Snip's Signature Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poooolenta! I'll surely try your polenta recipe, with some variations, as soon as the temperature drops down... maybe in October!

Thanks for you recipe from the land of the Polentoni :LOL:

Poooolenta! I'll surely try your polenta recipe, with some variations, as soon as the temperature drops down... maybe in October!

Thanks for you recipe from the land of the Polentoni :LOL:

Hope you enjoy it :) I change the filling sometimes too. I make it with creamed spinach, sometimes I just add tomato to the mushroom and onion mix etc.

So I've been thinking about this recipe since Snip posted a pic. Even reading it, it sounds interesting. I do have some questions though.
1. Polenta is not something I usually buy. I know it is another name for cornmeal. Can I use the same cornmeal I use to make cornbread or is it something else I'm looking for? Can grits be substituted?
2. What would be a substitute for the Aromat seasoning?

I know recipes can be tweaked to satisfy tastes and regions but I tend to try to stick pretty close to the original recipe the first time through then adjust to my family preference. I've cooked grits before but not like this and would like to try to make this dish.

So I've been thinking about this recipe since Snip posted a pic. Even reading it, it sounds interesting. I do have some questions though.
1. Polenta is not something I usually buy. I know it is another name for cornmeal. Can I use the same cornmeal I use to make cornbread or is it something else I'm looking for? Can grits be substituted?

I know recipes can be tweaked to satisfy tastes and regions but I tend to try to stick pretty close to the original recipe the first time through then adjust to my family preference. I've cooked grits before but not like this and would like to try to make this dish.

Polenta is usually a coarser grind than corn meal, but cornmeal works, too!

I would go for a medium ground cornmeal if you want to use that. Not the very finely ground variety. Polenta would be the closest though. White and yellow polenta work well. As long as you cook it to the right consistency. It should set once cooled so it must be soft but hold it's shape.
Aromat is a seasoning salt, I would look it up if I were you and get an idea of which local seasoning salt would be a good substitute. Otherwise just use salt.

Aromat

Hope this helps :)
If you have any more questions just shout!

Okay so from the advice here, I'm thinking grits might be closer to polenta than basic corn meal. I can deal with that. Looking at the pics I thought it looked more like grits. Thanks for the tips. If Irene passes us without too much trouble, I'll try this out this weekend using grits and Lawry's seasoned salt in place of the aromat.

Okay so from the advice here, I'm thinking grits might be closer to polenta than basic corn meal. I can deal with that. Looking at the pics I thought it looked more like grits. Thanks for the tips. If Irene passes us without too much trouble, I'll try this out this weekend using grits and Lawry's seasoned salt in place of the aromat.

I had a look on Google and Lawry's seasoning salt is as close as you could possibly get to Aromat :)
I will make a note on my side for future recipe posts!
Corn Grits sound like it would be the right thing to use. Pap (what we use) is a ground maize meal made from white corn and sometimes we also use the yellow variety.
As long as you stick to a corn meal that is not superfine it will work in my recipes.
I do try and adjust my recipes according to what is available in America but I
sometimes I'm not sure what is available.

My thoughts are with all of you and praying that no one has too much damage with the storms.

Thanks Snip. Polenta is available here but is often more expensive. It has taken on a gourmet aspect here in the US and that means higher prices! I'd have to look for it in the international sections of the grocery! Grits (living in the South) are readily available! Lots of variety. I thought of Lawry's when you called aromat a seasoned salt. Lawry's is a staple in my house and use it in a lot dishes in place of regular salt. About the only place I use regular salt is in baking!

We're getting ready for the storm. Have the gas cans and cars full. Water is getting put up in gallon milk jugs and plastic soda bottles. Some went into the freezer. We'll fill the tub and the wading pool for the dog at the last minute and use those to flush. Got propane tanks for the grill and the camper stove, camping lantern ready. Should do fine. We weathered the direct hit of category 2 hurricane Isabel several years ago just fine so aren't worried now. Thanks for thinking of us.

