"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I like the 15 bean soup with canned tomatoes,onions,sausage...
for other beans I like to use onions bacon and sometimes shredded carrots...

Old 08-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Rachael Ray has a recipe for basically a bean soup to which she added kale. I think it had some Polish sausage or such also for a main dish meal. Looked really good.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
Master Chef

InTheKitchen - I use kale in soup & pasta recipes all the time, but I'm confused by your comment/request for recipes for kale that is "drying up". I use fresh (from the supermarket or my garden) kale - not old "drying up" stuff.

Do you mean kale that's been sitting in your fridge for too long, kale that didn't get enough water in your garden, or. . . ?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
InTheKitchen - I use kale in soup & pasta recipes all the time, but I'm confused by your comment/request for recipes for kale that is "drying up". I use fresh (from the supermarket or my garden) kale - not old "drying up" stuff.

Do you mean kale that's been sitting in your fridge for too long, kale that didn't get enough water in your garden, or. . . ?
Has been in fridge too long and want to use before have to throw it out. Just got it Sunday and seems to be drying out fast. I always thought to fix like spinach and wanted something new that the individual liked. Seems all healthy stuff gets old fast. Trying to keep up w/peaches, cherries, watermelon before too dry. Wouldn't it be great to have some kind of soup w/fruit? Maybe not. Have thrown all together for salad of fruit. Just curious. Like to try something new and always ask here. Thanks, BreezyCooking for asking.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:01 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Has been in fridge too long and want to use before have to throw it out. Just got it Sunday and seems to be drying out fast. I always thought to fix like spinach and wanted something new that the individual liked. Seems all healthy stuff gets old fast. Trying to keep up w/peaches, cherries, watermelon before too dry. Wouldn't it be great to have some kind of soup w/fruit? Maybe not. Have thrown all together for salad of fruit. Just curious. Like to try something new and always ask here. Thanks, BreezyCooking for asking.
There are many fruit-based soups. I have several in my cookbook. They can be had both hot and cold. Do a quick Google-search and you will find a host of recipes. Then, just make them and enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

Well, age of Kale notwithstanding - lol - here's my favorite soup using kale:

PORTUGUESE KALE & TURKEY SAUSAGE SOUP

One medium onion, peeled & chopped
One pound of kale, de-ribbed & roughly sliced/chopped
1-1/2 quarts or so of chicken stock (if not homemade, I usually use one carton + one can of Swanson's)
Two medium potatoes, peeled & diced -OR- two cans of cannelini/white kidney beans, rinsed **
One package (usually 12 to 16 ounces) turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large soup pot add enough olive oil to coat the bottom & saute onion until starting to soften, but not brown. Add sliced sausage & continue sauteeing until everything is just starting to brown a little. Add chicken stock & diced potatoes (if using) & simmer until potatoes are tender - about 15 minutes or so. Add kale & continue cooking until kale is tender. (** if using beans instead of potatoes, add chicken stock & bring to a simmer. Add kale & cook until tender; then add beans & stir gently until beans are just heated thru.) Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste & serve.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Thanks

Thanks BreezyCooking and Goodweed. I have noted and will have to try tomorrow. Had to save something today as it was getting bad. Kale must wait till tomorrow. I will try.

Also check w/Google but I always feel partial to DC recipes. thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I often chiffonade kale or spinach in many of my soups. It adds many vitamins and adds a little more interest to the soup.

In fact one of my chef friends introduced me to adding romaine lettuce to chicken or shrimp soups...I love it.

Tags
None