"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Cook

Simplest fried rice recipe

Hi, this is the first time ever I am here to share my recipe. Hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients
cooked rice that is cooled (one cup of rice)
chopped green shallots * you can skip but usually I like it for
chopped onion * you can skip too if you want to be simple
better flavor and color
egg x1
soy sauce
salt

OK, any rice is fine, but I tend to use rice of the cheapest I can get
because honestly speaking, I think the best rice should not be served fried.

First, I recommend using a little bit less water for cooking the rice (normally
the water to rice ratio is 1:1) but a little bit less water will make the rice less
wet which will make the cooling faster and the frying easier.

After the rice is cooked let them cool in the room temperature for some time.

During the time, you can stir the egg first. IMO one egg is enough for one cup of rice. Egg is very important or the rice grains will stick together which is not a good fried rice.

When the rice is cooled enough, mix the egg with the rice roughly.

(Another extra tips is to separate the egg white from the yolk, and mix only the yolk with the rice, leave the egg white behind)

In this case, fry the egg white first.

Add enough oil to the heated wok, as the wok is hot enough, turn down the heat (especially important if you are using stainless steel cookware), put the rice mixed with yolk and then fry it quickly.

You'll easily find that there must be some rice grains sticking with each other, in that case, try to cut them with your spatula as you are frying.

It's difficult to tell how long it takes to fry because we only have rice and the rice is cooked. IMO stop whenever you think most of the rice grains are
not sticking into a ball.

Remember to add some salt and the chopped green shallot and mix them
with the rice for a few seconds then it's done.

If you have ingredients like onion, garlic or meat, remember always to fry them first, and rice second, because they need to be cooked, but the rice is already cooked.

A picture of my work

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

That looks like a ceramic plate to me, not a wok.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That looks like a ceramic plate to me, not a wok.
It says WORK, not wok.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It says WORK, not wok.
+1
-------------------------

Kenny, thank you for sharing your fried rice recipe. It sounds delicious. And I love your plate.

Just this morning I had something similar for breakfast. A cup of leftover refrigerated rice, heated in a small skillet, with a splash of soy sauce. Pushed it to the side, scrambled an egg in the same pan and then mixed it all together. Yummy.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post

...any rice is fine, but I tend to use rice of the cheapest I can get
because honestly speaking, I think the best rice should not be served fried.

Almost always, I use leftover rice from the fridge (short grain, bastami, or jasmine). And leftover rice is usually dry so they fry well...
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:47 AM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Almost always, I use leftover rice from the fridge (short grain, bastami, or jasmine). And leftover rice is usually dry so they fry well...
Not too much difference between new rice and leftover rice from my experience, so I almost always use newly cooked rice for frying
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Not too much difference between new rice and leftover rice from my experience, so I almost always use newly cooked rice for frying

I almost always use leftover ingredients when making FR.
I rarely cook rice for the sole purpose of making FR.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
Master Chef

Never cool rice at room temperature. Always cool it in the fridge.

Rice is the source of a common and very nasty type of food poisoning
Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The texture alone would tell you leftover from freshly cooked rice, in my humble opinion.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

With fresh rice I've ended up with a sticky mess. It's just not dry enough.

If I don't have leftover rice, I spread the freshly cooked rice on a sheet pan and pop it in the freezer until it's really cold. Works well for me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, rice

Simplest fried rice recipe Hi, this is the first time ever I am here to share my recipe. Hope you enjoy it. Ingredients cooked rice that is cooled (one cup of rice) chopped green shallots * you can skip but usually I like it for chopped onion * you can skip too if you want to be simple better flavor and color egg x1 soy sauce salt OK, any rice is fine, but I tend to use rice of the cheapest I can get because honestly speaking, I think the best rice should not be served fried. First, I recommend using a little bit less water for cooking the rice (normally the water to rice ratio is 1:1) but a little bit less water will make the rice less wet which will make the cooling faster and the frying easier. After the rice is cooked let them cool in the room temperature for some time. During the time, you can stir the egg first. IMO one egg is enough for one cup of rice. Egg is very important or the rice grains will stick together which is not a good fried rice. When the rice is cooled enough, mix the egg with the rice roughly. (Another extra tips is to separate the egg white from the yolk, and mix only the yolk with the rice, leave the egg white behind) In this case, fry the egg white first. Add enough oil to the heated wok, as the wok is hot enough, turn down the heat (especially important if you are using stainless steel cookware), put the rice mixed with yolk and then fry it quickly. You'll easily find that there must be some rice grains sticking with each other, in that case, try to cut them with your spatula as you are frying. It's difficult to tell how long it takes to fry because we only have rice and the rice is cooked. IMO stop whenever you think most of the rice grains are not sticking into a ball. Remember to add some salt and the chopped green shallot and mix them with the rice for a few seconds then it's done. If you have ingredients like onion, garlic or meat, remember always to fry them first, and rice second, because they need to be cooked, but the rice is already cooked. A picture of my work [url=https://ibb.co/ts2P80X][img]https://i.ibb.co/DCMg5Bp/20190320-013629.jpg[/img][/url] 3 stars 1 reviews