"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
K-girl, lasagna rollups are a great idea. I made some a few years back, they freeze well, and I'd dig out a few at a time.
Same here. I never would have thought they'd freeze so well, but they do.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
You can also doctor up jarred sauce. We like Emeril's Kicked-Up sauce, and I may add some crushed black olives, mushrooms, maybe some fried onions, a bit of fried burger or Italian sausage. Or you can just use it plain.
You can, of course. I generally only make lasagna once a year, for DH's birthday, so I make it the way I've been making it for 30+ years. It's special for us

Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #33
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
We went today to check out our new homes progress and there is a "dollar" store on the frontage road leading into our new place. So I thought I'd stop to peak if they had my rectangular aluminum pans, AND THEY HAD THEM!!!
Couldn't be happier, now I can shared with our upstairs landlord's... I made WAY too much Kalua Pig and Cabage tonight for dinner ...

[file photo, I didn't make the lomi salmon tonight]
and I think I'll share with them tomorrow for their long day at work.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I dunno where I got these, I think from sir King Arthur Flour? or Vermont Country store but I have two pyrex pans that are kind of perfect for a one off lasagna. Well goodness they say they are not good for oven, I will reserve the link, but anchorhocking has given me small pans in the past.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
I dunno where I got these, I think from sir King Arthur Flour? or Vermont Country store but I have two pyrex pans that are kind of perfect for a one off lasagna. Well goodness they say they are not good for oven, I will reserve the link, but anchorhocking has given me small pans in the past.
I thought Pyrex was always oven safe. What else would you do with a Pyrex pan but bake? It seems very strange.

I just bought an anchor hocking triple spout one cup measuring cup that says it cannot be used in the microwave. I love it and I have a Pyrex one cup so alls good. It's perfect for making dressing in. LOL
Old 10-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #36
Master Chef

+1, msmofet....I can't imagine Pyrex bakeware cautioning against oven use.

Fox, I have some older (before the formula change) and newer Pyrex bakeware, and have never had a problem with either for baking. I wouldn't put any glassware under a broiler though, and also avoid sudden temperature changes.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
+1, msmofet....I can't imagine Pyrex bakeware cautioning against oven use.

Fox, I have some older (before the formula change) and newer Pyrex bakeware, and have never had a problem with either for baking. I wouldn't put any glassware under a broiler though, and also avoid sudden temperature changes.
I've read Pyrex labels that told you not to BROIL but never not to bake.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #38
Master Chef

Pyrex used to be renowned for using borosilicate glass which resisted expansion and contraction due to temperature. It did not shatter when placed under a broiler, or over a gas flame. It was used extensively in labs, where beakers, and test tubes were exposed to flame. Pyrex also made cookware from the same glass. Anchor-Hocking, and other glass bakeware companies used, and still use tempered soda-glass.

Tempered glass is more resistant to mechanical shock, but is highly susceptible to shattering due to thermal shock. Pyrex changed the glass they use for kitchen cookware to tempered glass, and so is the same as Anchor-Hocking and the rest. It is no longer safe for use with direct flame. I even had a chafing dish, that came with little sterno-type fuel cans. I was using it and it shattered on me.

For true borosilicate glass cookware, check out Arcuisine Elegance, which is made in France but also sold in the U.S. for about $29 I'm sure there are other brands out there as well.

So, Pyrex is no longer the very safe, and highly usable glass cookware that it once was.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #39
Executive Chef

When my step daughter was a teen, I used to make up my lasagne the night before and refrigerate it to be baked the next day. She could put it in the oven when she got home from school and it would be baked and rested by the time DH and I got home from work. One day I came home and right away I could see the marks on the side of the pan, indicating that she did not remove the plastic wrap before baking it! LOL From then on, my note always said "Please remove the plastic wrap from the lasagne pan and bake it at 350, for 45 min."
Old 10-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I thought Pyrex was always oven safe. What else would you do with a Pyrex pan but bake? It seems very strange.

L

Jello salads and other refrigerated desserts? I have never trusted glass in the oven. My mother always used metal baking pans, and so do I.

Tags
lasagna, recipe

SOS HELP with Lasagna HELP!!! I have two pans of Lasagna that I put together yesterday, parked in the refrigerator until about an hour and a half before we serve. The directions on the Barilla Lasagna Noodles box directs to cook the cold pan for 60 minutes, but then for the "just made up pan" it says to bake covered for 20 minutes and then top with the last layer of cheeses.... So with that said, would I still add that last layer of cheese at the last 10 minutes? :blush: I've never cooked lasagna this way before... can ya tell? :wink: 3 stars 1 reviews