Thanks Snip. Polenta is available here but is often more expensive. It has taken on a gourmet aspect here in the US and that means higher prices! I'd have to look for it in the international sections of the grocery! Grits (living in the South) are readily available! Lots of variety. I thought of Lawry's when you called aromat a seasoned salt. Lawry's is a staple in my house and use it in a lot dishes in place of regular salt. About the only place I use regular salt is in baking!

We're getting ready for the storm. Have the gas cans and cars full. Water is getting put up in gallon milk jugs and plastic soda bottles. Some went into the freezer. We'll fill the tub and the wading pool for the dog at the last minute and use those to flush. Got propane tanks for the grill and the camper stove, camping lantern ready. Should do fine. We weathered the direct hit of category 2 hurricane Isabel several years ago just fine so aren't worried now. Thanks for thinking of us.

Polenta is also readily available here and way more expensive than regular corn meal. I hardly ever buy it since it's pretty much the same thing as our local varieties. I only go for quick cooking polenta to save time when I have the cash to splurge.
I use aromat in all my savoury dishes instead of salt :) I think it's addictive :LOL:
The ingredients are almost identical to the Lawry's Seasoning you mentioned.
I trust all will be fine with the Hurricane Issues but I will pray for you guys anyway :)
You all seem like such nice people on DC, I would hate for anything bad to happen to any of you!

I finally got around to making this tonight to go with our chicken sandwiches. DH likes it. I liked it. The yungun ate it but wasn't thrilled. I think I will halve the recipe the next time I make it since we had over half of the lasagna pan left over! I used less mushrooms and only used them on a third of the pan since I am the only one who likes mushrooms.

This sounds good. I don't know about eating it with my hands though, lol.

I thought this might be easier. This is my polenta tart Pac. In the pic I made it with curried mince. Just sub the bacon and mushroom mix for.....

1 pound of ground beef
1 large onion
1 can of chopped tomatoes
2 tsps of Indian curry paste or powder
salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp of paprika
splash of worcestershire sauce

Brown onions in a little oil with curry, add beef and fry till browned. Add a splash of w/ sauce, the canned tomato, the paprika and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Layer with polenta and cream as with the bacon. Top with grated mozza and cheddar and slices of fresh tomato. Bake for 30-40 mins at 350F. Slice and serve with veggies or salad :)

Season the polenta with butter and salt. The polenta should form a thick porridge. Firm enough to be spread evenly in a lasagna dish.

39908-albums375-picture2922.jpg

Last edited:
Looks and sounds really good, Snip! Have you ever used that meat mixture in tacos?

Looks and sounds really good, Snip! Have you ever used that meat mixture in tacos?

Thanks Z :)
Yes I've used the meat mix in Tacos, to stuff pancakes, on pizza and my family's favourite with fatcakes.
Fatcakes are just balls of ready made white bread dough that are deep fried in oil.

I thought this might be easier. This is my polenta tart Pac. In the pic I made it with curried mince. Just sub the bacon and mushroom mix for.....

1 pound of ground beef
1 large onion
1 can of chopped tomatoes
2 tsps of Indian curry paste or powder
salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp of paprika
splash of worcestershire sauce

Brown onions in a little oil with curry, add beef and fry till browned. Add a splash of w/ sauce, the canned tomato, the paprika and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Layer with polenta and cream as with the bacon. Top with grated mozza and cheddar and slices of fresh tomato. Bake for 30-40 mins at 350F. Slice and serve with veggies or salad :)

Season the polenta with butter and salt. The polenta should form a thick porridge. Firm enough to be spread evenly in a lasagna dish.

39908-albums375-picture2922.jpg

Gorgeous!
Polenta just went on my list for next trip to the grocery store.

You're welcome.
I might combine both recipes. I hate to discard the bacon and mushrooms :pig:

Back
Top Bottom