"Shambles" Kedgeree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Romany123

Senior Cook
This used to be a popular breakfast dish here in the Uk many years ago. over the years we have changed the recipe so much it Has become a "Shambles" speacial. Great on its own or with salad. If you have never cooked this dish before I urge you to try it

"Shambles" Kedgeree

1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tsp Curry powder (or amount to your own taste)
tsp Turmeric powder
1 cup (or 240g) of long grain rice. I use Tesco's "easy cook"
½ Fish stock cube. You can use fresh stock, but remember to take this into acount as part of the overall liquid content
2 heaped tsp dried parsley. If you have fresh in the garden, so much the better.
½ pound Smoked Haddock chopped into 1 inch peices
2 Hard boiled eggs chopped up
1 dash Lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
½ tablespoon Olive oil

1 Put the oil in a heavy saucepan and heat. Add the onions to the pot and simmer covered on a low heat for about 7 minutes, covered.

2 While the onions are cooking and in the same size cup as you measured the rice in, put in the dried Parsley and fish stock cube. Top up with hot water and allow to stand untill needed.

3 Add the curry powder and Turmeric stir in for about one minute

4 Now add the rice and mix well coating all the grains with the Curry / Onion mixture. Add the cup of water with the stock and Parsley, stir. top up the same cup with water and add to the rice.

5 Bring to the boil, then turn down to a very low simmer and cover. Leave covered for ten minutes.

6 After the ten minutes is up, remove the lid and add the Eggs, Fish, lemon, Salt and Pepper. stir together, put the lid back on and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Turn of the burner and leave covered for another 5minutes, Taste and serve

7 Note If you are using fresh Parsley add it at the ten minute stage. It is also important not to remove the lid during the cooking and standing stages

I'm one of the few UK based members here - so much of my early input here was to post traditional British dishes - not just Scottish ones! Everything from toad in the hole to clootie dumpling :chef:

actually ish, there's always been several members from the u.k., including the original owner of the site. everyone from darkstream to kyles (ok, a transplant, but well known and respected member to make my point.)
however, you have certainly been the most prolific poster from there, and have introduced so many people in the rest of the world to both english and scottish dishes, shattering the old prejudices and ignorance about the cuisine of your island.

I know there are several UK based posters, but they are few and far between, BT....and few post on a regular basis - Kyles is a great cook, but has other things in her life nowadays - and I have never held it against her that she's an Aussie.... :) :LOL:

Ishbel said:
I'm one of the few UK based members here - so much of my early input here was to post traditional British dishes - not just Scottish ones! Everything from toad in the hole to clootie dumpling :chef:

And quite right to :)

I used to live in Bedford and am posting this curios recipe that I must admit pinched it from the web. I thought it might be of interest :chef:

BEDFORDSHIRE CLANGER

This unique complete meal - savory at one end, sweet at the other - was made for Bedfordshire farm workers to sustain them through long, hard days out in the fields. This boiled suet meal is best eaten hot, with gravy and vegetables with the savory, and home-made custard with the sweet.

List of Ingredients

Butter - 25g (1 oz)
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Stewing steak - 450g (1 lb), diced
Ox kidney - 110g (4 oz), cleaned, skinned, cored and diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Suet pastry - 450g (1lb)
Cooking apples - 2 large, peeled, cored and diced
Raisins - 75g (2 oz)
Sugar - 2 tbsp

Recipe

Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently brown the onion, steak and kidney. Season well with salt and pepper.

Roll out the suet crust into a rectangle and cut off a thin strip from the shorter side. Place it in the middle to divide the pastry into two equal parts.

On one half, spread the meat mixture. On the other half place the apples, raisins and sugar.

Roll the pastry up gently like a Swiss Roll. Moisten and seal each end.

Wrap the roll loosely in greased foil and place in a large saucepan.

Cover with boiling water and simmer for 1½ hours, adding more water if necessary.

Serve the savoury end first, with vegetables and gravy. Re-wrap the remaining end and keep warm until required, then serve with custard.

Serves 4.

I should think not!!! I was always half an English person!

By the way, I adore kedgeree. Gotta have garam marsala in the spice mix at the beginning though! And the eggs not too well done, still a bit runny to mix in with the rice! And it's gotta be fresh parsley or leave it out!

There that's my tuppence worth!

Back to lurkdom!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom