"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #11
Flour Child

oooohhhh...then i LIKE it! Good idea!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I did know that scampi is the name of a crustacean, but thought it was the Italian word for shrimp. Now I know better....

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
That's because, according to my Italian boss whose been in the USA for about 10 years, (I promise that's not meant to sound condescending) in at least the part of Italy where he grew up, scampi are considered a type of shrimp in terms of cooking. Classic shrimp, prawns, scampi & even similar things like crawfish are all generally lumped into the "shrimp" category. It may just be a colloquialism specific to his area, town, neighborhood, etc, but it would make sense given the general confusion. I asked him one day why he had labeled a special that evening "scampi," when it contained no shrimp or scampi, and he explained that to me and also that, thanks to us, the word scampi now also refers to that particular preparation of garlic and olive oil or butter as well, so it's become correct to use it that way. That's the beauty and horror of the English language. It's a living, breathing animal that changes all the time. Let's just be grateful that scampi has come to mean a food preparation instead of becoming an expletive like so many other formerly innocent words.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Master Chef

Wow! Between Zfranka, BT, and Sprout, my culinary language skills have grown significantly. Thanks.

I will always cringe invisibly when my older sister calls her herbed tomato sauce - maryanna sauce, or when my Canadian freinds pronounce tortillas - tor-till-uz instead of tor-tee-yuz. Oh how yoopers can butcher the food terms. And let us not for get con queso, pronounced -kon-kway-so.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
!

Quote:
As for the Bologese part, again, I was taught that tomato based sauces with meat were called Bolognese, after the town of Bologna, which is famous for its meats.
Bolognese is definitely a meat sauce, but the only tomato that's included in any of the traditional recipes I have seen or been taught (by Italians) have onlyt a bit of tomato paste included.

Quote:
And marinara, well there's a confusing term. It's root word Marine, describes anything equated with
The root of Marinara is indeed "Marine," but traditional Marinara sauces were made by fishermen who caught NOTHING! Hence, marinara sauce is a tomato sauce with nothing more in it than basil and garlic.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Bolognese is definitely a meat sauce, but the only tomato that's included in any of the traditional recipes I have seen or been taught (by Italians) have onlyt a bit of tomato paste included...

Right. It's a tomato flavored meat sauce, not a meat flavored tomato sauce.

In the US, it has sadly come to mean tomato sauce with meat in it.

Tags
onion, recipe, sausage, shrimp, tomatoes

Scampi Marinara Bolognaise with Spaghetti Another throw together meal experiment that came out very tasty indeed. I had 20 easy-peel raw tiger shrimp in the freezer, a bit of left over tomato gravy, some turkey breakfast sausage, and fresh, ripe tomatoes and onions from the garden. So,I put it all to good use in a pasta dish. Ingredients: 2 vine ripened tomatoes, diced into bite-sized chunks 1 onion, coarsely diced 7 peeled and de-veined tiger shrimp 1/2 cup tomato Sauce 1 tsp. dried oregano 1 tsp. dried sweet basil 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/4 lb. breakfast sausage 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning Spaghetti Noodles for two people I diced two tomatoes and one onion and threw them in a saucepan with 3 cloves of minced garlic. I let them stew for about ten minutes. Meanwhile, I got the sausage browning and peeled the shrimp. My wife's shrimp was saute'd in butter and garlic, the way she loves them, with a side salad mad out of a peeled and rough-dice English cucumber, two fresh tomatoes, large dice, and Romaine lettuce. I took my half of the shrimp, cut them into pieces and threw them into the cooking sauce along with the cooked sausage. I took the shrimp peelings and threw them into a pot with water and Old Bay Seasoning. They simmered for about 15 minutes. I removed the shrimp peelings and added the spaghetti noodles to the pot and cooked until almost done. I then added the sauce and cooked for ten more minutes to finish cooking the pasta. Oh, and dried oregano, and basil were added to the cooking tomatoes and onions. The result is a very tasty batch of spaghetti with lots of spicy-meaty-sauce flavored with succulent and tender shrimp. I didn't even add any cheese because the flavor is great. The Old Bay and shrimp really adds a new depth to this sauce.:chef: Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North 3 stars 1 reviews