotto. I'm not going back to the traditional way of cooking it anymore! Thank you!!! I'm going to try this method on other risotto recipes...

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Yes to the defence of Fryboy, cooking risotto in a pressure cooker does the job, to a certain degree, and if you just don't have the time to give your risotto all the attention that requires because you ABSOLUTELY need to do something else at the same time, it can be a solution.

Having said that though, we have experimented this as we also heard a lot about cooking them in a pressure cooker, nothing can beat the wonderful texture and flavour of a risotto cooked in a traditional way. It is just something else. Pressure cooker method should be considered as the last resort when you are in a pinch.

I love making risotto. I even make brown rice risotto, which takes quite awhile, up to 1hr 15 min. (the flavor is so good tho) A chef I was studying with recommended a presure cooker for brown rice risotto. THe results can be fantastic. However, I like the slow process...just me.

I also like to apply the risotto recipe using farro. It does take considerably longer to cook, even though soaking them in a water with baking soda for a couple of hours helps somewhat. It gives a wonderful al dente texture and nutty full flavour. I haven't try the pressure cooker with it, but this may be worth trying.

suzyQ3 said:
There is no problem with devoting your attention to risotto -- when it's your main dish or when it's just family. But if you're entertaining guests for dinner and are making several other dishes and the risotto is not the star of the meal, why dismiss an easy method if it produces good results?

I've had regular risotto, and I've had pressure cooker risotto. They are equal in taste and texture...in fact, I might even rate the pressure cooker risotto a tad higher.

SuzyQ3 - I've just stumbled on your reply when the post is almost done. Sorry for not replying earlier.
I'd just like to make it clear I'd never reject a new method of cooking a traditional dish if it were (a) easier (b) quicker and (c) tastier. So in that case, when I fix the pressure cooker, ( the safety valve blew because it was left on the cooker unattended) I promise to make pressure-cooker risotto!

My original concerns were regarding time-saving ( which I didn't see as particularly relevant - maybe 5 minutes?) and the stirring process, which does make the starch come out. I'll have to give it a go, again.

Anything that's new should be looked at, cooking-wise, art-wise, everything -wise. That's called progress. Remember the fear and trembling when personal computers came on to the market? I was one of the first to acquire one, even though I'm a tech idiot.

As for the risotto not being the main attraction at my dinner table - I personally take as much care over the salad dressing and the decoration of the dishes as I do over all the other dishes. EVERYthing is important. Yes, it sometimes involves my rushing around at the last minute like a hysterical warthog in a Lion's Pen, but then that's just me:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

"As for the risotto not being the main attraction at my dinner table - I personally take as much care over the salad dressing and the decoration of the dishes as I do over all the other dishes. EVERYthing is important. Yes, it sometimes involves my rushing around at the last minute like a hysterical warthog in a Lion's Pen, but then that's just me:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:"

Hahahahaha...You sound like a marvelous -- and very entertaining :wacko: -- host indeed.

You remind me of a neighbor and dear friend whom I was fortunate to know for too brief a time. He was a stickler, that one -- down to the perfect snip of herb placed in the center of a perfect pat of butter. Somehow he did it all with a relaxed flourish (oxymoron notwithstanding) that boggled my mind.

suzyQ3 said:
I'm a bit surpised at seeing a member dismiss another's recipe as "glop." Isn't there a more civilized way to express disagreement regarding a cooking method or recipe? I thought this site prided itself on its politeness. Personally, I detest recipes that feature canned cream soup, so I just say nothing in reply to those recipes here or, at most, suggest an alternative.

As for pressure cooker risotto, I agree that it's not traditional. But that doesn't mean it should be automatically dismissed without a trial. I have made it, and it's excellent. When you're busy with other dishes and/or kids or guests, it's a simple alternative -- and simple is something I would think a fan of Occam's razor might appreciate. :LOL:

I am suprized as well at Michael's post. This is the first time I have ever seen a thread from my freind that I didn't agree with completely. I can see the value of pressure cooked risoto, but agree that I would make it by stirring, as it puts more of me into the dish. And the risoto would always be the star in any meal I would use it in.

But that's just me. Michael, you are one of my heroes on this site, one of my peers, and because of your accuracy and graciousness. You aren't usually the condescending type. What happened on this post?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sounds like a good idea to me. Putting more of me in my food doesn't appeal as much as putting more of my food in me!

It's sort of like making bread; the purists knead by hand and sneer at people who use a mixer or food processor or, horror of horrors, a bread machine, even though hardly anyone can tell the difference in the finished product.

Every religion has its fanatics!

Slicer said:
...It's sort of like making bread; the purists knead by hand and sneer at people who use a mixer or food processor or, horror of horrors, a bread machine, even though hardly anyone can tell the difference in the finished product.

Every religion has its fanatics!

I kind of find your tone condescending as well. Remember, there are those who eat to live, and those who live to eat.

It's the same with food preperation. Yes there are "purists" out there who sneer at who sneer at bread machines. But there are also artists, who view breadmaking, or risoto, or whatever food theyu are prepairing as an art form. I have seen amazing breads, made by true artisans, that could not be made by a bread machine. I have seen edible bread sculptures that were the centerpiece at a table. I have seen sweet pastries that took the stage at a christmas feast, not only because they tasted incredible, bit because the presentation was a work of art.

Don't sneer at us who love the process. Just as I believe it's wrong to sneer at those who like to make the sometimes daunting job of food preperation a bit easier, There is room in this world, and on this site for both.

Some people enjoy the beutifully crafted vase. Some people enjoy making it.:) And some people carve beautiful ice sculptures with a chain saw. It's all good.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I love the way you write Goodweed. You hit the nail on the head. Just like Fryboy I love my pressure cooker and I will cook almost anything in it. Indians cook kichdi which is just like a risotto but is made with rice and moong beans along with aromatics and ghee and cooked until it's nice and soft and creamy. Its a different name but the same concept. We cook it in the pressure cooker all the time.

I say cooking is a personal thing. Do it the way you feel comfortable. There is nothing wrong in speeding things up or slowing things down. The end result may be or not be perfect using either method but all that matters is whether you enjoyed and learned during the process.

suzyQ3 said:
"As for the risotto not being the main attraction at my dinner table - I personally take as much care over the salad dressing and the decoration of the dishes as I do over all the other dishes. EVERYthing is important. Yes, it sometimes involves my rushing around at the last minute like a hysterical warthog in a Lion's Pen, but then that's just me:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:"

Hahahahaha...You sound like a marvelous -- and very entertaining :wacko: -- host indeed.

You remind me of a neighbor and dear friend whom I was fortunate to know for too brief a time. He was a stickler, that one -- down to the perfect snip of herb placed in the center of a perfect pat of butter. Somehow he did it all with a relaxed flourish (oxymoron notwithstanding) that boggled my mind.

Crikey, Suzy - you were watching me decorate the dishes the last time I had a dinner party!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'll be giving pressure-cooked saffron risotto a try. To stir up another controversy, I have never managed to make a risotto in just 20 minutes. It always takes me much longer than that. I understand in Italy there's also a baked version of risotto. I'd be interested to hear what Urmaniac and RDG have to say about that.

I love risotto and make it quite often. It's the perfect meal for the $5 thread. Luxurious and creamy but not necessarily hugely expensive, even if you use proper Arborio or Carnaroli rice. In fact, I'm inspired by this thread to go off and find some cuttlefish for Risotto Nero, though I'll cook it using the traditional method!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom