Soupy Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
I made lasagna for the first time ever a couple days ago and it tasted wonderful. The only issue I had was that the sauce was very soupy and runny. I used the basics...lasagna noodles, hamburger, Prego pasta sauce, ricotta cheese and mozzarella for the top. I layered them in that order. What can I do to avoid this for next time? Do you think I maybe cut into it before it had ample time to cool down? Any ideas?

Not waiting long enough is a major cause of soupyness. After taking it out of the oven, it should rest for a minimum of 30 minutes and as much as an hour.

I've never made lasagna with commercial sauces since I use the recipe that came from my Italian part of the family from Sicily. But one thing we always do is to dry the noodles on a clean towel or paper towels before layering. That might help reduce some of the moisture.

Was your sauce thick enough to begin with ? ( adding enough ground beef to thicken your sauce). Only put enough to cover each layer nicely, and you must let it set up.

you could try using the "no boil" lasagna noodles. i've had success with them in the past. they soften by absorbing the liquid from the surrounding ingredients, so you're almost guaranteed a non-runny lasagna.

just be careful to put sauce and other ingredients edge to edge on these noodles as you layer them, or you'll get the opposite; dry, hard spots.

if you still prefer regular noodles, do what k.t.e said and blot them. also, remove excess moisture from the ricotta by using a cheese cloth when possible.

Okay, here's a question, but did you by any chance use raw ground beef instead of browning it before you built the lasagna? Grease from the ground beef cooking IN the dish would turn the sauce soupy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Katie E said:
I've never made lasagna with commercial sauces since I use the recipe that came from my Italian part of the family from Sicily. But one thing we always do is to dry the noodles on a clean towel or paper towels before layering. That might help reduce some of the moisture.

I wanted to thank you, I have never heard of a paper towel used before for the noodles! That's pretty neat! As for the main question I'm sorry I can't help. I have only helped make lasagna, never actually made it by myself!

It's hard to guess, w/o seeing the recipe. If the sauce itself is too watery, add some tomato paste or cooked/drained ground beef or sausage.

I start with a layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. If you ladeled too much sauce between the layers & dumped more sauce on top, that may be another reason it was "soupy." I add the final topping of mozzarella (cheeses) about 1/2 hour prior to he end of cooking time (removing the foil). I let it rest (after removing from the oven) about 20 minutes. Hope that helps.

dry the noodles or use no boil ones, add an egg to the ricotta mixture to help it firm up, (or the cottage cheese mixture if yoiu use that), make sure you drain the fat from the meat, remove the covering the last 10 -15 min of baking, and let it sit 20 min before serving. Your lasagna should be fine! enjoy

Andy M. said:
Not waiting long enough is a major cause of soupyness. After taking it out of the oven, it should rest for a minimum of 30 minutes and as much as an hour.

And it won't get cold? I definately didn't wait that long. Thank you!:)

Katie E said:

I did remember to do that...when I made it with my aunt when I was younger, I remember her doing that because I thought it was a bit strange.:glare: But now I understand the reason for it!

Jeekinz said:
If you baked it covered, bake it the last 1/3 cooking time uncovered.

I cooked it uncovered for about 45 minutes. I originally set the timer for half an hour but the top wasn't melted enough so I left it in there for another fifteen. I have had a lot of issues with my oven where things take longer to cook so maybe that affected it!

Barb L. said:
Was your sauce thick enough to begin with ? ( adding enough ground beef to thicken your sauce). Only put enough to cover each layer nicely, and you must let it set up.

I believe that it was. Do I just let it sit for a little while after I have made the layers to have it "set up"?

buckytom said:
you could try using the "no boil" lasagna noodles. i've had success with them in the past. they soften by absorbing the liquid from the surrounding ingredients, so you're almost guaranteed a non-runny lasagna.

just be careful to put sauce and other ingredients edge to edge on these noodles as you layer them, or you'll get the opposite; dry, hard spots.

if you still prefer regular noodles, do what k.t.e said and blot them. also, remove excess moisture from the ricotta by using a cheese cloth when possible.

My mom has made lasagna with no boil noodles and I wasn't very fond of it. It seemed like there were many spots that were still crunchy, like the noodle didn't get cooked. I will try the cheese cloth idea...I did notice that that was kind of runny as well. Thanks!

Caine said:
Okay, here's an question, but did you by any chance use raw ground beef instead of browning it before you built the lasagna? Grease from the ground beef cooking IN the dish would turn the sauce soupy.

No...but I appreciate you racking your brain for ideas to help me out! I browned and drained the beef very well before I put it in. Thanks!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
*amy* said:
It's hard to guess, w/o seeing the recipe. If the sauce itself is too watery, add some tomato paste or cooked/drained ground beef or sausage.

I start with a layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. If you ladeled too much sauce between the layers & dumped more sauce on top, that may be another reason it was "soupy." I add the final topping of mozzarella (cheeses) about 1/2 hour prior to he end of cooking time (removing the foil). I let it rest (after removing from the oven) about 20 minutes. Hope that helps.

Thank you, it does. I cooked it uncovered as I thought that's how to do it. I started with a layer of noodles at the bottom, then the beef, then the sauce which was just enough to cover the meat and then the ricotta. I ended with a layer of noodles on top and put the mozzarella on top right away and cooked it. I will try you method next time and see if it comes out better.:)

Thank you everyone for your help! I really do appreciate it. I love being able to come here and ask anything I want and get different ways to fix my problem! :chef:

You are very welcome, Mrs. C. Another little nifty trick - layer the second and every other layer of noodles crosswise. It might help in sealing all the goodies together.;)

Back
Top Bottom