"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

I thought that the reason beans cause gas is that they haven't been cooked enough? For some reason, I remember either seeing this on FoodTV or reading it somewhere...

????

Old 01-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

edited

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
I thought that the reason beans cause gas is that they haven't been cooked enough? For some reason, I remember either seeing this on FoodTV or reading it somewhere...

????
Undercooking is also a factor.

"To avoid stomach aches and flatulence, never eat a crunchy bean. Cook beans thoroughly.

This breaks down indigestible enzymes present in raw beans. Soaking is also vital to happy digestion, which removes much of the indigestible sugar, (ogliosaccharides), in beans. Unfortunately, humans cannot digest these sugars in their stomach, so they travel to the intestines where bacterial enzymes break them down, producing methane, hydrogen and carbon dioxide. You will notice how beans foam when they soak this is due to the sugar extraction."
source: http://<a href="http://www.infowest..../beans.htm</a>

What I reccomend is soak the beans, then cook them thoroughly in the soak water to help retain more of the flavor (flavor is why us foodies are foodies ins't it?) and if you have a problem with gas, use Bean-o or a product like it.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Moved this to Pasta, Rice, and Grains, which includes beans, in case anyone else wondered about this same thing.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom discovered that if she brought the beans to a boil with plenty of baking soda, then rinsed and soaked them, they weren't as likely to cause gas.

:) Barbara
Old 01-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #16
Master Chef

What I was taught: Soak beans to insure tender end product. Or, bring washed beans to a boil, remove from heat, and let sit for 20 minutes. Then bring to a simmer and cook until tender. The addition of salt will not inhibit the softening, but the addition of acidic ingrediants will cause the beans to remain tough and undercooked.

Personal experience: I have found very little difference between cooking soaked and unsoaked beans. I have never suffered from flatulence or indigestion from eating beans (that's a good thing). I have found that adding acidic ingredients before the bean is completely tender will make the bean tough. I have even had almost completely tender beans turn tough when tomato was added to them.

The tough beans have been saved by removing the tough product from heat, refrigerating overnigh, then re-baking the next day. Don't know why this works.

I believe the high protien content of the beans reacts with acid and stops the water penetration and absorption, much like the protien on the surface of meat tightens and keeps acidic marinades from penetrating.

Hope this helps. All I can say is that the answer is found only by experimentation, and observation.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #17

I'd been looking at this thread for a while...

GoodWeed sort of crystallised it tonight with the "acid" thing...

With complete respect for Barbara L, my curiousity was piqued by historical writers who all mention how they boiled their "water" added the beans to "soak" with a whack of baking soda, before "cooking" the next day...

Now, remember, "beans", today, might not be so "dried" as those on issue to "pioneers" a hundred odd years ago...

This also relates to an now "ancient" posting thread between Audeo and myself on the Chili issues, where she related about "Original Texas Chili" which does "not" include beans...in that I pointed out that the "Chuck" wagon, had its own cook, who marched beside same, "stirring the mix" along the way...(oxen/cattle move VERY SLOWLY!) so this wasn't any "Light Infantry March!"...and so would not sacks of dried beans been "added" as they became "edible"?

Likewise, adding "scraps" of beef to the "mix" seems weird...where were the "good cuts" going to, unless it was to "settlers" in exchange to work, laundry services, and trades for "vegetables", which would likely have included tomato, onions, peppers etc...

Sorry if this "wanders" the point of the original thread, but I've been reading this stuff a long time, and its terribly interesting to "contrast it with" moderns chefs...

Lifter

Tags
None