Snip's Signature Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
I've been thinking long and hard about what my signature dish is and I believe this would be it. We have a traditional Afrikaans dish in SA and this is my version. Very different from the original. I made it for my first husband when we got married the first night we spent together in our home. It's the one side dish that everyone asks me to bring to a braai (BBQ) and family and friends all eat it with their hands otherwise they're not allowed to have any. That's my rule :LOL:
Both of my children ate this as their first grown up meal and still ask for eat when they want comfort food.

Odette's Pap Tert (White polenta bake)

White polenta (We use pap in SA but white polenta is the same thing)
1 punnet of portabello mushrooms halved and sliced.
1 large onion thinly sliced
1 cup of cream
1 pound of streaky bacon chopped and fried till crisp.
Aromat seasoning and ground black pepper to taste
Salt
1 tsp of paprika
1 cup of grated mozzarella
1 cup of grated gouda cheese

You'll need one lasagna dish, I use a 30cm x 30cm dish, 6cm deep.

On a medium heat fry the onions in butter till translucent, add mushrooms and paprika. Season with Aromat and Black pepper to taste. Fry till mushrooms are fully cooked and set aside till needed.
Cook enough polenta to just about fill your lasagna dish, salt and add butter to taste. (The polenta should be the consistancy of mashed potato.)
Butter your lasagna dish and spoon half of the cooked polenta into the dish flattening as you go. Spread half of the onion and mushrooms evenly over top and sprinkle with half the crispy bacon and half of both cheeses. Pour half the cream over and spoon remaining polenta on top of this evenly. Add the rest of the onion and mushroom mix, bacon and cream as before, top with remaining cheese. Dust lightly with a bit more paprika.

Bake at 350F for 30 mins or until cheese is golden and melted.

Serve alongside BBQ'd meats or protein of choice.

I wouldn't make this while on a diet :LOL:
It's very rich but a delicious treat!

Knob of butter

Last edited:
This sounds good. I don't know about eating it with my hands though, lol.

I've been thinking long and hard about what my signature dish is and I believe this would be it. We have a traditional Afrikaans dish in SA and this is my version. Very different from the original. I made it for my first husband when we got married the first night we spent together in our home. It's the one side dish that everyone asks me to bring to a braai (BBQ) and family and friends all eat it with their hands otherwise they're not allowed to have any. That's my rule :LOL:
Both of my children ate this as their first grown up meal and still ask for eat when they want comfort food.

Odette's Pap Tert (White polenta bake)

White polenta (We use pap in SA but white polenta is the same thing)
1 punnet of portabello mushrooms halved and sliced.
1 large onion thinly sliced
1 cup of cream
1 pound of streaky bacon chopped and fried till crisp.
Aromat seasoning and ground black pepper to taste
Salt
1 tsp of paprika
1 cup of grated mozzarella
1 cup of grated gouda cheese

You'll need one lasagna dish, I use a 30cm x 30cm dish, 6cm deep.

On a medium heat fry the onions in butter till translucent, add mushrooms and paprika. Season with Aromat and Black pepper to taste. Fry till mushrooms are fully cooked and set aside till needed.
Cook enough polenta to just about fill your lasagna dish, salt and add butter to taste. (The polenta should be the consistancy of mashed potato.)
Butter your lasagna dish and spoon half of the cooked polenta into the dish flattening as you go. Spread half of the onion and mushrooms evenly over top and sprinkle with half the crispy bacon and half of both cheeses. Pour half the cream over and spoon remaining polenta on top of this evenly. Add the rest of the onion and mushroom mix, bacon and cream as before, top with remaining cheese. Dust lightly with a bit more paprika.

Bake at 350F for 30 mins or until cheese is golden and melted.

Serve alongside BBQ'd meats or protein of choice.

I wouldn't make this while on a diet :LOL:
It's very rich but a delicious treat!

Knob of butter

Uh uhm! Pay attention now class, I'm only going to say this once. A punnet of mushrooms contains 300gr or 10.58 ounces of mushrooms :LOL:
Sorry guys I don't know any better I'm from Africa!!!!!

And just so you know...
Our mushrooms generally come in 8 oz or 12 oz containers, but we can also buy them by bulk, or loose (at least crimini and portobellos).

:)

And just so you know...
Our mushrooms generally come in 8 oz or 12 oz containers, but we can also buy them by bulk, or loose (at least crimini and portobellos).

:)
Ours come out of the horse field, half a pun is better than none;)

Lekker Lekker Snipo, I can imagine laying in front of my log fire(clothing optional) on a winters afternoon after eating that.
Ps Pap means female breasts in Lancashire:ermm:

Lekker Lekker Snipo, I can imagine laying in front of my log fire(clothing optional) on a winters afternoon after eating that.
Ps Pap means female breasts in Lancashire:ermm:

Pap has more than one meaning in SA, it could mean tired, flat (like as in flat tyre) or pap that we eat :LOL:
I would suggest you at least wear your buffet pants and loosen a button when eating this :P
It's very lekker!

Back
Top Bottom