"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #21
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne

I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #22
Senior Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
How about homemade mac and cheese? It really isn't that hard. It can be as simple as grating some cheddar (or even Velveeta) or tearing slices of American cheese in some just al dente macaroni and add some butter and milk though half and half or cream works well too (salt and pepper of course). Stirring until melted and combined.
Exactly. I've never quite understood boxed mac & cheese. The reason for this is the steps are exactly the same. Think about it. For either one, you still boil the pasta and drain it. You still add butter & milk and cheese (albeit powdered cheese in the boxed mix) and stir it all together. With either one you can then just eat it or you can place it in a lightly greased casserole, top with some breadcrumbs and bake it until bubbly and lightly browned on top. (I prefer mine baked.)

I'm not a food snob. I've always made mac & cheese the way my mom does using Velveeta (about 8 oz., cubed). I buy the large block of Velveeta (or the store brand, which will lead me to a new thread!) and wrap the remainder well in plastic wrap. Velveeta has the same half-life as plutonium

But seriously, I just never found the boxed stuff to be of any interest.

Either way, for add-ins, I'll stir in any one of these: diced ham, crumbed crispy bacon, cooked broccoli florets. I'm sure there are many more things I'm just not thinking of at the moment. I don't, however, like tomatoes in mac & cheese.

Ah! Just thought of something else I occasionally add. Diced smoked sausage rounds or some of those 'Lil Smokie smoked cocktail sausages cut in half.

FraidKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:30 AM   #23
Executive Chef
We always make home made as well - it was one of the first meals my sons learnt to cook. We usually add in cherry or sliced tomatoes and sausage.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
Home made always!

Extra Sharp cheddar

Cayenne Pepper...you will love it!!
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #25
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Sauted ground beef or Italian sausage with mushrooms, onion and garlic.
Ohhhh Yeahhhh! Polish sausage is another winner.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #26
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Pepperami sausage the very thin sort, sliced into half cm peices added to the sauce at the last minute, then a sprinkle of smoked paprika on the top is always nice :)
ham chunks or bacon, with a little Mustard powder in the dry mix works too.
Tuna with plenty parsley added and parmesan slivers ontop is also good, but add the salt water the Tuna comes in to the pasta liquid you`re boiling it in.

(tell me to shut up whenever you like)...

I`m a great beleiver in the old Jalapeno as mentioned above also.
try cooking the pasta in Beer instead of just plain water.
Sundried tomatoes or even the ones in olive oil are a nice addition.
Spinach is also great, but more as a comfort food as it doesn`t look too fantastic.
ever tried adding Pineapple chunks? trust me, it works well if you get the ballance right :)

I`ll shut up now :P
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #27
Head Chef
Mac & Cheese

Thought mac & cheese was a side dish (except for kids of course). Thinking outside the box is a good idea. I really really hate the stuff! Putting good things in it just stretches how much more you will have to endure. I might eat some and enjoy it if I had a good sausage on my plate or a hot toasted sandwich.
If I had to eat the stuff or had a big fan who has to have it and wants everyone to enjoy it with him, I would make a rich sauce with cream and butter and the cheese would depend on the pasta. I would definitely make noodles with flavor!
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #28
Assistant Cook
PEAS! Only the frozen or fresh kind.
kickchick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #29
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
A little gorganzola is always welcome in my Mac and Cheese

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
Ooooo I never thought of trying cooking the noodes in beer. I'll bet it tastes like Welsh Rarebit. My husband loves the stuff. I may have just found tonight's dinner.

luv2cook69 is offline   Reply With Quote