Sick of plain mac and cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mac n Cheese

I also like to add chopped jarred jalapenos but add crumbled bacon or chopped ham, onion, garlic and sometimes sliced black and green olives.

How about homemade mac and cheese? It really isn't that hard. It can be as simple as grating some cheddar (or even Velveeta) or tearing slices of American cheese in some just al dente macaroni and add some butter and milk though half and half or cream works well too :rolleyes: (salt and pepper of course). Stirring until melted and combined. Once it starts to cool it will thicken up. You just have to be sure to not add too much milk so go slowly on that at first. Another key is enough butter and salt.

There are more gourmet versions that in my book are just as easy - just takes a bit more prep work and some mise en place.

Possible other additions could be green chilies, diced canned tomatoes (drained).

If you want a more "gourmet" recipe just holler, I'll post one. There's lots of homemade recipes out there that call for baking. Even the recipe I have been using calls for baking but I don't - I like it thick with cheese and creamy. The baking makes it dryer, which I do not prefer. So, if you find a recipe out there like this one, which is a great one to start with taste it before you bake it - that's the way we like it and of course, I don't add the breadcrumbs.

We have made this recipe using many different cheeses through the years. We have found we do NOT like smoked cheeses as they overpower the dish. A blend of jack and cheddar is good - but we like that old-fashioned taste of all cheddar the best :blush: plain, not sharp :cool:

I add 4oz cream cheese to a box of mac and cheese. It makes it creamier. I've also been known to add tomato soup, ground beef and onions. A favorite is ground beef and lemon pepper.

A can of diced green chiles and some diced ham. Kitchenelf is right about homemade, though.

For a main dish, add some diced ham.
Another really good addition to mac and cheese (to the sauce) that adds a flavor you can't quite "get" is mayonnaise.

Steph, I'm with KE on making your own MNC. If you go with the boxed, you could add a can of Rotel, spinach, and/or proscuitto/ham/bacon or French's fried onions.

I make either a white sauce/bechamel or add in different cheeses like Gruyere and fresh tomatoes. My fave is a Caprese pasta salad -- cooked pasta, fresh basil, evoo, fresh buffalo mozzarella or boccocini (sp) & freshly-ground black pepper. Another fave is a Greek rendition (i.e. similar to Pastitsio) - Feta cheese and oregano. Another goodie - prepare the mac, and add freshly grated Parm regianno with butter, salt & pepper - add fresh basil.

Last edited:
mish said:
Steph, I'm with KE on making your own MNC. If you go with the boxed, you could add a can of Rotel, spinach, and/or proscuitto/ham/bacon or French's fried onions.

I make either a white sauce/bechamel or add in different cheeses like Gruyere and fresh tomatoes. My fave is a Caprese pasta salad -- cooked pasta, fresh basil, evoo, fresh buffalo mozzarella or boccocini (sp) & freshly-ground black pepper. Another fave is a Greek rendition (i.e. similar to Pastitsio) - or use Feta cheese and oregano. Many, many ways to go.

Mish - homemade is the best that's for sure.

I can't believe you mentioned that Caprese pasta salad - I made the EXACT same thing all summer except for my "dressing" I combined, in a food processor, fresh garlic, kosher salt, evoo, and fresh basil - made that my dressing. We would get together for cookouts and was always a hit - as the simple things usually are!!!! My favorite pasta for this dish was radiattore - you make me crave it right now!!!!!!!

kitchenelf said:
Mish - homemade is the best that's for sure.

I can't believe you mentioned that Caprese pasta salad - I made the EXACT same thing all summer except for my "dressing" I combined, in a food processor, fresh garlic, kosher salt, evoo, and fresh basil - made that my dressing. We would get together for cookouts and was always a hit - as the simple things usually are!!!! My favorite pasta for this dish was radiattore - you make me crave it right now!!!!!!!

Life doesn't get much better than Caprese :chef: Sounds like you did a pesto Caprese. I'm likin' it!!!:) Could you pass me the garlic bread? LOL Now I'm thinking, toss in some toasted pine nuts. YUM.

Last edited:
Kind of pesto - it was very thin and only those 3 ingredients (minus the pine nuts, Parmesan, and lime juice, which I add to my pesto and boy is it good!

(sorry, steph - I won't hijack your thread - mish, later I will PM you a great panino I do.

kitchenelf said:
Kind of pesto - it was very thin and only those 3 ingredients (minus the pine nuts, Parmesan, and lime juice, which I add to my pesto and boy is it good!

(sorry, steph - I won't hijack your thread - mish, later I will PM you a great panino I do.

I like the sound of the lime juice, elf. It's still mac n cheese, as long as there's cheese in there :LOL: I adore pasta, and I will go thru my recipes. Think I have a mac n cheese bruschetta. Will post when I can.:)

A tip, if you are a garlic lover -- rub the serving bowls with a cut clove of garlic. When you serve the hot pasta (and cheese) in the bowls, the pasta will absorb the garlic flavor/taste.

Or - Make a cream sauce of heavy cream, shallots, garlic and fresh grated parm regianno.

Last edited:
My kids used to love boxed Mac & Cheese with a can of chili without beans and some frozen or canned corn. Then I'd grate a little extra cheese on top and put it in the oven for a few. It's still a favorite. Also a can of diced tomatoes would be good especially with some diced pepperoni.

Home made mac & cheese is so easy - My Mom would just dump the cooked macaroni into a buttered baking dish, pour a can of evaporated milk on top, and stir in grated cheese along with some salt and a lot of pepper. She put some extra cheese on top and baked at 350 until bubbly and starting to brown on top. Super easy - and way better than the box.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom