Sauces for tagliatelle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all - have 'away' for a short while, but I'm glad to be back. Here's my recipe for rabbit ragù that somebody asked for. This recipe was passed on to me by a most delightful lady whom we all liked to call 'Nonna Betti', which in English is 'Gran'ma Betti'. Betti is the surname. I met her when I was in Italy with wine merchant clients search of interesting wines. We were invited to the 'Castello Gancia' (we were in an area that produced Asti Spumante, as well as other very interesting wines). Anyway, Nonna Betti was a fabulous cook, and this is her recipe for Hunter's rabbit:

1 whole rabbit (1 1/2kg)
Bouquet garni of rosemary, sage, bay leaf, marjoram or origan.
The rabbit's liver

Make a 'soffritto' (the flavorings usually used as further flavourings, and which are the backbone of many Italian dishes):

onion,
garlic
chopped
carrot,
celery
1/2 bell pepper (peperone),
1 ripe tomato, cooked and blended with the other ingredients above.
1/2 wine glass vinegar,
1 pinch sugar,
1 lemon, peeled and sliced.

Mix together the ingredients above, and leave to marinade for 2 days.
After 2 days, take the rabbit out of the marinade and set to one side. Now add the liver to the marinade and cook gently until the liver is full cooked.

Next, take the rabbit and brown gently with lardons of pork fat sufficient, to brown the rabbit all over, and to dissolve the lardons leaving a delicate flavour of them.

Now take your braising pan. I have terracotta pots, they work very well, in the oven, on the hob, over an open fire etc. Put the rabbit, brown it all over to seal it, and all the other ingredients in your pan of choice. If it goes a bit dry, just add some more of the marinade liquid.

The cooking liquid is also delicious with Tagliatelle. Many people do a 1st course with the tagliatelle, and a main course with the rabbit.

Hope you enjoy this!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom