"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Soupy Lasagna

I made lasagna for the first time ever a couple days ago and it tasted wonderful. The only issue I had was that the sauce was very soupy and runny. I used the basics...lasagna noodles, hamburger, Prego pasta sauce, ricotta cheese and mozzarella for the top. I layered them in that order. What can I do to avoid this for next time? Do you think I maybe cut into it before it had ample time to cool down? Any ideas?

Old 06-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Not waiting long enough is a major cause of soupyness. After taking it out of the oven, it should rest for a minimum of 30 minutes and as much as an hour.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never made lasagna with commercial sauces since I use the recipe that came from my Italian part of the family from Sicily. But one thing we always do is to dry the noodles on a clean towel or paper towels before layering. That might help reduce some of the moisture.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Executive Chef

If you baked it covered, bake it the last 1/3 cooking time uncovered.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Was your sauce thick enough to begin with ? ( adding enough ground beef to thicken your sauce). Only put enough to cover each layer nicely, and you must let it set up.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I agree with the above, plus I use an egg mixed with the ricotta/
Old 06-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

you could try using the "no boil" lasagna noodles. i've had success with them in the past. they soften by absorbing the liquid from the surrounding ingredients, so you're almost guaranteed a non-runny lasagna.

just be careful to put sauce and other ingredients edge to edge on these noodles as you layer them, or you'll get the opposite; dry, hard spots.

if you still prefer regular noodles, do what k.t.e said and blot them. also, remove excess moisture from the ricotta by using a cheese cloth when possible.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Okay, here's a question, but did you by any chance use raw ground beef instead of browning it before you built the lasagna? Grease from the ground beef cooking IN the dish would turn the sauce soupy.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I've never made lasagna with commercial sauces since I use the recipe that came from my Italian part of the family from Sicily. But one thing we always do is to dry the noodles on a clean towel or paper towels before layering. That might help reduce some of the moisture.
I wanted to thank you, I have never heard of a paper towel used before for the noodles! That's pretty neat! As for the main question I'm sorry I can't help. I have only helped make lasagna, never actually made it by myself!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Head Chef

It's hard to guess, w/o seeing the recipe. If the sauce itself is too watery, add some tomato paste or cooked/drained ground beef or sausage.

I start with a layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. If you ladeled too much sauce between the layers & dumped more sauce on top, that may be another reason it was "soupy." I add the final topping of mozzarella (cheeses) about 1/2 hour prior to he end of cooking time (removing the foil). I let it rest (after removing from the oven) about 20 minutes. Hope that helps.

Tags
None