Same ol' oatmeal for breakfast? Not!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
I have been bored with plain oat meal since Elvis' first hit. Here's what I do. Make your standard oat meal with milk, and add some of this:
1/2 tsp. vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, chopped pecans. Sweeten with 100% maple syrup and thin with 1/2 n' 1/2
Or cut up some apples and use apple pie spice and .... well you get the idea. It sure does make a delightful difference.

Oh yeah, preserves...

I used to make super thin pancakes, from bisquick, when I was a kid. I'd make about ten, load them with butter between the cakes. I take one pancake and spoon on black raspberry preserves and roll it up like an enchalada. I make them from scratch today, and sometimes do the same thing. What a nutritious way to start the day, huh?

Sacrilege! :)

Porridge should only be made with PLAIN, steel-cut oats, soaked overnight, cooked with water and some milk if you like, small pinch of salt.. when ready it should be served with a small amount of milk and a sprinkling of salt. No jams, sugars, spices, fruits etc! :mrgreen:

Take it from a native of the country that invented it!:) :chef:

Phil, I love your ideas--everyone else's, too! Once I started eating steel cut, I can't stand the flavored instant stuff.

I've moved this to the grains forum.

Mmm. Sounds similar to how I have mine, only I make mine thick and with milk, and don't put the vanilla or anything else to sweeten it. Just cinnamon, nutmeg, (sometimes allspice), and walnuts. Plus mushy bananas. It tastes kind of like banana bread then.

I have steel cut oats soaking to cook for tomorrow's breakfast.
We like it with a little milk and Golden Syrup.
It is so delicious!!!!!

Hehe see, Ishbel has a little device installed in the brain that goes off when ever someone talks about porridge. Then the spiel about plain oats and salt is imminent!

Ishbel, I've been thinking about this for awhile now, do you know or heard of any recipes that involve using oats in the same manner as other grains (such as rice in a risotto or pilaf, or bulghur etc) as an accompaniment to a main meal?

I'm not talking about oat (or oat flour) pancakes by the way.

No.... just in things like skirlie or as one of the ingredients in a sweet or savoury 'crumble' mix.

See a lot of barley type accompaniments to things like venison nowadays... very trendy and appears to be upstaging puy lentils .... as in 'serve on a bed of':)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom