"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yup, nice pix. Nice tutorial.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nice tutorial, Roch. I usually add a can of minced or chopped clams and their liquid to my spaghetti sauce too, love the "chew".

Old 05-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I am land locked too, I think canned clams are consistent and taste just fine.

What little I know about spaghetti with clam sauce. I have only ever seen clams w/ white sauce or red sauce at Italian resto's. I choose white. Never tasted red, do they use a marinara sauce? The white sauce is usually heavy enough, creamy with or without a splash of wine and little else to gussy up the dish beyond a sprinkle of parsley. I add more parm and call it good.

Now , about your dish. I like how you use more veggies to lighten it up and provide more flavors. Plus it turns out so purdy

No wonder your GF likes this dish.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Because the clams have already been cook in their juice in the canning process, the only thing I would have done differently is added the clams at the very last. They would stay more tender that way.

The classic pasta for this Italian dish is linguini. A pasta that can be difficult to twirl on one's fork. So I have always used just plain thin spaghetti. I do like the addition of the varied colored peppers. Makes for a very colorful and interesting dish. Since I don't have alcohol in my home, I would have added a bottle of clam juice.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I mince the clams so they aren't so big and chewy. This creates a nice flavor for the base of the sauce. I also use linguine, spaghetti, whatever I have around. I'm not one to be restricted by rules...I usually have a large bottle of table wine in the fridge for cooking and with the butter, garlic, and seafood this is a perfect match for me. Creates a nice touch for only a few more cents per portion.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #16
Master Chef

WOW that's just beautiful. I'm looking forward to trying your version. I also don't add my canned clams till the very end as they are already cooked and get very tough with added cooking. I also use bottled clam juice that's readily available at the grocery.

Thanks again for the feast for the eyes!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

Rock, that's a fine plate of pasta. I bet it tasted every bit as good as it looked.

My son the chef, and I made a similar dish for my youngest and her hubby for their reception. I have this idea that everyone gets good food at the reception, but the bride and groom get exceptional food. Since I catered both of my daughter's receptions, that's what happened.

In ours, we used a good tomato gravy with oregano, basil, etc., added chopped onion and peppers, fresh mussels, clams, and mushrooms. It came out great. I had never even heard of the dish before. I'm thankful for my son's expertise.

Sadly, as DW isn't the seafood fan that I am, and seafood prices are sky-high in my town, if you can find it at all, I don't make this at home. We bought all of our ingredients at Pike's Place Market in Seatlle, as the reception was in the Tacoma, Wa. area.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #18
Master Chef

Just an additional thought here. I for one don't want to deal with whole fresh shellfish for this or any other dish with pasta. The dishes may look extra pretty but do little else in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just an additional thought here. I for one don't want to deal with whole fresh shellfish for this or any other dish with pasta. The dishes may look extra pretty but do little else in my opinion.
To make this dish with fresh live shellfish is a lot of work. Starting with scrubbing the shells and checking every single one to make sure they are still alive, then steaming them, removing the meat when they are done steaming, and catching every drop of liquor, then straining the broth to eliminate the sand, etc. Yes they are a lot of work. I too use the canned clams. And bottled broth. But you have to find a bottle that does not have sand at the bottom. Or the one with the least amount.

I do make clam chowder with the fresh shellfish though. Both clams and mussels. So well worth the extra work for that dish. It is what I grew up eating.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
Master Chef

I only imagine how much work it would be Addie and I'd never do it.
Often you see this dish served with clams in the shell along with the sauce and pasta, my real reason for the comment.

Tags
sauce, spaghetti