"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Head Chef

Savory Oatmeal

Where's the breakfast forum??

I don't do sweets very often, especially not in the morning! I've turned into a huge fan of this quick and simple savory breakfast if I don't have any steel cut oats made. (I may or may not have had this for dinner a time or two as well.)

1/2 old-fashioned oats
1 c water
1 t soy sauce
a few grates off a fresh hunk of parmesan

Nuke for a couple minutes.

Top w/ a poached egg. Or two.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Head Chef

Maybe call it oat grits and toss some sausage or bacon in there.

What if a guy used 1/4 cup each oatmeal and quick grits?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
What if a guy used 1/4 cup each oatmeal and quick grits?
Not sure! I don't have any. But if you try it, lemme know. And mmm bacon. That would be the perfect addition.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Master Chef

A couple years back on DC, we had this friendly competition called Golden Chef, where we would choose and ingredient, or theme, and make recipes, post them, and have members vote as to whose was thought most successful. It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. You also had to post pictures. The very first one featured oat products as the theme ingredient. Take a look and see if there are any recipes from their that you might want to try. Here's the link: Who Wants to be Discuss Cooking's Virtual Golden Chef?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Where's the breakfast forum??

I don't do sweets very often, especially not in the morning! I've turned into a huge fan of this quick and simple savory breakfast if I don't have any steel cut oats made. (I may or may not have had this for dinner a time or two as well.)

1/2 old-fashioned oats
1 c water
1 t soy sauce
a few grates off a fresh hunk of parmesan

Nuke for a couple minutes.

Top w/ a poached egg. Or two.
this i gotta try! thank you, zereh.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Mine isn't exactly savory, but I think it's much more wholesome than oatmeal with brown sugar or maple syrup or the like. I recently discovered PB2, which is powdered peanut butter. Per 2 tablespoons, it has a similar protein content to regular peanut butter but only 1.5 g fat. I can't quite picture making a sandwich from it, but it's perfect when you take a spoonful and add it to the dry oats before microwaving. Gives a perfect hint of nutty taste (not as strong or sweet as if you stir in actual peanut butter) and adds a good amount of protein. I do that, plus a few hefty dashes of cinnamon.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm keeping track of this one. I need all the ideas I can get to keep up with my oatmeal intake and not get bored with it.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

PriFi, steel cut oats can be substituted for barley in soups, or used in place of cornmeal to make polenta style recipe. You can also use rolled oats in cookies, add it to breads, muffins, pancakes, and other quickbread recipes. Put the uncooked oatmeal into your blender and turn it into oat flour. You now have an ingredient that can be used in vanishing oat cookies, as a thickener, or again in any quick-bread.

If you are looking for the benefits of soluble fiber in your diet, whole grain barley is even more rich as a fiber source. Both can be substituted for rice in pilaf recipes. Add either steel cut oats, groats, or barley to your next batch of chicken soup instead of rice or noodles. Or add the oat-flour to your dumpling dough for chicken and dumplings.

Cooked steel cut oat and barley are a great addition to various salads. Mix a bit of uncooked rolled oats to your favorite yogurt, or better yet, add brown sugar, butter, a touch of flour, some cinnamon, and a pinch of salt to make a crumble. Bake it off, break it up, and sprinkle it on your yogurt, ice cream, puddings, mix with fresh fruit, etc.

Cook the oats or barley in strong meat stock to make savory porridge. Add onion, herbs and spices. Yeh, I've done it and served it as a side. It's great.

Add oatmeal, or barley to rice dressing, to serve with baked poultry. Or, add either, or both to bread dressing to increase the nutritional value of the dressing.

You might even add the steel cut oats, or barley to tomato sauce and peppers, to make something like spanish rice. Or, put them in your next gumbo.

That oughta give you a couple of ideas to make your oatmeal interesting and delicious, anything but boring.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks Chief, but I was going for no-brain breakfasts. You know, cook the oatmeal and add something to it...

I cook up lots of steelcut oats for breakfast.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
Master Chef

Ok, here's one you may not have tried, oatmeal, with maple syrup and crumbled bacon.
2. Oatmeat with cream, vanilla, and chopped orange slices, sweetened with stevia.
3. Oatmeal with stevia, chopped apples and cinnamon.
4. Oatmeal with peaches, cream, and stevial
5. Oatmeal with honey, blueberries, and milk
6. Oatmeal with eggnog
7. Oatmeal with brownsugar, vanilla, and a touch salt (butterscotch), add butter.
8. Oatmeal with chicken, and barbecue sauce (who says you can't change it up at breadfast).
9. Chocolate Oatmeal with fresh raspberries, or raspberry jam and dark chocolate shavings.
10. Oatmeal with cocoa, stevia, and milk

Ok, now you have breakfast, lunch, and supper covered.

Make a pudding out of the steel-cut oats, like rice pudding, and you have desert. Or add cooked steel-cut oats to vanilla pudding, to make something similar to tapioca pudding.

Or remember that crisp topping. put it on top of apple crisp.
that should fix you up.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tags
oatmeal, parmesan, poached egg, recipe, soy sauce

Savory Oatmeal Where's the breakfast forum?? I don't do sweets very often, especially not in the morning! I've turned into a huge fan of this quick and simple savory breakfast if I don't have any steel cut oats made. (I may or may not have had this for dinner a time or two as well.) 1/2 old-fashioned oats 1 c water 1 t soy sauce a few grates off a fresh hunk of parmesan Nuke for a couple minutes. Top w/ a poached egg. Or two. 3 stars 1 reviews