Simple Side Dish...Onion Orzo with Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I needed a starch side dish for dinner last night, and was out of rice and potatoes. I threw this together and it turned out great, and really tasty, so thought I'd share.....

In a med. size saucepan...
Saute' fresh mushrooms in butter. (canned mushrooms would work)
1 cup of Orzo pasta
2 cups water
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix

Bring to a boil, cover and take heat down to lowest setting. Cook for 15 min. Remove cover, and fluff with a fork. Return lid for 5 minutes.

I was shocked at how good it was, with a wonderful "mouth feel" and flavor. Husband said this is a keeper.

I needed a starch side dish for dinner last night, and was out of rice and potatoes. I threw this together and it turned out great, and really tasty, so thought I'd share.....

In a med. size saucepan...
Saute' fresh mushrooms in butter. (canned mushrooms would work)
1 cup of Orzo pasta
2 cups water
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix

Bring to a boil, cover and take heat down to lowest setting. Cook for 15 min. Remove cover, and fluff with a fork. Return lid for 5 minutes.

I was shocked at how good it was, with a wonderful "mouth feel" and flavor. Husband said this is a keeper.
Kayele,
I do the same thing:)The only thing differerent Is sauteed garlic cook orzo in chicken broth abd fresh cut onion. Tth kids ask for it all the time,
kades:)

Kayele,
I do the same thing:)The only thing differerent Is sauteed garlic cook orzo in chicken broth abd fresh cut onion. Tth kids ask for it all the time,
kades:)

That sounds good too Kades. It was really good with the dry onion soup mix, and I'm wondering how it would be with other dry soup mixes, like Lipton chicken noodle, or Knorr vegetable soup mix.

Onion soup mix is one of my favorite semi-homemade items and is a staple in my kitchen.

I really like this recipe you posted. I've put orzo on the grocery list (for next month).

Is Onion Orzo with Mushrooms going to be the name? How about OOM? Or something cuter?

That sounds good too Kades. It was really good with the dry onion soup mix, and I'm wondering how it would be with other dry soup mixes, like Lipton chicken noodle, or Knorr vegetable soup mix.

I did this with Knorr vegetable soup mix last night. While it was pretty with the vegetable in it, I didn't like the flavor, so I'm sticking with the onion soup mix. Just thought I'd pass on the update.

Today, this is as good as it was way back then, but tonight I added sun dried chopped tomatoes to the mixture with rave results for such a simple recipe.

Attachments

• P3230004[1].jpg
    P3230004[1].jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 254
Today, this is as good as it was way back then, but tonight I added sun dried chopped tomatoes to the mixture with rave results for such a simple recipe.

I always have rice and packaged onion soup on hand. Those two items stay on my grocery list, whether I need them or not. And canned mushrooms. Right now (Pirate did last months shopping) I have six small cans of them also.

One of my favorite veggies to eat all by myself is stewed canned American tomatoes. Pirate does not like them as just a veggie on their own. Good! More for me.

Back
Top Bottom