SOS HELP with Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love lasagna, unfortunately have not found a recipe for one or two servings. But this thread reminds me of when, as a family of 4 kids, 2 adults, I would make it occasionally (time required and cheese $$ made it an occasional dish).

So I made it one day, took it from the oven to let it "rest". Went to the family room - the show they were all watching was about 10 minutes to finish - perfect! The lasagna was resting the garlic bread was wrapped in foil in the oven - perfect.
Show finished, we all went upstairs to eat. There was our German Shepherd standing on the table gulping down the last of the lasagna.

PB & J anyone? with garlic bread?
and how the .***. did she eat that HOT lasagna without blistering her tongue and throat!

I htink I would have scolded the dog resolutely, then turned to the crew and said; "I heard they eat dog in china.":mrgreen::LOL: I then would have probably offered grilled cheese, or the famous pancakes with sausage or bacon, or both.

seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Love lasagna, unfortunately have not found a recipe for one or two servings. But this thread reminds me of when, as a family of 4 kids, 2 adults, I would make it occasionally (time required and cheese $$ made it an occasional dish).

So I made it one day, took it from the oven to let it "rest". Went to the family room - the show they were all watching was about 10 minutes to finish - perfect! The lasagna was resting the garlic bread was wrapped in foil in the oven - perfect.

Show finished, we all went upstairs to eat. There was our German Shepherd standing on the table gulping down the last of the lasagna.

PB & J anyone? with garlic bread?

and how the .***. did she eat that HOT lasagna without blistering her tongue and throat!

:ROFLMAO: Dogs are amazing people! Very talented!

Dragn, have you tried crockpot lasagna? You can make as much or as little as you want. Very easy.

Last edited:
I made single servings of lasagna for my FIL when we made him freezer meals. I made my lasagna sauce (about a gallon - we kept some at home and took some with us to Michigan to make his meals there) and layered it with cheese and partially cooked sheets of lasagna noodles cut to fit in mini loaf pans.

For me, making the sauce is so time-consuming, I can't imagine doing that for just one or two servings. Here's my recipe, if you're interested: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/tnt-lasagna-45084.html

Last edited:
Well, guiltily, I have to admit, when I saw her standing on the table and the dish almost empty, I could only think of only two things... 1. the $$ that went into it. Not what I was going to feed the family... 2. how her tongue and throat must be burning... :LOL: my bad!

I also envisioned her hearing us coming up the stairs and trying to gulp even faster to get it all in before we arrived!

Thanks Dawg, I'll check out a slow cooker one!
and thanks to you too GG. will get on it right after I can start breathing again...

man this pneumonia has broken but is dragn (pun! haha) on close to a month now. Debilitating. My daughter's litany has been, 'wait til I leave then cough yourself inside out and die' 'please don't do it on my watch!' LOL!!!

You can also doctor up jarred sauce. We like Emeril's Kicked-Up sauce, and I may add some crushed black olives, mushrooms, maybe some fried onions, a bit of fried burger or Italian sausage. Or you can just use it plain.

Last edited:
Lasagna for two?
How about Lasagna Roll Ups?
There's tons of recipes out there ... just make your
favorite recipe (I use jarred sauce alot of times) but instead of layering,
roll and place in a small casserole;
proceed as usual.
Personally, I make up several small pans
of lasagna at once for the freezer (or to share with neighbors).
small lasagna to share.jpg
I like those small-ish aluminum pans with the cardboard covers
for this. They can go from freezer straight to the oven.

K-girl, lasagna rollups are a great idea. I made some a few years back, they freeze well, and I'd dig out a few at a time.

I also make lasagnas in disposable loaf pans. They happen to be just the right size for Barilla's lasagna sheets. The recipe I use makes three loaf pans. I freeze them uncooked.

As a matter of fact, I'm due for another batch.

You can also doctor up jarred sauce. We like Emeril's Kicked-Up sauce, and I may add some crushed black olives, mushrooms, maybe some fried onions, a bit of fried burger or Italian sausage. Or you can just use it plain.

You can, of course. I generally only make lasagna once a year, for DH's birthday, so I make it the way I've been making it for 30+ years. It's special for us ;) :wub:

We went today to check out our new homes progress and there is a "dollar" store on the frontage road leading into our new place. So I thought I'd stop to peak if they had my rectangular aluminum pans, AND THEY HAD THEM!!!
Couldn't be happier, now I can shared with our upstairs landlord's... I made WAY too much Kalua Pig and Cabage tonight for dinner ...
56875-albums1036-picture6418.jpg

[file photo, I didn't make the lomi salmon tonight]
and I think I'll share with them tomorrow for their long day at work.

I dunno where I got these, I think from sir King Arthur Flour? or Vermont Country store but I have two pyrex pans that are kind of perfect for a one off lasagna. Well goodness they say they are not good for oven, I will reserve the link, but anchorhocking has given me small pans in the past.

I dunno where I got these, I think from sir King Arthur Flour? or Vermont Country store but I have two pyrex pans that are kind of perfect for a one off lasagna. Well goodness they say they are not good for oven, I will reserve the link, but anchorhocking has given me small pans in the past.

I thought Pyrex was always oven safe. What else would you do with a Pyrex pan but bake? It seems very strange.

I just bought an anchor hocking triple spout one cup measuring cup that says it cannot be used in the microwave. I love it and I have a Pyrex one cup so alls good. It's perfect for making dressing in. LOL

Last edited:
+1, msmofet....I can't imagine Pyrex bakeware cautioning against oven use. :huh:

Fox, I have some older (before the formula change) and newer Pyrex bakeware, and have never had a problem with either for baking. I wouldn't put any glassware under a broiler though, and also avoid sudden temperature changes.

Last edited:
+1, msmofet....I can't imagine Pyrex bakeware cautioning against oven use. :huh:

Fox, I have some older (before the formula change) and newer Pyrex bakeware, and have never had a problem with either for baking. I wouldn't put any glassware under a broiler though, and also avoid sudden temperature changes.

I've read Pyrex labels that told you not to BROIL but never not to bake.

Pyrex used to be renowned for using borosilicate glass which resisted expansion and contraction due to temperature. It did not shatter when placed under a broiler, or over a gas flame. It was used extensively in labs, where beakers, and test tubes were exposed to flame. Pyrex also made cookware from the same glass. Anchor-Hocking, and other glass bakeware companies used, and still use tempered soda-glass.

Tempered glass is more resistant to mechanical shock, but is highly susceptible to shattering due to thermal shock. Pyrex changed the glass they use for kitchen cookware to tempered glass, and so is the same as Anchor-Hocking and the rest. It is no longer safe for use with direct flame. I even had a chafing dish, that came with little sterno-type fuel cans. I was using it and it shattered on me.

For true borosilicate glass cookware, check out Arcuisine Elegance, which is made in France but also sold in the U.S. for about $29 I'm sure there are other brands out there as well.

So, Pyrex is no longer the very safe, and highly usable glass cookware that it once was.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When my step daughter was a teen, I used to make up my lasagne the night before and refrigerate it to be baked the next day. She could put it in the oven when she got home from school and it would be baked and rested by the time DH and I got home from work. One day I came home and right away I could see the marks on the side of the pan, indicating that she did not remove the plastic wrap before baking it! LOL From then on, my note always said "Please remove the plastic wrap from the lasagne pan and bake it at 350, for 45 min."

I thought Pyrex was always oven safe. What else would you do with a Pyrex pan but bake? It seems very strange.

L

Jello salads and other refrigerated desserts? I have never trusted glass in the oven. My mother always used metal baking pans, and so do I.

Back
Top Bottom